I have posted about my MIL before on a different username and received some wonderful MN advice. To give some background, I have been with DP for 5 years and have been NC with MIL for over a year. This stemmed from a time with her staying at ours while work was being done on her house, and it was the first time she had really been fully immersed in our day to day lives as a couple. Seeing us doing nice, kind, caring things for each other really brought out the green eyed monster in her and she became more extreme in marking her territory around her son and making sure I felt incredibly uncomfortable in my own home. Examples...
- She would be incredibly jealous of me making nice dinners for DP (I absolutely love cooking and he makes it v clear that he loves the meals I cook! MIL refused to eat any food I cooked while she stayed and ate ready meals instead, despite me always offering to cook for her).
- Constantly making DP special lunches to take to work with little notes in his sandwich box, or buying snacks that are his favorites from when he was a child, all while saying she knows his preferences best because she is his mum after all
- Completely ignoring me all day, not responding when I knocked on her door, not responding when asked if she wanted a cup of tea, and not coming out of her room the entire day except to dart to the bathroom and back
- She would become visibly irritated if DP greeted me first when he came home from work. If he arrived home and gave me a hug first instead of her, she would become snappy, shrug him off and go to her room in a huff.
- When DP approached her about how she kept being nasty to me and it was making me uncomfortable in my own home, they ended up having a huge blazing row which ended when she called him the c-word and stormed off to her room. After this he asked her to move out and their relationship was very rocky for a few months afterwards.
Before she moved out she apologised to me and I thought everything would be okay following that, but when I tried to contact her afterwards she has deleted me off everything and hasn't now spoken to me for 18 months.
My DP is very supportive of me and he will stand up to her, he knows she is in the wrong and can be a very nasty person, however he has a lot of guilt/obligation towards her as FIL is not on the scene so she relies on him quite a bit. He knows she is unreasonable, but she has fragile physical and mental health and no other family so he doesn't want to push the issue too often as it causes further arguments between them.
However... MIL has recently started to mention to DP that she's realising we are serious and I'm in his life and not going anywhere, and that she will need to have a relationship with me so that she can see her future GC (which will hopefully be coming along in the next few years!)
AIBU to feel like she is only considering reconciling with me to benefit herself so she can have a relationship with my future kids? Should I do it anyway and just let the past be forgotten so to keep the peace?