Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Fucking noro at xmas

33 replies

LurpakIsTheOnlyButter · 22/12/2019 20:25

DD9 has complained felt unwell all day. Been out for tea with DH and other DC X3, walked through the door and she vomited in the bucket I left in her room Earlier.

I am supposed to be hosting Xmas, have family arriving tomorrow and Xmas Eve. All food ordered, plans made, house cleaned and ready to go.

What the hell do I do? No one is going to be able to rustle up new plans at the last minute. I can delay DM coming until Xmas Eve but I can't cancel everything!

Last time DH had noro I isolated him for 48hrs, maintained excellent barrier nursing (am nurse) and no one else got it.

Would you cancel xmas? Any other event and I would cancel no worries at all but I actually don't know what is for the best. DD is currently isolated in her room and under strict instructions to stay put apart from going to the loo. We have other bathrooms so this can be worked around too.

Wwyd?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

16 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
31%
You are NOT being unreasonable
69%
MistyMinge2 · 22/12/2019 20:28

As things stand I think all you can do is inform them and let them decide what they do. Keep on doing as you are by trying to keep her isolated. If another one of you goes down with it then I think you'll have to cancel. Are there any family nearby who could take the food off your hands and host?

cheninblanc · 22/12/2019 20:29

Isolate her, set how she goes. I thought noro always came on very quick so her feeling sick all day makes me think it's might not be that? Continue to keep good hygiene and I'd give guests the choice, I would certainly rather choose if I went to someone's house with a sick person that not know. Fingers crossed its just her that has it

nomorespaghetti · 22/12/2019 20:30

It's so tough, DS (15 months) has it, and he's vomited on me several times today, as stuck a vomit covered hand directly into DHs mouth, so our cards are marked. Just hoping I can keep DD away from it. MIL due to arrive Xmas Eve and no idea what to do...

In your case I'd probably isolate poorly DD, let your guests know, but otherwise plan to continue... but really I wouldn't blame you for cancelling at all.

Mooey89 · 22/12/2019 20:30

I’ve been absolutely paranoid about Noro this year.
I think you need to let your guests know and delay them until Xmas eve and review tomorrow

Mooey89 · 22/12/2019 20:31

And I’m sorry your DD is poorly!

MsTSwift · 22/12/2019 20:31

Oh bad luck. Isolate and inform visitors they have to make that call for themselves

LurpakIsTheOnlyButter · 22/12/2019 20:32

I will definitely tell them, I would be furious if someone invited me and didn't speak up.

OP posts:
PinkiOcelot · 22/12/2019 20:33

Give people the choice. Still time to shop for Christmas dinner if they choose not to come.

CoffeeCoinnesseur · 22/12/2019 20:35

Whatever you do, you need to let your guests know.

FIL and BIL both have it and we've decided we will go food shopping tomorrow and stay at home Christmas Day now. If they stop being sick tonight they'll only just be 48 hours clear by Christmas Day - it's likely SIL and their DC may get it and we'd just rather not take the chance.

MIL is being a bit sniffy about it but hey ho.

ChanandelerBong · 22/12/2019 21:54

I'm so sorry that's my worst nightmare. As pps have said, let people know and let them make their own decision. But if any more of you come down with it in the next 24 hours I'd be inclined to cancel totally as you may not have contained it as well as you hoped. Best of luck x

Doryhunky · 22/12/2019 21:56

Ds suddenly projectile vomited in the morning. Developed fever by evening. Next morning he was better. Let everyone know so they could avoid if they wanted longer quarantining

Belleende · 22/12/2019 22:22

Here too. Not sure if it is noro. DD2 had high fever but only boaked on day 2 and then only twice, then DD1 started puking, kept going all last night but fine today. Tired but no puke.

Thankfully just us for Christmas. We have open plan downstairs and only toilet downstairs, so not possible to keep people isolated. Lots of hand washing, so far me and DP are ok. Fingers crossed. It is our first vomiting bug. I have used more Dettol spray in 3 days than I would usually in a year.

LurpakIsTheOnlyButter · 22/12/2019 22:40

Handwashing with soap and water is the only thing that works with noro, Dettol won't help but tbh I do that too anyway.

Checked on DD, no more sickness so far and I woke her when I checked on her and she told me she felt fine so fingers crossed.

I've told the DSC mum as they have just gone home and I will speak to DM in the morning and go from there, see how things go

OP posts:
Gruesome2some · 22/12/2019 22:45

My DD was sick on Friday 3 times and really unwell. Woke up Saturday absolutely fine! We are also hosting Christmas so I'm praying we're all ok and it was an isolated bug!

CaptainCabinets · 22/12/2019 22:52

I had it two years ago, struck down Christmas Eve night on my first Christmas as host Sad

My DM had to take over making all the food while I was confined to my bedroom and en suite. It was the most miserable Christmas I’ve ever had Grin

shakeituntilyoumakeit · 22/12/2019 23:00

My fifteen month old had it four years ago. He vomited just after the last person left our Christmas Eve party and didn’t stop for hours. We called family we were going to on the day and said just my OH and other kid would go and I would stay. They said please still come. We said no, they begged and in the end we conceded but just for a short time because we were stupid and sleep deprived and overly concerned about upsetting other people and ruining other people christmases

I won’t go into too many graphic details but imagine trying to eat your dinner after a small child has done a norovirus shit on your clothes probably made me sicker earlier than I would have been and every single person got it over the next few days.

I wasn’t hungry anyway and sitting in a hot room trying not to be sick isn’t my favourite memory.

BUT..... If she’s not sick again from now and then no one else gets it by say 4pm Christmas Eve you might be ok?

LurpakIsTheOnlyButter · 04/01/2020 00:00

Appendicitis, major emergency surgery, still in hospital.

The moral of this story is appendicitis is very common in girls 10-20, don't be like lurpak and don't assume anything

OP posts:
ginnybag · 04/01/2020 00:05

Bloody hell *Lurpak! Hope she's okay?

canijustaskonemorething · 04/01/2020 00:06

Oh no it wasn’t norovirus after all Shock

Hope she’s ok.

Lougle · 04/01/2020 00:08

Oh dear! Sorry she's been so poorly. Appendicitis is one of those things that can seem very routine but can get very ugly. Flowers

SweetMarmalade · 04/01/2020 00:10

I’m so sorry Lurpak! I hope your DD is recovering well. Did she get gradually worse over Christmas?

zigzagbetty · 04/01/2020 00:11

Oh blimey, hope she recovers well. Poor dd Flowers

namechangenumber2 · 04/01/2020 00:13

Oh blimey Lurpak!! Hope she gets home soon!

Holdencaulfieldshomeboy · 04/01/2020 00:28

Oh wow, your poor daughter. How is she doing?

LurpakIsTheOnlyButter · 04/01/2020 01:13

She's in hospital, so am I for the last week. Bowels have packed up and gone on strike. Spent new year holding her up over a bowl while she vomited faeces.

She is not good, she didn't get worse over Xmas but she didn't get better either. It was only when I actually got down and felt her tummy that I realised it was appendix. No end in sight currently

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.