Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To park your truck outside my house?! Aibu

48 replies

Youngmamaa2 · 01/12/2019 11:52

So we recently moved into a terrace property, our neighbours are lovely however, he parks his big truck outside my house even though there's space outside his house. Neither me or my partner drive so we don't really have use for it, but I still find it quite annoying 😂 aibu or is it a pretty shitty thing to do

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

154 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
49%
You are NOT being unreasonable
51%
flowery · 01/12/2019 11:53

On your drive? In which case YANBU.

Hingeandbracket · 01/12/2019 11:53

Why does it matter? What are you actually objecting to? Can't tell if YABU without more detail.

Drum2018 · 01/12/2019 12:00

It's a bit shit if he leaves the space outside his own house free. No doubt he's blocking light into your house, though on dark evenings it probably doesn't matter. If you had any visitors due with a car you could ask him to leave the space free for them. However if it's a public space then I suppose he's free to park anywhere on it.

adaline · 01/12/2019 12:00

He can park it where he wants if it's a public road.

Youngmamaa2 · 01/12/2019 12:02

Yeah it takes up all the space of the house so covers my windows and makes it difficult to get out with the Pushchair as he's on the path

OP posts:
FanSpamTastic · 01/12/2019 12:05

If he is on the path and obstructing access for wheelchairs and prams then you can report to your local PCSO and they can ticket him (subject to local byelaws!).

Youngmamaa2 · 01/12/2019 12:06

Here it is

OP posts:
Youngmamaa2 · 01/12/2019 12:07

It was meant to post a picture the car

OP posts:
TheRobinIsBobbingAlong · 01/12/2019 12:14

If he's on the path and leaving too narrow a gap to get through with your pushchair then I'd have a word and ask him to park so that you can get out and access the path (without having to go into the road to get past him). If he refuses then report him.

lanbro · 01/12/2019 12:17

Well I wouldn't say it's a big truck, I drive one and they're no wider than a normal car although obviously longer and higher...I was expecting to see a picture of a Luton van or something. For me, if I didn't have my own vehicle to park there it wouldn't be an issue

lanbro · 01/12/2019 12:18

Ask him not to park on the kerb tho if its causing an obstruction

adaline · 01/12/2019 12:18

If he's on the path then you can report him, but he's perfectly entitled to park on the road if he wants.

When you said truck I pictured a massive lorry-type thing!

PurpleHoodie · 01/12/2019 12:21

He can legally park it there, however from your picture, that is quite inconsiderate.

You could buy a - very small - car for £100 - £200 (if you have funds) and get a friend/ family member to park it outside your house in such a way as to enable you to get your pushchair out daily. Tax/insurance should be minimal.

misspiggy19 · 01/12/2019 12:22

Funny how he doesn’t want to park it outside his house.

If he is on the pavement report it to the council.

ChristaMSieland · 01/12/2019 12:23

Is it one of those streets where everyone has to put two wheels on the sidewalk to allow traffic through?

Asking nicely is your best bet, anyhow.

SouthWestmom · 01/12/2019 12:23

It's shitty, he doesn't want an ugly van outside his house so used yours.

bluebellbuttons · 01/12/2019 12:25

I was another one picturing a like a moving van or something

Just speak to him and explain it's making it difficult to get out with the buggy.
If he keeps parking there after you've talked to him then report it.
Don't be a dick and report it or just sit bitching about without letting him know it's a problem.

Winterdaysarehere · 01/12/2019 12:35

Tell him you are getting a washing machine delivered some time before Xmas and likely they will bash his truck if it is parked there...
My friends ndn parked over her path up to her window as it distracted him while watching TV if he parked it at his house!!
She just let him park there for years.
So watching TV at her house she could see a big bloody truck!!

adaline · 01/12/2019 12:38

Funny how he doesn’t want to park it outside his house.

I often don't park outside my house because it's easier to drive up the hill when you're parking on the left. If you're parked on the right hand side and a large vehicle is in front of you, you can't always see what's coming and it's dangerous, and our road is far too narrow for two vehicles to pass at the same time. People tend to park on the right if they're coming down the hill, and on the left if they're going up, just because it's safer for everyone.

Parking outside someone else's house isn't always a malicious act like it's so often seen as on here.

Jaxhog · 01/12/2019 12:38

I can see why it is annoying. If he was just on the road though - there's not much you can do. If he's obstructing the pavement then YANBU.

Youngmamaa2 · 01/12/2019 12:41

No it's not a proper road, there's no traffic going up and down it, it's like a back Street kind of thinf

OP posts:
flowery · 01/12/2019 12:43

I was assuming it was an actual big truck, and that you had no front garden so your door exited straight on to the path. Based on your picture, that’s a minor irritation only. If you can’t get your pushchair out ask him not to park on the path though.

flowery · 01/12/2019 12:45

I get that it’s not very pretty, but that really isn’t “covering your windows”.

OverByYer · 01/12/2019 12:45

YANBU, one of my neighbors used to park his works ( big transit) outside my house. It used to annoy me as it was so ugly and big

CosmoK · 01/12/2019 12:51

I totally get it. Our neighbour has taken to parking his van outside our house and he leaves it there for days on end. Legally he's entitled to do this but it is really inconsiderate as it blocks the light into our living room and means we never get to park outside our house.
We live on a street with no off road parking and everyone (apart from the new neighbours) are really considerate. We all leave spaces outside each others houses so everyone has a space .... really helpful with young kids. The system worked brilliantly until the new neighbours moved in and have decided they don't like that system.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.