Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To park your truck outside my house?! Aibu

48 replies

Youngmamaa2 · 01/12/2019 11:52

So we recently moved into a terrace property, our neighbours are lovely however, he parks his big truck outside my house even though there's space outside his house. Neither me or my partner drive so we don't really have use for it, but I still find it quite annoying 😂 aibu or is it a pretty shitty thing to do

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

154 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
49%
You are NOT being unreasonable
51%
lynzpynz · 01/12/2019 12:52

This would drive me mad blocking all the light to my house, our neighbours ex boyf used to park his rusty noisy old work truck in front of our house (our house also close to pavement but not as close as yours!) and start it up at 5am waking us and the baby up 😑. Made it worse there's always empty visitor spaces 10ft away he was just too lazy to walk any further. Mercifully new boyf doesn't have a work truck just a quieter car!

Sadly little we could do either, can't stop them parking there (although if obstructing pavement or your access you may have more luck!). Just selfish inconsiderate people who either don't bother to consider the effect what they do has on others or alternatively are aware but happy to inconvenience others but not themselves.

JemSynergy · 01/12/2019 13:25

my neighbour's relative used to park his huge scrap metal truck outside my house full of rubbish hanging off it. He'd leave it there over night. would never park it outside my neighbours house though or his own! He would block half my drive and make it really difficult for me to exit my drive. I also couldn't open my windows in summer because of the smell of all the rubbish.

Dollymixture22 · 01/12/2019 13:27

Have you spoken to him? Explain you can’t get the pram out?

He probably hasn’t even thought

Insideimsprinting · 01/12/2019 13:32

If he's parked on the road and the path is clear yabu he's got all the right in the world to park there if he's on the pavement and you can't get past all you have to do is ask him not to other than that there is nowt you can do.
I mean you could report him being on pavement but realistically is there the resources to police this? Direct experience of mine says not.

fedup21 · 01/12/2019 13:32

What is parked outside of his house?

MyNewBearTotoro · 01/12/2019 13:36

Initially I was going to say YABU but after seeing the photo and how close to your house the van is I think YANBU. Have you mentioned it to him? I would tell him the van is blocking light into your house and making it hard for you to get the pushchair out of the gate and ask if he could park outside his own house please. Unfortunately if he refuses there isn’t much you can do but if he’s a reasonable man then once you’ve asked hopefully he will be happy to move.

WarmSausageTea · 01/12/2019 13:37

Funny how he doesn’t want to park it outside his house.

Quite.

Youngmamaa2 · 02/12/2019 09:41

So it's bin day today, I moved my bins out last night whilst he was out , moved them out on to the path as you do. This morning as the bins come he's parked his truck outside my house, next to the bins and the bin men have been unable to empty my bloody bins!!!

OP posts:
fedup21 · 02/12/2019 09:43

So it's bin day today, I moved my bins out last night whilst he was out , moved them out on to the path as you do. This morning as the bins come he's parked his truck outside my house, next to the bins and the bin men have been unable to empty my bloody bins!!!

Well, that’s a good opener now, isn’t it?

Hi Truck man- my bins didn’t get emptied last night because your truck was in the way. Can you please park it outside your own house from now on?

flowery · 02/12/2019 09:51

”This morning as the bins come he's parked his truck outside my house, next to the bins and the bin men have been unable to empty my bloody bins!!!”

Your bin men don’t take bins if a vehicle is parked outside the house where the bins are?!

GOODCAT · 02/12/2019 09:51

We have a neighbour who does this with our house. He won't park outside his own house or anyone else's who is closer to him but always outside ours. I get home a lot later nothing I can do but it is mildly annoying. It is also on a three way junction so makes it hard for everyone else too turn. He also parks on the pavement.

Mlou32 · 02/12/2019 10:07

@goodcat isn't it actually illegal to park on the pavement? You can report it.

safariboot · 02/12/2019 10:20

Your bin men don’t take bins if a vehicle is parked outside the house where the bins are?!

Our bin men frequently don't take bins because they can't be arsed, it seems. /offtopic

AdobeWanKenobi · 02/12/2019 10:31

It's not really a 'truck' is it? It's a 4x4 with a back box on covering the bed.
Also, are you sure your bins weren't collected because you didn't put your handles facing out?

I'm going to assume you took that photo after the bin men had left?

To park your truck outside my house?! Aibu
Booksandwine80 · 02/12/2019 10:32

Erm yeah that’s a van Hmm

70sWitch · 02/12/2019 10:35

Even if he is parked completely legally that doesn't mean he isn't an ignorant, inconsiderate oaf.

I know it's awkward but you probably will have to speak to him.

Ozzie9523 · 02/12/2019 10:36

It's common courtesy to park something like that outside your own house if you have room!! One wonders why he isn't. It would annoy me too OP, you need to speak to him.

tillytrotter1 · 02/12/2019 10:39

Do you have friends going on a long holiday who have an old tatty vehicle that could spend 5 weeks outside their house? Cured my friend's neighbours!

Lweji · 02/12/2019 10:42

Lovely or not, it's time you have a word with him.

SouthWestmom · 02/12/2019 10:43

Where do you have to move your bins to? They were out yesterday at midday on the pavement - isn't that good enough for the bin men? Where did you move them last night?

Ours are amazing btw, even come and get the bins if I've forgotten.

73Sunglasslover · 02/12/2019 10:44

What's the white thing in the picture? Is that another truck? if so is he actually parking it outside yours as to go outside his would cause an obstruction given a parked vehicle on the other side of the road?

BustedDreams · 02/12/2019 11:02

I get you OP. It’s as if they don’t want to look at it but have no thought for your view.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

SaveKevin · 02/12/2019 11:07

73 has a good point. He’s probably on the kerb because of the van.

However that’s not your problem, it makes it a poor choice of parking spot. I think you can moan about the pavement as it’s causing you issues and shouldn’t be done unless really necessary.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.