My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think it will be fine for my mum to go to this?

48 replies

SnowyChristmasTree · 28/11/2019 17:49

Ds is in reception. I've just found out today that he's getting his first standing up in assembly award tomorrow. The school only let you know the day before.

I have Fridays off work, so usually I go to anything like this for the dc at the school, however it just so happens that this Friday I have an early appointment to have my hair coloured. I don't get it coloured very often, I can't just cancel and rebook as the hairdresser I go to gets booked up well in advance and I've also paid a deposit.

My mother was taking ds to school for me tomorrow and has kindly agreed to stay for the assembly so that ds has someone there. I'm gutted I won't be there but it's very unfortunate it's clashed and I think it will be ok.

I asked dh to ring me earlier (he's at work) as I was going to ask if his parents would like to go, he didn't get back to me.

He's now screaming down the phone at me how tragic this is and how awful and terrible it is for me to miss ds first award and generally being very dramatic about it all.

OP posts:
TheCanterburyWhales · 28/11/2019 17:51

Of course your mum can go and it was kind of you to think of inviting his parents too
Is he always such an arsehole?

greeentopmilk · 28/11/2019 17:52

Tell him to drop everything and go himself then if he's that bothered.

He's being a twat.

It's unfortunate but you have arranged for grandparents to go which will be exciting for the child.

Gatehouse77 · 28/11/2019 17:52

Wow. If he thinks it's that important then let him take time off work to go.
I know that mine wouldn't have been too bothered if they knew it was for a valid reason. And DS will have forgotten all about in 12 months time...

TheGoodEnoughWife · 28/11/2019 17:53

I assume he is going then? Or not so awful and tragic for him to miss it?
Suggest this to him ;-)

Shoxfordian · 28/11/2019 17:53

He's a knob
Is this an isolated incident?

Sirzy · 28/11/2019 17:53

Is he going to be there for the award? Otherwise surely he is just as “bad” as you? (By his reasoning!)

Someone will be there. There will be plenty of other awards over the years I am sure

ZebrasAreHorsesInPyjamas · 28/11/2019 17:53

Goodness gracious, it's fine for your mum to go! If your DH is so upset, let him take the day off work and go.

LeekMunchingSheepShagger · 28/11/2019 17:53

Well If your DH is that bothered he can go, can’t he? Given that he’s the parent too.

Goldenchildsmum · 28/11/2019 17:54

He's now screaming down the phone at me how tragic this is and how awful and terrible it is for me to miss ds first award and generally being very dramatic about it all.

Twat

Ask your mum to video it for you or if that's not allowed take some photos

OlaEliza · 28/11/2019 17:54

He's now screaming down the phone at me how tragic this is and how awful and terrible it is for me to miss ds first award and generally being very dramatic about it all

Why doesn't he go?

VanyaHargreeves · 28/11/2019 17:55

He is SCREAMING at you because you can't meet a last minute school demand

MOST working mums can't

Why is it YOUR fault?

He needs a serious dressing down

Borderterrierpuppy · 28/11/2019 17:56

When is your DH toddler award? :)

CantstandmLMs · 28/11/2019 17:57

I went in place of my best friend at her sons first standing assembly 🤣 not one family member could go for very Legit reasons so I had to step up. He was greatful a familiar face was there for him so of course it's absolutely lovely your mum will be there!

Phillipa12 · 28/11/2019 17:57

You could always ask the teacher to delay the award till next week, most are happy to do that. Otherwise im sure your dh would love to go!

thistimelastweek · 28/11/2019 17:57

Wow overreaction or what! It will just be 'star of the week's type stuff. (Spoiler alert - they all get a turn)
Pretty sure granny can handle it

pinkyredrose · 28/11/2019 17:57

Massive overreaction on his part. I take it he has anger issues?

Janaih · 28/11/2019 17:58

dh problem right here!

I'm sure your ds will be thrilled his nan will be there.

Clymene · 28/11/2019 17:58

Why isn't he going?

Heatherjayne1972 · 28/11/2019 17:59

I always used to send a grandparent if I couldn’t go
Your dc will be fine

Your husband on the other hand....

wineisnecessary · 28/11/2019 18:03

Wtf !!
Tell him he's a twat and your mum can see dc tomorrow.
Jeez I've missed dozens over the years due to work and other commitments and I'd be fuming if anyone especially my dh making me feel bad .

PlanDeRaccordement · 28/11/2019 18:03

If you were working at the time of the award, I’d agree with the other posters. But you won’t be. You will be at the hairdressers getting your hair done instead of going to the award ceremony.

It’s your choice obviously, but I do not understand how a hair appointment can possibly take priority over a child’s first ever school award in assembly. 🧐

I would not scream at you down the phone though, your DH is wrong to do that. But honestly, I would be wondering about all your priorities if beauty treatments rank above childhood accomplishment firsts?

CosmoK · 28/11/2019 18:08

Is your DH going then? Or is it just you that has to be available at the drop of a hat.

He's being completely unreasonable.

VanyaHargreeves · 28/11/2019 18:10

Even though it is hair not work, if you have limited availability a new appointment might take ages! His Granny will see him and thats fine.

Disfordarkchocolate · 28/11/2019 18:10

Bloody hell OP he's being a twat. Tell him to take the morning off.

CosmoK · 28/11/2019 18:10

plan are parents not allowed to have other commitments?
My DH took DS for his first immunisations because I had a hair appt.
In this case the child will have a friendly face there. That's all that matters

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.