Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Where the fuck do we put the mouse?

MouseInTheHouseShit · 16/10/2021 13:40

At least I hope it is and not a rat..

Got some humane traps in, going to put them down today. What do we do with the fucker if/when we catch him? Drop him off at the old asshole neighbours house? Where on earth do we take him?

If it's a mouse I don't want it dead but if it's a rat, surely we can't release him somewhere? Or can we? I mean, they're diseased pests, right? Husband says drown it if it's a rat but I don't know if I can do that.

This is what I dreaded moving to the countryside. Fucking hell.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MouseInTheHouseShit · 16/10/2021 14:07

@GiveMeTheShivers

We live in the countryside, people use them here.

But not you. Wink

No, because I can't think of much worse than coming in to the garage to grab the air fryer and seeing a nearly chopped in half animal. The live on won't be much better tbf.
OP's posts:
Please
or

MouseInTheHouseShit · 16/10/2021 14:08

@Scrowy

You just need to make the garage very unattractive for it. Peppermint oil everywhere. Regularly disturbed. No food or any items it can use for bedding etc.

Any friends with dogs? Just letting one have a good sniff around in there for a bit will help.

What have you actually seen/heard if you aren't sure what it is?

Oh yeah, I saw his ass as he ran away from me.
OP's posts:
Please
or

GiveMeTheShivers · 16/10/2021 14:14

No, because I can't think of much worse than coming in to the garage to grab the air fryer and seeing a nearly chopped in half animal.

What is worse is when they don’t work, as they often don’t. Then you see an injured animal. Drowning it is just unnecessarily cruel, usually talked about by people who like to think of themselves as tough but are lacking in something.

Please
or

Theoldcuriosityshop · 16/10/2021 14:21

I tried everything, he managed to evade every single trap. I saw him walk over the top of one.
I had him for over 2 weeks until he fell from the curtain into a waste paper basket, and was duly let go outside.

I then bought some of those plug in things that are supposed to deter mice, I've had them over 3 years and not another mouse.

I actually got used him in the end, he would saunter into the middle of the living room while I was there, very brazen Grin

Please
or

Wazzzzzzzup · 16/10/2021 14:21

You need snap traps. Humane traps are NOT humane. By taking a mouse from it's habitat and deopping it by itself in aome random nature spot, you are killing it, just very slowly...
Snap traps.

Please
or

Bluetrews25 · 16/10/2021 14:22

You can get plug in ultrasonic noise making repeller thingys.
Use tinfoil or wire wool to plug holes.

Please
or

Narwhalsh · 16/10/2021 14:22

If you catch it then drive it about 5 miles away, find some woods where it will be able to survive.

If you live in the countryside then you should think about getting an outdoor cat or two. If you’ve got a shed or outbuilding they will live in there, they don’t need to be in the house. Cat charities are often looking for homes for outdoor or feral cats. We got a couple and they have managed to keep on top of the rodents. Feed then once a day so
They keep coming back is all

Please
or

1forAll74 · 16/10/2021 14:23

My three cats, well one of them mostly, brings mice into the house, they are usually alive, so i try and catch them, not easy sometimes, in a box or something, then y them in the garden again. They don't all seem to be the same mouse that is brought in all the time, but must admit, i don't take all that much notice of their personal features !!

I would not like to kill a mouse personally, and not even a horrible rat, but at one time one of the cats brought in a dead headless rat as in ready done, ! not a pretty sight. i think one of the cats found it in that state in the garden.

Please
or

Scirocco · 16/10/2021 14:28

Humane traps are the way to go if possible. Then just take it a few miles away and release it.

Wildlife visitors are part of country life, and it's much better to have a humane system for dealing with these house guests, rather than killing them when you don't need to.

Even if it's a rat, there's no need to kill it. Just follow the same process and relocate it to a nice, far away place.

Please
or

GiveMeTheShivers · 16/10/2021 14:29

If you’ve got a shed or outbuilding they will live in there, they don’t need to be in the house.

We move them to the outbuilding furthest from our house and they live happily in there. Our ‘neighbours’, (not actually very close to our house) who don’t have any outbuildings, have brought ones they’ve caught to us and put them in there too. We’ve never had them come in the house.

Please
or

GeorgiaMcGraw · 16/10/2021 14:29

@Bluetrews25

You can get plug in ultrasonic noise making repeller thingys.
Use tinfoil or wire wool to plug holes.

I can vouch for the plug-ins that emit a sound we can't hear, but annoys mice. Cheap and cheerful and puts them off your place. After a few days, when you're sure the wee bugger (and any of its wee bugger-lets) have gone to bother your neighbours instead, go round the garage with something to fill any gaps. They can squeeze through tiny gaps like you wouldn't believe.
Please
or

scooterbear · 16/10/2021 14:31

I've got two Jack Russells and they were useless when we had mice. They just stared at them HmmWe had to put poison down in the end and block all the entry points to the house with mouse wire stuff.

Please
or

SilenceOfThePrams · 16/10/2021 14:33

Third the ultrasonic mouse repeller. Awesome devices. Can take a month as the mice won’t abandon babies in a nest but as soon as they can move out they’ll all go. They just move on. No bodies to deal with.

Please
or

Tootsey11 · 16/10/2021 14:34

Op, don't listen to the idiots on here who say no such thing as a humane trap. I've used them, they worked well for me and I'm out in the countryside. Just take the little fella outside far away and release him. They are entitled to a life just like anything else.

Please
or

DrNo007 · 16/10/2021 14:35

We’ve caught several rats in a humane trap and released them into woodland a few miles away. Rats are resourceful and I would not assume that they would die anyway. I like to give them a chance at least. Please do not drown animals—it is very cruel.

Please
or

ImFree2doasiwant · 16/10/2021 14:36

Just release it, and get the plug in deterrent thing. Those suggesting a cat - the only times I've had mice in the house us when my bastard cat has brought them in and released them to live a comfy existence inside or, to crawl away maimed and die in a difficult to access place, only to be discovered when the smell starts.

Op - don't drown it, and don't use poison (see above for crawling away, death and stinking)

Ensure no food, (human, pet,bird food etc) is left out,and also try to avoid any pikes of paper, blankets etc. They come in for food and bedding to chew up . Remove those and you'll have much less of a problem.

Please
or

picklemewalnuts · 16/10/2021 14:38

Put all stored goods (fabric stuff) in plastic lidded boxes, they won't bother to chew through that unless there's food in it.

Move things around, so you don't have safe cosy quiet corners.

Make sure there are no food items- bird seed etc.

Keep the doors into the house shut while you are in the garage.

Get the plug ins.

and then block the entrance holes- don't trap anything in with you!

That's the most humane way- encourage them to leave them stop them getting back in.

Encourage any visitors with dogs to come in and sniff around regularly.

Please
or

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 16/10/2021 14:38

more important is you block up the entry routes to your house

I was going to say just this!

Paid someone £400 to do ours, which included coming back a couple of times to check. Sounds a lot but was so worth it!

Please
or

Scrowy · 16/10/2021 14:39

@Tootsey11

Op, don't listen to the idiots on here who say no such thing as a humane trap. I've used them, they worked well for me and I'm out in the countryside. Just take the little fella outside far away and release him. They are entitled to a life just like anything else.

It's not very nice calling people idiots when they raise very valid cruelty concerns about so called humane traps.

Perhaps go and do some googling on the subject?

I'd rather an immediate death over a slow one lived out in fear and starvation.
Please
or

SusannahHolmes · 16/10/2021 14:39

We resorted to electrocution traps, caught 7 in a week that way. They alarm when they have caught a mouse and it is instantaneous.

The ultrasonic deterrents are still plugged in but do nothing.

Please
or

MouseInTheHouseShit · 16/10/2021 14:43

It's just conflicting advice😂
Kill it, release it, don't release it because it'll just die anyway.. it will not remain in my house, garage or inside, so what the fuck do I do?

I don't want to use the mouse scarer if it'll just go to the neighbours. We love them and they're elderly😟

OP's posts:
Please
or

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 16/10/2021 14:43

I found that peppermint oil and ultrasonic things do nothing.

Ultrasonic things are awful as children and alot of women can hear them.

Please
or

Darceyhemingway · 16/10/2021 14:44

We got a humane trap and let the mouse out at the field buy Apparently you're supposed to drive 5 miles to let it out! A cat is great but ours brings us all sorts of wonderful presents and picking up a half eaten mouse is absolutely disgusting

Please
or

stealthninjamum · 16/10/2021 14:45

Op I think you are underestimate how clever mice are. They have climbed up three stories in our cavity walls and moved into our loft. And they can dislocate their bones to fit into the tiniest gaps. I have found snap traps are the quickest death. We leave them in our garden for passing owls and cats which is much better than poisoning them all.

Please
or

LadyMacbethWasMisunderstood · 16/10/2021 14:46

I haven’t come on here to debate the rights and wrongs of different traps / methods of destruction, save to say, drowning a rat? Really? It’s genuinely quite upsetting to hear that some, otherwise apparently ordinary people, would consider doing such an awful thing.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.