My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask if I HAVE to register my dogs microchip with Identibase??

42 replies

NoWifeyWork2020 · 27/12/2019 14:02

Vet microchipped pup today.

They gave me a card with registration instructions but you either pay 18 quid now for a lifetime premium membership or a load of money if you need to swap details

Their reviews ARE SHOCKING. All 1 star.

The pup already has the chip so do it have to pay this company?

I don't get how it works.

OP posts:
VivaLeBeaver · 27/12/2019 14:04

I think if you dont register if your dog goes missing and get scanned they wont know it’s our dog?

Saying that I never paid £18 extra. Just had the cat done at the vet, total cost of £25. Vet nurse wrote all my details down and did the registering. So the £25 inc the chipping and registering.

VivaLeBeaver · 27/12/2019 14:05

Your dog, not our dog.

NoWifeyWork2020 · 27/12/2019 14:07

I mean is there a free data base or something?

Surely with all the different companies there must be one database?

People who scan dogs can't go through dozens of companies?

I really don't want to pay for the premium package when it's got such awful reviews.

OP posts:
SwingingBy · 27/12/2019 14:10

You need to register your dog. If it goes missing it won't be on any database otherwise, so having it chipped would be a waste of time and money.
Look up Petlog and register with them.

Fluffycloudland77 · 27/12/2019 14:13

Register him.

MotherOfAllChristmases · 27/12/2019 14:16

Just pay £18 what's the big deal?

NoWifeyWork2020 · 27/12/2019 14:19

I want to register him. I'm asking if I have to do it with the company that is on the card they gave me.

Or can i register it with ANY company?
Who have better reviews.

OP posts:
NoWifeyWork2020 · 27/12/2019 14:20

Mother the big deal is that I've already paid for the microchipping and now I'm being asked to pay another 18 to buy a service that I can see from the reviews is non exist ant. The company doenst bother to update details. It doesn't send out the posters it promonises if your dog gets lost. It doesn't send out an alert to local vets like it says...

It looks like an awful company that I don't want to trust my dog with tbh!

OP posts:
Bananarama12 · 27/12/2019 14:20

No you have to do it with Identibase. Who cares about the reviews? It's a microchip same as all the others that's scanned and then they find your details. Dont know what you need reviews for that for.

NoWifeyWork2020 · 27/12/2019 14:22

People are saying if you change your number they take weeks. Even mo ths to do it.

And one woman was charged £100 to update her details once her pet was already lost

OP posts:
TheClausSeason · 27/12/2019 14:23

They don't update details, no. The onus is on the owners to do that. Are people upset because they think the chip will magically update when they move house or something?

TheClausSeason · 27/12/2019 14:23

Ah, cross post.

lovingllamaa · 27/12/2019 14:29

My cat has her chip with Identibase and I never paid anything extra other than the initial cost of getting her chip put in. The vet gave me a piece of paper with her chip number on and then I just put her details in on the website. I also changed my phone number recently and it didn’t cost anything to do that. You only need to pay the extra if you want to add extra things like a photo of your pet to the account. Or if you want to search the database if your pet does go missing. But if your pet does go missing and someone finds him then and takes him to someone to scan your details will still come up without paying anything extra, and someone will call you.

Butterer · 27/12/2019 14:33

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Scattyhattie · 27/12/2019 15:18

Its just a number when scanned and then presumably know from that which of couple of chip companies it belongs, to contact & get the details.
It was a while ago but the dogs I've had chipped with petlog & identibase the vets sent off the form with our details & both companies sent letters to confirm registration & offering an extra premium lifetime service so that can update details anytime.

threemilesupthreemilesdown · 27/12/2019 15:20

Why so much concern and research into microchip databases but none into how the puppy should have been microchipped by its breeder before sale?

The Identibase model seems fairly standard btw - first registration is free, then a fixed price ‘upgrade’ if you need to change the details in the future, but this buys you unlimited changes of details from then on. Same as Petlog (theirs is £17).

QuillBill · 27/12/2019 15:23

My dog is registered with petlog. She’s a rescue dog and I had to pay to re-register her when we got her and again when we moved.

I have to say I was surprised that there was no central register. It’s the law that we have to have them microchipped but it’s a palava to change the details. And it’s expensive.

Delbelleber · 27/12/2019 15:28

I don't remember paying anything directly to identibase . The vet always took the payment. All my pets are registered on identibase and I've moved house and updated details.

MyNameIsMrsGrumpy · 27/12/2019 15:29

I always thought it kind of misses the point having to pay twice - once to microchip and then again to register the details.

I’ve not updated my address (yet - need to do it this month) as they wanted £20 to it!! My phone number hasn’t changed so if any of my pets get lost they can still call me!

flyingchip · 27/12/2019 15:32

I've just changed address with them and it was £10. easy enough though!

Maxineputyourredshoeson · 27/12/2019 15:35

Isn’t it standard to charge when registering your chip? When we got our puppy we had the slip from our friend (who we got him from) and paid £7.50 to change his details to ours.

OrangeSwoosh · 27/12/2019 15:37

Identibase are good. They are contactable for a vet or authorised party (rescue centre etc) to get your details 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, should your pet go missing. There are several other companies that are nowhere near as good - I've spoken to ones who divert through America with their timezone differences, ones who don't release any info to the vet/rescue centre and will only contact them themselves (you can do a lot of detective work with the keeper details even if it's out of date).

That £18 one off fee gives you a 24/7/365 service for the life of your pet. A bargain really.

OrangeSwoosh · 27/12/2019 15:38

You can also change the details online yourself instantly with an online account.

Spitsandspots · 27/12/2019 15:48

I'm asking if I have to do it with the company that is on the card they gave me

Yes.
However the vets will have already registered that chip with your details. You don’t have to upgrade to the premium but you will have to pay to change details if you move.

Rainbunny · 27/12/2019 16:14

When we moved to the UK last year I registered our dog's microchip number through the Kennel Club website, I believe it is part of a national pet microchip database There was fee, I can't remember how much but I have a feeling that whichever method or company you register it with, it all goes onto the same national database.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.