Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to solve the mystery of the flappy gusset?

Sockbogies · 11/05/2020 16:22

So I noticed that some of my knickers from M&S have a rather strange gusset feature, in that it is not sewn in around all four edges leaving a rather odd pocket at the front. This troubled me greatly as my life is fairly dull and empty, so I decided to have a knicker gusset comparison study with my other underwear purchased from other companies. Most of the other pantage from other vendors had the gusset sewn in properly. What is the mystery pocket that M&S has kindly added actually for? AIBU for wanting to know the purpose of this odd little flap (pun intended)?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

blitzen · 11/05/2020 16:23

Is it to avoid seams/VPL type thing?

Please
or

pussycatinboots · 11/05/2020 16:26

Interesting...I noticed this with the last lot I got from M&S...I thought it might be for ventilation? Grin

Please
or

BelladonnaKebab · 11/05/2020 16:28

A handy pocket to carry sanitiser gel for when you are unable to maintain social distancing?

Please
or

Frariedeamin · 11/05/2020 16:29

It’s cheaper to manufacture them that way and that is most likely the reason. I make my own knickers and leave them open (or ‘flappy’) as the polyester thread going across the gusset pisses me off - probably not the reason m&s do it that way!

Please
or

Rainycloudyday · 11/05/2020 16:30

@Frariedeamin that’s impressive, homemade knickers!

Please
or

AlmostAlwyn · 11/05/2020 16:32

It's probably quicker to sew if you don't enclose the front part of the gusset Smile

Please
or

Frariedeamin · 11/05/2020 16:32

@Rainycloudyday it’s easy when you know how! I recommend looking up ‘bunzies’ if you ever fancy giving it a go!

Please
or

Justkeepswimmingdory · 11/05/2020 16:34

Answer at 4.29 minutes
Please
or

SeriouslySoDoneIn · 11/05/2020 16:34

I’m rather upset that I don’t own any knickers with a flap in them...

Please
or

julybaby32 · 11/05/2020 16:35

To enable you to carry a Top Secret Document safely whilst working as a spy. I thought everyone knew that!

My Great Aunt used to knit her own knickers when they stopped making "proper" ones.
(ie knee length heavy-weight knit)

Please
or

YummyVeggie · 11/05/2020 16:36

All my underwear are like that...

Please
or

dancemom · 11/05/2020 16:36

To slide a folded up tenner in for emergencies

Please
or

mrsbyers · 11/05/2020 16:37

An emergency £10

Please
or

mrsbyers · 11/05/2020 16:37

@dancemom snap !

Please
or

BelfryBat · 11/05/2020 16:38

It's simply easier to sew them that way than sew up the final seam. Money saving exercise.

Please
or

Cosyblanky · 11/05/2020 16:39

A bit of a vent for fanny farts

Please
or

pussycatinboots · 11/05/2020 16:41

Cosy and there was me being polite Wink

Please
or

dancemom · 11/05/2020 17:02

@mrsbyers clearly you and I are well prepared 🙌🏼

Please
or

Sockbogies · 11/05/2020 17:06

It's an aesthetic design apparently. I felt so strongly about the issue I messaged them. Initially Darren from Customer Services said he was sorry to hear about the issue and could I return the knickers and associated gusset to a store for further examination.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sockbogies · 11/05/2020 17:07

I had already worn the undercrackers so didn't fancy a gusset inspection, even after washing. So I messaged them again to say it wasn't a fault but obviously an intentional flap.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sockbogies · 11/05/2020 17:08

This was their reply: Hi Rachael, I've had a reply from our knicker-expert! I'll just pop it here

'A number of our knickers have this grown on ‘floating’ gusset due to design aesthetic. We have used this gusset construction for many years and offer both fixed and ‘floating’ gussets. All our knicker packs are generally fixed and our single selling garments with more design detail can sometimes have the floating gusset depending on styling.

Online, we show the knicker on the person and also as a flat shot, so the customer can see which style has a grown on floating gusset. Where there is a gusset seam, you can see this on the flat photo shot on line – I’ve just had a look and it is clear. If you cannot see a seam online where the front gusset goes, this will be a floating gusset.

I will bear this customer feedback in mind'

I hope this helps answer your question! - Conor

OP's posts:
Please
or

FelicityBeedle · 11/05/2020 17:08

A lot of my knickers have a sort of tunnel gusset, they’re all cheap brands though. As a young teen I wondered if it was to hold a sanitary device

Please
or

EngagedAgain · 11/05/2020 17:09

I've noticed this but can't remember the brand. Must admit I'm not keen, it feels like they haven't been properly finished. Surprised m and s do this.

Please
or

FlamingoAndJohn · 11/05/2020 17:10

I've noticed that before.
I've never really wondered why it was there.

Please
or

EngagedAgain · 11/05/2020 17:11

Goodness OP, how embarrassing that would have been with a phone call!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?