Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think just bloody Google it?!

46 replies

Courtney555 · 28/11/2019 15:25

Is it me. Or is there an influx of lazy buggers who seem to be against the use of Google.

(Items changed marginally, both seen in the last hour...)

"I'm really desperate for a Paw Patrol scooter, where can I get one from?"

Well, if you type Paw Patrol scooter into Google, you'll get a list of several places selling various options. Why are you clogging up threads on here with your non-googling?

"Does anywhere sell personalised gin?"

Behold. Type personalised gin into Google. Voila.

Of course there are people asking for personal reviews or recommendations. And those who have tried looking things up, and the results have not been particularly helpful so looking for clarification. I'm not talking about those. Just the large number of quite literally type the same words into Google and the exact answer you're asking for appears.

Surely it takes less time to type a phrase into Google than to write out a sentence on a thread? Plus the results are immediate.

Why? Just why?

(Hands self Biscuit )

OP posts:
TheElfFellOffTheShelf · 28/11/2019 15:30

Some people want the conversation that goes along with it, in the same way as it would if they'd have asked someone in person.

Duckduckduck123 · 28/11/2019 15:30

I'm with you Courtney, very lazy

WalkersAreNotTheOnlyCrisps · 28/11/2019 15:39

Agree with Elf, probably for the chat involved too.

Justaboutawake · 28/11/2019 15:39

My in-laws wait all day for us to finish work then call with a question that google could’ve easily answered.
They do not want conversation as a result of the call- they get the answer and hang up.
Causes me absolute rage sometimes and I have pointed them in the direction of google but alas it has fallen on deaf ears for the past 17years.....

Courtney555 · 28/11/2019 15:42

Winds me right up. You'll be in the midst of a discussion about anything. Tea. Loose leaf.

"Have you tried so and so? I really like that"
"Ooh, no that sounds worth a try"
"The teapots from xyz are perfect size for 2 cups, I'd use two scoops of tea"
Then in comes...
Where sells loose leaf tea then?
And the next two pages become a list of essentially, Google results.
"Tesco"
"Waitrose"
"Whittards"
"Amazon"
"Sainsburys"

Just sod off to Google and stop clogging the thread Hmm

OP posts:
Pukkatea · 28/11/2019 15:48

Hit them with a 'let me google that for you' link.

BarbaraofSeville · 28/11/2019 15:48

I'm with you Courtney, very lazy

And also completely unreliable, especially for anything factual along the financial/travel/legal rights line, so totally pointless.

A thread on here asking about paying mortgages off, what airline luggage allowances are or about employment rights etc are usually 90% rubbish and the 10% correct answers drowned out and completely ignored.

And, like Courtney says, there's often no conversation at all, just a list of people's favourite places to buy tea or whatever. You get exactly the same results if you post 'where is my nearest supermarket' into google and sort by distance.

AllergicToAMop · 28/11/2019 15:50

Haha!
Wait for the annual social media floods of:
"What time does xxx Tesco closes on Christmas Eve?"
"Anywhere I can buy milk in xxx?!"
"Is Asda on xxx road open today?"

Pukkatea · 28/11/2019 15:50

I had a boss who was faffing around with a computer program she didn't know how to use, desperately trying to do something that another member of staff, who was away, usually did.

I said, do you want me to google how to do it?

'Oh no, we don't know how long that would take'

I mean I googled it and got the answer 5 minutes ago but do continue with whatever it is you are trying.

AutumnCrow · 28/11/2019 15:53

The best threads are the ones asking if X is legal and the first two answers are Yes and No.

MidnightCircus · 28/11/2019 15:59

I actually agree, but I'll be charitable and say by asking a person, the answer is more likely to be personal so more like a review. So if someone asks where to buy so-and-so, the person who answers has probably bought it, and will most likely say somewhere they had a good experience (or say if they didn't)

MoreSexPleaseImBritish · 28/11/2019 15:59

This is one of the many reasons I deleted Facebook. My sister is terrible for it.

I had a job interview recently and the hiring manager asked "If you were asked to do something on X system and you didn't know how what would you do?"
I said "google it"
She laughed "me too"

I had a second interview offer before I'd even driven home.

MidnightCircus · 28/11/2019 16:00

Oh, and Google can be a bit information overload, plus maybe not entirely relevant. Depends how good someone is at reducing a search to something short and will actually get the right answer

WorraLiberty · 28/11/2019 16:03

I think it's worse when there's a thread about a semi famous person and at least 3 or 4 people will post saying, "Who??"

It'd take exactly the same amount of time to copy and paste the name into Google.

BarbaraofSeville · 28/11/2019 16:04

The best threads are the ones asking if X is legal and the first two answers are Yes and No

Or even better if the OP gets in before the second answer and posts 'thanks' so the thread goes

Is X legal
Yes
thanks x
No

Who knows who is right and who is wrong? It's not like Mumsnet posters have been carefully selected to only post objective factual answers. We just post the same crap as anywhere else, just with more accurate SPaG.

Courtney555 · 28/11/2019 17:07

Do you think we could adopt a standard response for whenever "just fucking Google it" is required... except slightly more on the passive aggressive than, you fuckwit aggressive?....

OP posts:
HappyHammy · 28/11/2019 17:09

"Google is your friend"

ScreamingValenta · 28/11/2019 17:10

I think it's worse when there's a thread about a semi famous person and at least 3 or 4 people will post saying, "Who??"

I think 'who?' in this context is sometimes shorthand for 'I'm above all this celebrity trivia'.

MidnightCircus · 28/11/2019 17:12

courtney555 how about my name is not Alexa? won't work if your name is Alex's of course haha. Maybe then go with Siri

MidnightCircus · 28/11/2019 17:13

Alexa not Alex's. Damn phone

Heartburn888 · 28/11/2019 17:13

I agree. Very annoying and lazy.

Another one for me is those people who post pictures of a severely bad rash on their child and ask if anyone knows what it could be and if they should seek medical attention 🤦🏼‍♀️
Yes love half your kids skin is peeling away on the leg and it’s bright red so my guess would be yes you need medical attention 👊🏻 Really gets on my goat.

HappyHammy · 28/11/2019 17:16

Do I need to go to A&E or can it wait till the morning?
Don't know, can't diagnose you over the internet but better go to A&E if you're concerned
I'll leave it till the morning then
Ok, why did you bother asking us then?

AutumnCrow · 28/11/2019 17:16

Or after twenty million replies about the legalities of a last will and testament, the OP casually mentions that they all live in Quito.

< where's that? >

randomchap · 28/11/2019 17:16

I can be somewhat petty and mean when people are too lazy to google stuff. I use LMGTFY

Howlovely · 28/11/2019 17:20

I got disproportionately annoyed the other day at a post on a local Facebook page. Long story about how her grandson's ride-on tractor was stolen and does anyone know where they can get a cheap replacement. Lots of people replied with X website, only to be told, thanks but I can't shop online, I don't have an account for X, I don't know how to do it, etc. Most were suggesting to Google where she could get one but she said she couldn't! Can use Facebook but not Google apparently!
(People then suggested high street shops and was told, I can't get to town, I don't drive and have a low income, etc. She was waiting for someone to offer a freebie (which they did) then said it would only be of any use to her if she could deliver it to her house. No public thanks or anything though.)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.