My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To not like signing for a prescription that I don't have?

44 replies

AlaskaElfForGin · 17/12/2019 11:29

I know it might just be the done thing but I have a regular prescription which I collect every few weeks. The last two or three times only part of it has been there so they get me to sign for it and give me what they've got, then say they'll order the rest in. It always seems to result in a conversation when I go in to collect it by them telling me I've picked it up as I've signed for it. It's a total pain in the arse, bit of course they won't give me any of it unless I sign for it. I really don't like signing to say I've got something when I haven't. Am I just being a twat? 😁

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

97 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
15%
You are NOT being unreasonable
85%
2020BetterBeBetter · 17/12/2019 11:31

Can’t you sign and alongside your signature say partially collected? Then tell them to check that when you return? Or else ask for them to order in all of it so you can collect in one go?

Nursing83 · 17/12/2019 11:32

Cant you just talk to the pharmacy and say the last few times I've signed and then it's been assumed I've collected the whole thing when I come back for the remaining bits is there a better scheme we can try as its obviously not working

Sirzy · 17/12/2019 11:33

Do they not give you a slip to show what’s owing?

twoshedsjackson · 17/12/2019 11:34

Don't just sign - write something on the prescription like, "only partially received; Have medication A, Medication B to follow on (date)."
The pharmacist may not like this, but if it's on there in black and white.
I have more than one item on my repeat prescription, and when I pick it up, I have to sign beside each item on the list; you could write something like "outstanding" or "to follow"

AlaskaElfForGin · 17/12/2019 11:39

They said I'm not allowed to 'deface' the prescription by writing on it and they don't give you a slip to say what's owing.

I can't wait for it all as I need the bits that the give me.

OP posts:
Pipandmum · 17/12/2019 11:39

I get mine from Boots and if there's stuff missing they put a sticker on the bag saying what's owed. Tell them you need something on paper.

HunterHearstHelmsley · 17/12/2019 11:41

I've always had an owing slip if this happens. Can you use a different pharmacy?

ElfAndSafeKey · 17/12/2019 11:58

They always give me an owing slip and I've never had to sign.
If you have another pharmacy near you, then take back the prescription and say you will try there?

twoshedsjackson · 17/12/2019 12:32

They might not want you to "deface" it, but if you've already written, what can they do? Bring out the Tippex? I think you're annoying them by showing up a flaw in their system.

Teachingornot · 17/12/2019 12:34

Go to a different pharmacy?

Usernamesareallgone · 17/12/2019 12:38

You need to move pharmacy. Mine always gives me a sticker saying what has partially been given and what is owed.

Your other alternative is to film them with your phone camera during the initial collection. Tell them its proof you're only receiving partial prescription Grin

AlaskaElfForGin · 17/12/2019 13:02

It's the dispensary in the Drs surgery that I use - maybe that makes a difference? I live in a tiny village and the next nearest one is bloody miles away bit I suppose I'll need to change. I just feel really uncomfortable about it.

OP posts:
Letsallscreamatthesistene · 17/12/2019 13:19

Id slodge a complaint tbh. It seems a bit much but if its happening ALL the time and nobodies doing anything about it, its justified.

Letsallscreamatthesistene · 17/12/2019 13:19

Lodge a complaint I mean!

LittleLongDog · 17/12/2019 13:20

Before you resort to changing just ask them to give you a note to say you’re still owed. Explain the issues you’ve had in the past.

MulticolourTinselOnTheTree · 17/12/2019 13:45

My dad and brother get slips to show what's owing, so I'd try asking for a note first, before complaining.

AlaskaElfForGin · 17/12/2019 13:49

I did ask them to jot it down but the receptionist said of have to wait for it because there was a queue of people behind me and she didn't have time right then. I felt like I was just an inconvenience and just left. (Stupidly).

OP posts:
SpoonBlender · 17/12/2019 14:00

Report it to the practice manager immediately. Pharmacies have to keep perfect records of ins and outs, and doing this sort of thing is a career limiting move for someone behind the counter... It's fraud, you're signing for a full receipt collected and they're not giving it to you.

cstaff · 17/12/2019 14:19

This happens to me regularly but they always keep a note of what they owe me and give it to me the next time I am in. I have been going to the same chemist for 20 years and they know me well and probably wouldn't want me to move as, even though my prescription is free to me, it is paid for by the government and as far as i know is quite a substantial amount.

Also when she suggests that you have to wait - just say well I will while you mark my prescription or notes etc. And just stand there - do not go to the back of the queue. It might make them improve their ways in the future also.

BlaueLagune · 17/12/2019 14:27

They said I'm not allowed to 'deface' the prescription by writing on it and they don't give you a slip to say what's owing

Says who? Can they point to the NHS (Prohibition of Prescriptions Defacement) (Partial Collection) Regulations?

Say you either do that or they have to come up with another solution. Their choice.

Ghostontoast · 17/12/2019 14:28

Definitely complain - what if it were controlled drugs and someone was holding them back to sell on the black market.

Likefootball · 17/12/2019 14:36

They should give you a slip to say that part of your prescription is outstanding. The chemists round here do.

cantfindname · 17/12/2019 14:39

Our GP's pharmacy is the only thing I would change about the whole practice. They are unbelievably inefficient; 'Patient Access' prescriptions only go through intermittently so I have resorted to hand delivering repeat requests. They still maintain not to have had them or to be 'out of stock' on various items. They also refuse to make an official note of outstanding items so when I re-visit to collect then they have no idea what I am talking about. (Interestingly it is usually a controlled drug that is missing, as mentioned by a pp)

I can't help but feel if they were to get on with their job and reduce the amount of banter with some patients, and the little huddles where they discuss hair/clothes/ nights out that the whole process might be smoother.

There is an independent pharmacy in town but it is a bit too far for me to walk plus the practice frowns on those entitled to use the in-surgery one going there.

CaptainCallisto · 17/12/2019 14:44

I spent 12 years working in pharmacy. They absolutely should not be giving you a partial script without giving you an owing slip/sticker. Usually the owing slip comes in two parts - one for you, one for them. Their part should be kept with your prescription, separately from completed scripts, so that there is a clear paper trail of what has or hasn't been collected. When you come in to collect it you hand over your half, they give you your medication, and then both owing notes are destroyed and the prescription filed. They should also be keeping notes (usually on their copy of the owing slip) about when things were ordered or are due in so that if there is an issue they've got clear info.

I've worked in four different pharmacies and this is standard practice!

AlaskaElfForGin · 17/12/2019 15:14

I like the doctors there and on the whole the receptionists are really nice and helpful, but she acted like I had two heads today for even suggesting that this was an issue. That's what made me wonder if it was just me being ridiculous.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.