My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask if I HAVE to register my dogs microchip with Identibase??

42 replies

NoWifeyWork2020 · 27/12/2019 14:02

Vet microchipped pup today.

They gave me a card with registration instructions but you either pay 18 quid now for a lifetime premium membership or a load of money if you need to swap details

Their reviews ARE SHOCKING. All 1 star.

The pup already has the chip so do it have to pay this company?

I don't get how it works.

OP posts:
KurriKurri · 27/12/2019 16:20

You pup should have been micrchipped when you got him, - it's a requirement now - then all you would have to do is change the details on the registration and note a change of ownership - which would cost you between £15 and £20 depending on the company. If you don't reregister your dog as yours within a year (I think) you can be fined £1000.

Can you explain why your dog wasn't chipped when you got him?

rickandmorts · 27/12/2019 17:32

When we got our puppy chipped about 6 months ago we got a website we had to go on and register her and our details. Didn't have to pay though! I'd query this.

rickandmorts · 27/12/2019 17:33

Can you explain why your dog wasn't chipped when you got him?

Our puppy wasn't chipped for various reasons when we got her. OP you don't have to answer this question it's not what you asked in your post Smile

Veterinari · 27/12/2019 17:37

It’s a legal requirement for pups over 8 weeks to be chipped - the breeder should have done it.
If they didn’t and if you’re quibbling over an £18 fee to ensure your dog is legally registered, I suspect you may have bigger problems than the website reviews.

You can register chips with any database. Usually the vet does this initially

Veterinari · 27/12/2019 17:39

Our puppy wasn't chipped for various reasons when we got her. OP you don't have to answer this question it's not what you asked in your post smile

No you don’t have to answer but I think it’s reasonable that people are asking why you’re buying illegally traded puppies. Whatever the ‘various’ reasons ar, it’s still illegal

bigbubbles · 27/12/2019 17:48

It is great value for money.

Driving home i found a young lab running down the road in the middle of nowhere. Caught her with the help of another driver and she helpfully jumped into my car.

Quick trip to local vet- scanned- a few calls and we had the owner. Ran her back the 8 or so miles to where I had found her- she was about 2 miles from home- and then she was back home within the hour. She had been spooked on a walk on their land and just ran.

That was pretty priceless for the owner!

rickandmorts · 27/12/2019 17:49

@Veterinari it's not what the OP asked though was it? Yes in an ideal world everyone would follow the law and get puppies chipped before they're sold but they don't so 🤷‍♀️

Lonecatwithkitten · 27/12/2019 18:45

The price you pay for the microchip includes initial registration the additional charges are if you wish to changes any details on the database.
Indentichip is as good as Petlog or Petrac and a million times better than smarttrac who have no log in for vets or rescues.
Some of indetichips poor reviews are based on ex-petid clients who when that database folded identichip took the clients over, but the data they were provided with was corrupted so this has lead to issues. Identichip were paid a paltry amount of money to solve this
Sadly there is no one national database and smaller cheaper databases are popping up all the time.
On finding a lost pet we check our in house database, then pet log and work outwards.
Regarding Posters raising why the puppy was not chipped it does serve to remind people that a puppy should not go to it's new home till it is 8 weeks old and microchipped, sadly the law is not well publicised so people can get away with selling puppies illegally. If we don't talk about it it remains a secret.

NoWifeyWork2020 · 27/12/2019 18:54

The dog wasn't microchipped because the breeders husband passed away unexpectedly when the pup was 6 weeks old. I agreed to take the puppy for its first injection and microchipping to try and ease some of her stress. All the families of the pups did this. 4 all together.

She is a well established, KC accredited breeder who we have known for 18 months.

I've paid the registration fee.

OP posts:
Veterinari · 27/12/2019 19:27

@Veterinari it's not what the OP asked though was it? Yes in an ideal world everyone would follow the law and get puppies chipped before they're sold but they don't so 🤷‍♀️

So ‘shrug’ we shouldn’t try and encourage people to be responsible because you’ve appointed yourself the thread-police and decided because you broke the law you should support others in doing the same and not allow any related questions or advice

Good luck with that Grin

rickandmorts · 27/12/2019 20:04

Blimey @Veterinari I'm the thread police?? Grin. Was OP's explanation as to how she obtained an illegal puppy and broke the law sufficient? Would you like me to explain my law breaking activities too? Or would you like to continue thinking I'm ill educated and bought from a puppy farm Smile

Veterinari · 27/12/2019 20:14

To be honest @rickandmorts I couldn’t care less - i’ve directed no specific posts to you and asked you for no information from you. You’re the one chasing me around this thread, telling what I can and can’t say and sarcastically offering to answer questions that I haven’t asked you. I have genuinely zero interest in you. To be honest i’d Be quite happy to have no interaction from you again.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages · 27/12/2019 23:35

When I adopted DDog (as an adult, from a friend) I had to pay the £18 one off fee to Identibase, and when I moved house I was able to update the details on his chip for free. You only have to pay them again if ownership of the dog changes again because you've rehomed it.

tkingston · 28/12/2019 09:16

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

housinghelp101 · 28/12/2019 09:33

My dcat was microchipped for free by a vet offering this in a cat summer scheme Grin I didn't pay anything but remember having to do something online. I've no record of a microchip number (this was 7 years ago) so how would I check on which database/company he is registered?

tkingston · 28/12/2019 10:23

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lonecatwithkitten · 28/12/2019 11:51

Most vets will happily check a chip for free - in fact it is usually a receptionist or nurse who will do it. Absolutely no need to buy your own scanner.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.