Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Should I complain to his employer?

33 replies

Owlsintowels · 25/11/2019 14:37

I'm in a taxi for work

The driver is talking non stop. Really won't even stop for breath.

That in and of itself is driving me mad, I wish he'd give me some peace and quiet.

He's currently going on in detail about how he thinks criminals should be punished. Murderers dropped in shark infested waters, rapists have their balls cut off with a rusty knife, thieves have their hands cut off 'like they do in South africa'.

I really don't want to listen to this bullshit, I shouldn't have to. It is ugly and offensive

I'm trapped in his car, I don't feel I can ask him to stop his vile chit chat

AIBU to phone up his taxi company and ask them to have a word and tell him that I didn't appreciate his small talk and think it is inappropriate?

OP posts:
churchandstate · 25/11/2019 14:40

He’ll be self-employed, most likely. He will pay the taxi firm for call-outs but they won’t employ him.

TheReluctantCountess · 25/11/2019 14:42

Can you fake a phone call?

MotherOfLittlePeople · 25/11/2019 14:42

Maybe try changing the subject? If it's bothering you that much complain though.

I complained about a lovely lady in a shop the other day that was f'ing and blinding at me because they'd put the wrong label offer under what I had bought, infront off my 2 young children and didn't like me answering her back.

messolini9 · 25/11/2019 14:44

I'm trapped in his car, I don't feel I can ask him to stop his vile chit chat

Sure you can.
"Driver, can we travel in silence please? I have things to think about."

mauvaisereputation · 25/11/2019 14:45

I'd just say, "I'm really sorry I need to send some emails for work now" - and busy yourself on your phone.

Hont1986 · 25/11/2019 14:46

YABU. Speak to him yourself.

WhentheRabbitsWentWild · 25/11/2019 15:17

FFS

Just ask him to stop talking .

hazell42 · 25/11/2019 15:23

You don't feel like you can say please stop talking, but you are happy to complain about him?
I've had tax rides like this.
Just say, 'Sorry, do you mind, I have a headache.'
Or, 'Actually, I don't agree with anything you've said. Shall we agree to differ?'
Or (my preferred option) 'Shut up, you racist moron.'
Complaining about him afterwards is cowardly and will probably be ignored, but might just get him sacked. Is either of those outcomes really preferable to being just a little bit assertive and asking him to put a sock in it?

TrickyD · 25/11/2019 15:23

Do not give him a tip.

ilovesooty · 25/11/2019 15:27

I don't see why you couldn't ask him to be quiet or at least find a way of making it clear you're concentrating on something.

ActualHornist · 25/11/2019 15:30

FFS. Just ask him to stop talking.

hardyloveit · 25/11/2019 15:32

Seriously? Just ask him to stop! What's the point in complaining. Just ask him to stop and then if he doesn't then you complain! Your an adult after all.

HugoSpritz · 25/11/2019 15:36

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Owlsintowels · 25/11/2019 15:38

I didn't fe l able to complain and ask him to shut up because he was talking really quite vindictively, practically spitting all over his steering wheel, it made me feel quite shaken.
The stuff he was coming out with was violent too, it intimidated me

If a member of staff in a pub was spouting racist violent crap to a colleague would you think it fair to have a word with the manager rather than confronting the person themself? My view is he's representing his company and not doing a good job, so it's their concern too

Maybe I should have been a bit braver, but it was a really uncomfortable conversation and I was in a vulnerable position as a lone woman in his car

I did ignore him for large portions of the journey but it didn't deter him

OP posts:
HowlsMovingBungalow · 25/11/2019 15:44

Report him to the local council - his taxi plate will say what area.
It completely goes against his safeguarding training to behave in this manner.

hazell42 · 25/11/2019 15:46

Well, too late now.
Another racist goes unchallenged
Well done you
Unless you recorded his rant, you can't really complain. Its just hearsay, and a company, assuming he is employed by one, cannot institute disciplinary proceedings on hearsay alone

PBo83 · 25/11/2019 15:57

Another racist goes unchallenged
Well done you

I didn't see anything in the original post that suggested he was racist.

hazell42 · 25/11/2019 16:01

@PBo83

spouting racist violent crap

It was here

Owlsintowels · 25/11/2019 16:08

@hazell42 that didn't actually refer to what this driver was saying, it was an example of what others might encounter in a different setting.
I do think it's a bit much to expect a lone woman in a car with someone ranting on about how people should be dismembered to confront the person herself. I think getting out the car quickly and safely is a priority, then complaining after the event is fair enough.

You disagree.

I can see I won't change your mind.

OP posts:
HowlsMovingBungalow · 25/11/2019 16:15

The council give out taxi licenses if he has a hackney carriage license.
Report his behaviour.

hazell42 · 25/11/2019 16:32

@Owlsintowels I think you are being a bit disingenuous

Are you saying that, in fact your taxi driver was not spouting racist violent crap?
Because your analogy to bar workers seemed to imply 'same shit, different place', if you know what I mean, and if it was neither the same shit nor the same place, you wouldn't have used that analogy.
That being said, I can entirely sympathise with the idea that a woman who felt threatened would not want to confront the man who was threatening her or behaving in a threatening way, but you only seemed to say that after you were told to tell him to stop yourself.
Mentioning that in the OP would have elicited a different response. At least from me.

BarbourellaTheCoatzilla · 25/11/2019 16:38

I think getting out the car quickly and safely is a priority, then complaining after the event is fair enough.
So complain then. You're not interested in other opinions so why bother posting?

Hont1986 · 25/11/2019 16:39

A lone woman, in a car you say?

You did well to get out of there alive.

HowlsMovingBungalow · 25/11/2019 16:45

The OP shouldn't have felt any distress on her journey, the driver sounded like he verbally aggressive although not aimed at her but still very aggressive in tone.
I wouldn't have wanted to be in closed space with such a angry dickhead and I wouldn't want anyone vulnerable in that postition.
There are lots of taxi drivers out there that need their licences taken away.

HowlsMovingBungalow · 25/11/2019 16:45

*was

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.