My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask if Father Christmas brings main presents or just stocking?

151 replies

B0bbin · 06/12/2019 06:39

When I was little it was just the stocking from Santa and I was very grateful to my parents for the main present. I just wondered what people are doing and if Santa's bringing EVERYTHING or just one present or just stocking...
This year DS is very interested in the idea of Santa/ Father Christmas, so need to start as we mean to go on. Smile

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

40 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
20%
You are NOT being unreasonable
80%
DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn · 06/12/2019 06:40

Whatever you want to do.

He brought all the main presents in our house. There were separate tree presents from family. It worked for us.

coconuttelegraph · 06/12/2019 06:42

It's up to you, there's no rules but if you want lots of opinions there are about 1578652 previous threads on the subject.

SillyUnMurphy · 06/12/2019 06:42

Just the stocking. Presents under the tree (main presents) are all from family

Lovestonap · 06/12/2019 06:42

The stockings only for us, otherwise parents etc wouldn't be thanked for presents etc.

Lovestonap · 06/12/2019 06:43

Might be easier to garner opinions if you said what each vote thing was for

CodenameVillanelle · 06/12/2019 06:43

Only the stocking. I don't think it's fair to other families to have Santa bring big expensive gifts.

DonPablo · 06/12/2019 06:44

Stocking and the pile. I remember asking one year why my parents didn't buy us Christmas gifts! Imagine!

B0bbin · 06/12/2019 06:46

Didn't mean to put a vote thing on. Also didn't realise there were already many threads on this. Of course there are! We will obviously do what we choose, but in discussions with DH about it and we disagree, so want to check out what other people are doing if that's ok...

OP posts:
Blondebakingmumma · 06/12/2019 06:46

One present from Santa and the rest of the gifts from us and relatives

FenellaMaxwell · 06/12/2019 06:48

Stockings from Father Christmas and main presents from the givers

Littlepond · 06/12/2019 06:50

Stockings. Just little gifts. Ive never really got my head round how Santa can bring everything - don’t kids wonder why parents haven’t got them anything? Do you buy for grandparents and do grandparents buy for the kids? It always felt a bit complicated to me for Santa to bring everything. If it’s just stockings it’s easier for Santa to be consistent I think. Works for us.

Livingthedream12345 · 06/12/2019 06:51

One present from Santa that was on the letter and stocking bits. Main present from me.

SnowsInWater · 06/12/2019 06:52

Santa brought stockings and one reasonably substantial "Santa present". Main present and everything else from us/whoever gave it.

Swedetalker · 06/12/2019 06:52

He brought the stockings when we were kids, now I live in scandinavia he brings the main presents. It's so nice to see how he adapts to different cultures, clever santa.

notnowmaybelater · 06/12/2019 06:55

Stockings from father Christmas, everything else from whoever it's from, delivered and placed under the tree on the afternoon of 24th December by the Christkind (supernatural Tinkerbell-esque postman not really Jesus despite the name) and this morning Nikolaus had filled their winter boots with chocolate and a small present.

Were a bit mix and match to blend two cultures but its been working for 14 years so far Grin

AG29 · 06/12/2019 06:59

In this house the majority of presents are from us the parents. Father Christmas tends to bring a stocking or small sack and maybe one other gift.

Oysterbabe · 06/12/2019 07:03

In our house he brings all the presents that we buy. Gifts from family are from who they are from.

namechangenumber2 · 06/12/2019 07:05

We've never discussed it with our children, and everything is just labelled with the child's name ( and a from if it's from someone else) ! Presents/stockings are all put out on Christmas Eve night - nothing is under the tree in the run up. So I guess the children assume everything is from Santa....

Interestingly I've only discovered one other family ( of both DS's friends) who do it like we do. Most have presents under the tree in the run up, with Santa filling a stocking, so we seem to be in the minority! Neither boy has ever questioned why there's nothing labelled from us. DS2 is now 11 and I think this'll be the last year that he believes Sad.

CinderellasSecrets · 06/12/2019 07:06

We do stockings from Santa and one small present from the list from Santa- not too big though because Santa needs to fit all the other childrens presents on his sleigh too Xmas Grin also mummy doesn't like sharing credit Xmas Wink

HappyDinosaur · 06/12/2019 07:07

Father Christmas brings a stocking with a few bits (book, stickers, playdough, choc etc) and main present(s) . Everything else is from family, we don't say anything is from us but we also don't go crazy with number or cost of presents.This year it's a play kitchen and the pots and pans will be in it. I don't mind Father Christmas getting the glory, it's just one day and I think it makes it more magical this way. I think everyone does it so differently it's hard to compare. Some people might say stocking only from FC, but may spend a lot more on it than others. I don't think children compare as much as adults do.

Mamadothehump · 06/12/2019 07:08

He's the glorified post man in our house.

3littlemincemeatpies · 06/12/2019 07:11

Santa brings everything here...

I have never got the I like to take the appreciation/be thanked mentality it sounds a bit needy

And I also don’t think children question Santa as much as suggested on here, he’s magic which suggests there is no rhyme or reason to his logic

I don’t think there is anything more magical and exciting for kids than Santa with a big sack of toys on his back all for them

SlightlyStaleCocoPops · 06/12/2019 07:11

Santa brought us everything. My parents said they didn't buy us Christmas presents as they bought us everything else throughout the year which I suppose is fair enough...!

roundtable · 06/12/2019 07:12

Just the stockings here.

We're taking the DC out separately to buy presents for each other and the other parent. It's good for them to get into the fun of giving too.

MsTSwift · 06/12/2019 07:12

Stocking only from Father Christmas opened first thing
Main presents opened altogether after lunch
Nicely spread s day out

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.