Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU not to feel Christmas cheer?

46 replies

Flyingfish2019 · 24/12/2019 06:15

Or not to feel like it is Christmas Eve at all...

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

69 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
19%
You are NOT being unreasonable
81%
Flyingfish2019 · 24/12/2019 06:25

Am I the grinch?

OP posts:
Istical · 24/12/2019 06:26

Me too. Doing the obligatory family visits tomorrow. Choosing to work as normal today and boxing day (self employed). Not feeling it at all this year.

Flyingfish2019 · 24/12/2019 06:28

When I was a kid I was shocked that there were some grown ups who admitted feeling not cheerful at Christmas lol.

OP posts:
SuperMumTum · 24/12/2019 06:30

YANBU but if you have young kids you need to try and get yourself going a bit.

BB8sAntenna · 24/12/2019 06:32

I’m really not feeling it this year. In fact most years I don’t feel “Christmassy” but this year It feels even more of an endurance and race to the end than ever.

Flyingfish2019 · 24/12/2019 06:36

@SuperTumMum I have young kids (and a dh but he is the grinch too, we had lots of Sherry yesterday after the kids were in bed... ouch... I typically do not drink)... but they are all asleep now... and don’t worry we’ll act cheerful around them.
May be I will even feel cheerful after I had my first cup of coffee - who knows.

OP posts:
GreenFieldsofFrance · 24/12/2019 06:55

Me! And I feel awful for feeling like this. Yesterday was particularly shocking. I've sneeked downstairs early this morning to get my head straight before everyone descends to try and knock a bit of sense into myself...

mistermagpie · 24/12/2019 07:02

I've realised over the last few years that I don't really like Christmas. It's just a lot of fuss over a roast dinner and some presents that you probably won't like anyway. I have three young kids so I have to play the game, but I was in the supermarket last night and there were loads of people bickering or on the phone all stressed because they had run out of profiteroles or panic buying pyjamas and crap perfume. I just wanted to run away!

I think it's ok not to like it but you do have to fake it if you have kids. We are skint and have a newborn baby and a close relative is dying, so quite frankly could do without it this year, but I'll paint on a happy face for my older children and just look forward to it all being over.

WhatshouldIdo123 · 24/12/2019 07:07

Another one here. I used to love Xmas but this year I am residing in the land of loathing. I had to get a taxi yesterday and the ever so fucking chipper radio presenters were squawking about their excitement
and "two sleeps to go" before putting Mariah Carey on. I asked the taxi driver to turn it down please.

Flyingfish2019 · 24/12/2019 07:08

@mistermagpie I am so sorry to hear

OP posts:
StartupRepair · 24/12/2019 07:10

For me Christmas is like a new mountain to climb as you are just dragging yourself to the finish line of the year. I just ran into a dear friend and we hissed at each other how we are counting the hours till it is over.

GREATAUNT1 · 24/12/2019 07:17

I’m just surprised that people still get caught up in the nonsense of it all, then moan because they have so much to do.

BouleBaker · 24/12/2019 07:29

First year that I have ever felt properly grinch like. Have had a difficult couple of years and DH is struggling with depression. We’re at my parents who are spouting more and more racist, homophobic, misogynistic, elitist shit by the day, buoyed up by the election vindicating their opinions they they’re right.

I need to paint a smile on for the kids but it’s hard this year.

SteveHarringtonsHair · 24/12/2019 07:32

I have always loved Christmas but since ex left (just before Christmas) I don’t feel the same about it as I did.

I thought it was best to keep things the same for the DC the first couple of years but I think that was a mistake so this year I’ve scaled everything right back from the food to the presents. I’m making this year more about the time we spend together and seeing how that feels instead.

If it’s shit next year I’ll try something else Grin

MidnightCircus · 24/12/2019 07:35

Eh, who says you have to be some sort of manic cheerful just because it's Christmas? Think that's a lot of the problem. I'm happy I'm not working, but aside from that, no different to usual. Don't have kids though, can see that makes a difference. Just enjoy it, don't worry about the whole Christmas spirit thing!

Flyingfish2019 · 24/12/2019 07:37

@BouleBaker My dh actually has ptsd and his family members... well let’s say some of his family members can be elitist, able-ist, mysoginist... rude... well, I guess they would call it calling a spade a spade.
His younger brother is actually very rude, makes fun of ptsd actually, makes fun of disabled people, makes fun of the elderly... and when you call him out he says he was only joking...

But that’s not the reason why I feel like the grinch today. I got used to this.

OP posts:
BB8sAntenna · 24/12/2019 07:40

I find that the absolute hysteria the media puts out is the worst part. As a family, we keep things low key, but when you have the radio stations playing Christmas song after Christmas song, supermarkets advertising the must have goods for this year it becomes all consuming, you can’t get away from it.
That’s what makes it so bloody unbearable for me.

funnylittlefloozie · 24/12/2019 07:41

My partner is working a full shift today and early shift tomorrow (which i think he volunteered for to get out of peeling spuds). This sounds terribly soppy but i love being with him, so just having him around makes me feel more Christmassy.

When i was with my exH, Christmas wasnt fun at all, and i was incredibly Grinchy. One year i didnt even bother putting the tree or any decorations up. Its very different now.

Flyingfish2019 · 24/12/2019 07:44

@Funnylittlefloozie that sounds great

OP posts:
InTheCludgie · 24/12/2019 07:46

Not really feeling it much this year, DF died suddenly in May and he should have been spending xmas day with us (he usually worked xmas day), but I have two DCs age 5 and 9 so they will keep me going no doubt!

JaceLancs · 24/12/2019 08:15

Not feeling it either
My Dad died a few weeks ago and DM has Alzheimer’s and can be hard work to be around
I don’t mind shopping, cooking etc but we are having our Xmas meal tonight as it’s only time DD DS DP and I can be together

MsChnandlerBong · 24/12/2019 08:17

I'm not feeling it either. To be honest I find it a bit depressing. All the build up and hype and it's one day and then just flat. I'm trying to be cheerful and I'm sure it will be fine but I don't feel sad when it's all over and it's back to work etc.

MsChnandlerBong · 24/12/2019 08:18

Sorry about your dad JaceLancs.

Flyingfish2019 · 24/12/2019 08:18

That’s difficult. I have a relative with Alzheimer’s too.

OP posts:
BatleyTownswomensGuild · 24/12/2019 08:21

There's so much pressure to feel Christmassy. But it doesn't always stick. Lost DM a few years back and have very little in the way of other family so our Christmases tend to be quiet - just the 3 of us and not massively different from other Sundays. Trying my best for DS's sake - huge tree up, tons of food, lots of Christmas songs etc. But it doesn't feel like the Christmasses of my childhood where we had grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc all visiting...

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.