Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Selfish neighbours

31 replies

Rosebel · 26/11/2019 21:45

Every single Friday night our neighbour insists on playing loud music (well maybe it's not that loud but we're semi detached). Normally I wouldn't care but I have to go to work on Saturday at 4:30 in the morning. It goes on until about 11:30. I did speak to them once nicely and it stopped for a couple of weeks but started again.
I'm tempted to be petty and be really noisy Saturday morning in the hope they realise how selfish they're being. Would you be pissed off?

OP posts:
AllergicToAMop · 26/11/2019 21:52

Well. Depends how loud, but 11:30PM is not THAT late.
You cannot possibly expect everyone around to adhere to your quite unusual schedule.

Can you sleep in a different room further away?

mrsbyers · 26/11/2019 22:03

Buy some good earplugs

Wattagoose90 · 26/11/2019 22:08

They're not really doing anything wrong. The only thing you can do is explain your circumstances and again ask very politely for them to turn it down a few notches?

Gingaaarghpussy · 26/11/2019 22:20

You'd be completely hacked off where I live. My neighbour is a pub. My bathroom is above the pub. Karaoke is THE worst thing ever invented cuz, she who does it, sings between people and has an extremely annoying wobbly voice.
Fortunately the landlord shuts at midnight.
Live bands make my bathroom vibrate. I dont need a rabbit I can just lay on my bathroom floor and get off that way.

Butchyrestingface · 26/11/2019 22:24

It’s not great but it’s not TERRIBLE. Especially if it’s only once a week, and they switch it off at 11:30.

This isn’t a hill I would die on. But at the same time, don’t be afraid to gie it laldy when you wake up at stupid o’clock on Saturday morning.

Bluntness100 · 26/11/2019 22:29

If it's not that loud and it's just on their weekend, I'd suggest you get some ear plugs too.

HairyFloppins · 26/11/2019 22:33

I wish my neighbour stopped his parties at 11.30pm. But he carries on till 5am sometimes the twat. He doesn't do it often though. I know it's annoying OP. I'm not sure what to suggest really. Is he a reasonable person to talk to?

Dontlikeoranges · 26/11/2019 22:39

I think earplugs as suggested are your answer. Music (which even you admit may not be that loud) that stops at 11.30 on the weekend isn't really anything to complain about. It's really not their problem that you have to get up at 4.30.

I'd happily swap this for my neighbour's digs that bark incessantly some nights

alwayscauseastir · 26/11/2019 22:39

My neighbours do this and although I agree 11:30 isn't late, it all depends on how that affects you personally. My neighbours have a sound bar which literally makes my walls boom. Not a problem for me as I can shut the living room out and cope with the drone of the base, but I have a 7yo who's wall backs onto theirs and it's just so inconsiderate. Even though it's a Friday and Saturday evening, my girls are in bed by 9:30 at the latest but it's impossible for my youngest to sleep. I did mention it to them but it was shrugged off. My daughter now co-sleeps with her older sister in her room on weekends so they can get off to sleep. Ironically, we have a dog who barks when they open their back door. Not for long, more as a warning (like dogs do), but omg they don't half complain about that!!

Rosebel · 26/11/2019 22:45

11:30 isn't that late but it is when they know I have to get up 5 hours later. If they did it Saturday night I wouldn't care but I guess I'm being unreasonable which is fine. Good to get outside opinions.

OP posts:
BIWI · 26/11/2019 22:47

The thing is, they are behaving within 'normal' hours, whereas you aren't. Unfortunately that puts you at a disadvantage. Definitely get yourself some ear plugs.

Skippii · 26/11/2019 22:50

Earplugs jus earplugs. Game changer 😀

theEnglishInPatient · 26/11/2019 22:54

yes that would piss me off, any music or tv or anything that the neighbours can hear IS TOO LOUD.

It doesn't matter what time of day it is, it's just awful. People keep banging on about noise until 11:30, but it's only reasonable noise that can be tolerated during the day.

11:30 is bloody too late anyway. If you have asked nicely twice, I would make a very noisy breakfast tomorrow morning.

Other posters might have anti-social neighbours and be happy to suck it up, it doesn't mean the rest of us should. If people want to be noisy, they can move in the middle of nowhere, they chose to have neighbours, they should behave accordingly.

ELM8 · 26/11/2019 22:54

I might be in the minority here but I do think 11.30 is too late to be playing music that neighbours can hear, and I don't have to get up anywhere near that early. 9pm would be my limit.

MummyDummyNow · 26/11/2019 22:54

Sorry OP I do think YABU. As another PP said, it's not their fault/problem you have to get up at 4:30am. Why should they have to accommodate your needs? Just buy some earplugs.

Onepuddingisneverenough · 26/11/2019 22:59

To be fair I think 11.30 is acceptable
I regularly (every 2 weeks) host for friends and we play music and games and generally have a good time until 12. If it is an issue and otherwise relations are good with the neighbours I’d buy earplugs and if you cannot settle after that explain you’ve even tried earplugs etc but cannot sleep and have to be up early. They’ll probably be mortified they’ve disturbed you! If you lie there you’ll be listening for any movement, thus getting more riled and less likely to sleep

TheBouquets · 26/11/2019 23:01

I thought for a minute that you might be my neighbours. They get up for work at 4 a.m. for work every Saturday. I don't play music any night of the week so I can't be your neighbour.
I don't work on a Saturday. My DC are old enough to sleep in too.
We think that anyone getting up at 4 a.m. or even before 8 a.m. at the very earliest on a Saturday morning is aware that this is not normal hours. My neighbours make so much noise that we are woken up.
Neighbours should be considerate of each others hours.

BellyButto · 26/11/2019 23:06

My neighbours complain im playing music too loud (From my phones built in speaker - not a sound bar or speakers) at 8pm whilt im cleaning the place, because 'their daughter cant sleep'. They get told to regularly shove off. They must, as best, be barely able to hear it. My other neighbours have a sound bar with their tv and i occassionally hear distant rumblings, no reasonable person would complain.

I think im with everyone else. To avoid causing an upset and as its close to being a 'reasonable' time for the majority of people, you might have to just make peace with it. And by that i mean... stop letting it annoy you. Letting it annoy you is a choice. You choose how you react to it.

maddening · 26/11/2019 23:09

Actually it should not matter what time it is, if you live with adjoining walls, ceilings or floors then you accept that you cannot play loud music. Conversely you accept that there is general living noise that will come from the party boundary. There really should be more guidelines and rules about how much noise is this should be so it is possible to establish whether yabu or not.

This should include businesses like pubs that choose to operate out of a premises that adjoines or is in close proximity to residential property.

theEnglishInPatient · 26/11/2019 23:13

Even if I get up at midday on a Saturday, it doesn't give the right to my neighbours to be ridiculously noisy, especially at 11pm! I wouldn't put up with it frankly. Why are people so rude and inconsiderate in this country.

squeekums · 26/11/2019 23:19

11.30 isnt late
buy some ear plugs
id be pissed if my neighbor thought i should live according to their odd work schedule

theEnglishInPatient · 26/11/2019 23:22

id be pissed if my neighbor thought i should live according to their odd work schedule

not their work schedule, but your neighbours shouldn't be able to hear your music full stop

and 11:30 is frankly taking the piss when you have neighbours.

allaboutthequestions · 26/11/2019 23:27

@Gingaaarghpussy 😂😂😂

BarbourellaTheCoatzilla · 26/11/2019 23:43

I can hear my elderly neighbours tv until late at night. I suppose she’s a selfish twat too English? Or I live in a semi and expect some noise, and I get over it.

Mumtotwo82 · 26/11/2019 23:49

Move to a detached or live with it. 11:30 is not that late. Yabu.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.