Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Where the fuck do we put the mouse?

MouseInTheHouseShit · 16/10/2021 13:40

At least I hope it is and not a rat..

Got some humane traps in, going to put them down today. What do we do with the fucker if/when we catch him? Drop him off at the old asshole neighbours house? Where on earth do we take him?

If it's a mouse I don't want it dead but if it's a rat, surely we can't release him somewhere? Or can we? I mean, they're diseased pests, right? Husband says drown it if it's a rat but I don't know if I can do that.

This is what I dreaded moving to the countryside. Fucking hell.

OP's posts:
Please
or

WeatherwaxOn · 16/10/2021 17:43

Please don't put poison down - it is a horrible way to kill an animal. Snap trap whist brutal is far more immediate and means that a poisoned creature won't enter the food chain.
Humane trap and release a long way off could work too, but it could cause distress/hypothermia etc.
If all consumables are securely stored then there will be less that is appealing to a rat/mouse

Please
or

Skysblue · 16/10/2021 17:45

Drive him to a wood.

Be sure that you’re carrying him in something lice can’t crawl out of. My cats brong mice in sometimes and lice is definitely a mouse thing!!

Please
or

MouseInTheHouseShit · 16/10/2021 17:52

@Cuddlyrottweiler

Do not use poison , it kills other wildlife and typically when animals are dying they go and hide in a private hole, you don't want a rotting rat in your house. And god don't drown it. How vile.

Release it in a nearby field and block the entranceway. It gives it a chance at survival.

Drowning it is not worse than poisoning it though is it, so saying that's vile but not having the same opinion on poison is fucking weird, seeing as the poison will be a much more drawn out death.
OP's posts:
Please
or

Wilkolampshade · 16/10/2021 17:57

I used to take ours to the nearest cathedral.

Please
or

furbabymama87 · 16/10/2021 18:04

You need to put poison down and block up any holes it's coming through. Otherwise you just keep getting them back and they'll be everywhere.

Please
or

SilverOtter · 16/10/2021 18:07

Send it into space on Jeff Bezos' giant penis

Please
or

Jangle33 · 16/10/2021 18:11

We caught a mouse in our London flat in a humane trap. Released it round the corner from our house where it promptly ran into the nearest road and got instantly run over

Please
or

Glumgal · 16/10/2021 18:13

@MouseInTheHouseShit

The mouse/rat has not entered the actual house. I should have said. It's only in the garage which has a door to the utility which has a door to the kitchen ofc, but it's a pretty big step to get into the utility so I don't think he can get up.. however, I need access to the garage and I can't go in there because it ends up in screaming, tears and running away.

I am very clearly not cut out to live here.

You do know mice can run up vertical walls don't you?
Please
or

Gonnagetgoing · 16/10/2021 18:17

@Grouperandoctopus

Far, far-away. They can come back from a remarkable distance away.
Tbh there seems to be some debate about just how humane a humane trap is as they’re likely to die wherever you leave them.
I gave a bit of nuts to the one I let you. And to be fair I think we caught 2 and let them go & we’ve never had evidence of more.
I also went round & tried to close obvious gaps & threw peppermint oil everywhere. And sometimes moved things about as apparently they are neophobes!

Humane traps don’t work as you have to release mouse far away from its usual family so it’ll get killed by new mice in new area.

Best thing to do sadly is to kill this one and block entry areas for new mice.
Please
or

Gonnagetgoing · 16/10/2021 18:18

@Wilkolampshade

I used to take ours to the nearest cathedral.

Bet they loved you!
Please
or

ConsuelaHammock · 16/10/2021 18:20

Get a snap trap. Don’t poison them. Snap traps are quick.
We have cats.

Please
or

Gonnagetgoing · 16/10/2021 18:23

@thetemptationofchocolate

I read a thread here once where people would put it in a sock and swing it hard against a wall.

I'm sure this would end the mouse but how would you get it in the sock?

I worked with a man who said he did this. Personally I find this just as cruel as poisoning because you’re bashing their brains in and o guarantee it’ll work first go.
Please
or

Gonnagetgoing · 16/10/2021 18:24

@ConsuelaHammock

Get a snap trap. Don’t poison them. Snap traps are quick.
We have cats.

I know people say cats are cruel but most cats I know kill fairly quickly. Including current one who’s a demon (half tabby half White, Spanish and originally had a sister so presumably honed her hunting skills with her).
Please
or

marajade12 · 16/10/2021 18:26

I found with the humane traps that some of the mice died anyway. Trap put out in evening and mouse dead by following morning. Other times they ate the bait and escaped the trap. Reverted to snap traps in the end as they were making a mess in the kitchen and not ideal with a toddler about.

Please
or

Wazzzzzzzup · 16/10/2021 18:29

@marajade12

I found with the humane traps that some of the mice died anyway. Trap put out in evening and mouse dead by following morning. Other times they ate the bait and escaped the trap. Reverted to snap traps in the end as they were making a mess in the kitchen and not ideal with a toddler about.

Might be heart attack from stress of the trap imo.
Please
or

HideousKinky · 16/10/2021 18:30

Our cat brings in mice - sometimes they're dead, sometimes they are alive and run under the furniture. We catch them and take them back outside. Why can't you just do this?

Please
or

Rubytoos · 16/10/2021 18:34

@SentDeliveredRead

Put poison down

Please don’t use poison. It’s an incredibly painful death.
Please
or

GSD20 · 16/10/2021 18:37

@HideousKinky we live very rurally and occasionally get them in too, we just put them in the garden then find wherever they got in and seal it. Never had any return or a huge infestation!
It’s part and parcel of living in an area like this I suppose.

Please
or

Scotmum83 · 16/10/2021 18:52

The humane ones worked for us, but take them quite far from your house or they just come back in lol

Please
or

StrongLegs · 16/10/2021 19:12

Hi,

We had epic trouble trying to control very infrequent visits by mice into our stair cupboard. In the end we had to block all the holes with special mouse-proof wire mesh and that seems to have worked. This is the stuff:

www.google.com/search?q=wire+mesh+mouse+proof&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB825GB825&sxsrf=AOaemvI2AoQaqOa74AMBF4xHiZnVQLP9ZA:1634407584177&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiz8-Pbws_zAhUMi1wKHclfAuQQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1920&bih=1057&dpr=1

We only figured it out because we got a very lively hamster, and after a year of trying to hamster-proof the house to keep her safe on her exercise walks, we realised what we were up against with the mice and got to grips with how to stop them coming in. The thing is that their teeth are so strong. I honestly think our current hamster is just a circular saw on legs. And the previous one climbed like spiderman and could fit through the tiniest holes. She was also a bit light on risk assessment and sometimes jammed herself into extremely narrow cracks and had to be extricated very carefully indeed.

The one weirdest thing I learned about our house mice is that they seemed to understand English. Once I was sitting up at night in the living room and a mouse came in the door. I turned around and said "Oh just go away would you, I'm busy. Go back in the stair cupboard!" and it turned round, went out of the living room, across the hall, and back into the stair cupboard.

Please
or

StrongLegs · 16/10/2021 19:15

@MrsLargeEmbodied

take it to london

This totally made my day though.
Please
or

charliebear78 · 16/10/2021 19:26

We keep the dry dog food in a plastic bin in the garage-One day I opened it to feed the dogs and a little mouse was sat happily munching away!
Not sure how it got into the bin-maybe we leaf the top slightly off.
Husband just emptied it outside, never saw any again.
Not much help to you but I could not kill them, but I am a huge animal lover and would probably be leaving food and bedding materials out for them if I did find them in our house!!! (as an aside I actually would love pet mice or rats)

Please
or

bloodywhitecat · 16/10/2021 19:26

Please consider the wider reaching affects of rat/mouse poison on the wider wildlife population when considering how to deal with furry intruders.

Please
or

Narwhalsh · 16/10/2021 19:29

Downside of the snap traps that we found-the corpses became dinner for other rats… several times we came out to check traps in the morning to only find heads, so we were then feeding the local rat population. They never exist as singletons

Please
or

kirinm · 16/10/2021 19:51

@MouseInTheHouseShit

The mouse/rat has not entered the actual house. I should have said. It's only in the garage which has a door to the utility which has a door to the kitchen ofc, but it's a pretty big step to get into the utility so I don't think he can get up.. however, I need access to the garage and I can't go in there because it ends up in screaming, tears and running away.

I am very clearly not cut out to live here.

We are in London and a rat managed to climb to the 4th floor of our building (thankfully not my flat) through a huge redundant pipe on the outside of the building.

If you've got one of anything, you've probably got more. They are a nightmare to get rid of (took us nearly 8 months.

Fingers crossed it's a mouse rather than rat.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.