Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

How is beans on toast a treat?

280 replies

kit05 · 22/11/2019 14:09

Saw someone on here the other day said they were having beans on toast as a "treat".

Why is this a treat? Is it due to salt and sugar in them ?

This was staple of my student diet, not sure I see it as a treat , more so that times are hard.

Any other treats ?

OP posts:
springcomeround · 22/11/2019 15:01

It’s what I make for tea if we’ve eaten out for lunch - personally I think it’s lovely ...and it was definitely a student staple

Bouncebacker · 22/11/2019 15:01

Because it’s highly processed and laden with salt and sugar, and full of carbs which cause blood sugar to spike. I love beans on toast, but I don’t eat carbs or sugar so perhaps will treat my self once a year.

dontalltalkatonce · 22/11/2019 15:02

I wonder what pp are eating normally if Beans in toast is considered too unhealthy to eat except as a special treat

It's an MN food thread, where no one eats anything but home grown lentils with 'plenty of veg'.

DontMakeMeShushYou · 22/11/2019 15:03

Beans on toast is a treat if you want it to be.

Anything is a treat if it's something you want and don't have that often.

elpapadelapepa · 22/11/2019 15:03

When I was house sharing and penniless in London many years ago we used to make posh beans on toast by slapping loads of margarine on the toast, slicing it diagonally and making an artistic jumble of triangles, then dumping the beans on top, plus Lea and Perrins, Tabasco, pepper and grated cheddar if we had any.

Massive mug of tea and we'd all sit round saying how brilliant it was and so much better than ordinary beans on toast.

This took our minds of the fact we couldn't afford anything else and ate it three times a week.

As for everyone saying it's full of sugar and salt, half a tin of baked beans is about 10% of your daily reference intake of sugar, 20% of your salt. You're getting protein, fibre, iron, zinc and B vitamins. I always think it's an amazing value meal.

Unfortunately our kids hate them so we never eat them. If I do posh beans on toast now, then yes, it would a be a treat.

AlmostChristmas2019 · 22/11/2019 15:03

Comfort food = treat

katsucurry · 22/11/2019 15:04

@pickwicktheclockingdodo when you take that out of context it's even funnier 😂 hahaha

flouncyfanny · 22/11/2019 15:05

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrowleysBentley · 22/11/2019 15:05

I have beans on toast as sort of a treat. Nobody else in my house would eat it as a meal, but now and then when both DC are out at work I'll make myself beans on toast for dinner.

Sometimes I have scrambled egg with it or some grated cheese on top, and I always have a big mug of tea with it. It's comfort food.

ShinyGiratina · 22/11/2019 15:05

I wouldn't call it a treat, but it's good comfort food. The butter oozing through hot toast and the bean juice turning the toast from crispy to squishy. Mmmm Grin

Reasonably healthy too. One of my favourite winter lunches.

LaurieFairyCake · 22/11/2019 15:09

It's not highly processed food

It's beans off the vine cooked in tomato sauce

That's literally it Confused

Butterisbest · 22/11/2019 15:16

I sometimes buy processed foods and eat them out of curiosity...my family have a very healthy diet, everything is fresh...minimal meat
Same poster
Now and then I buy a can of hotdogs and eat about 7 of them
Some people on Mumsnet are strange

ThinkIamflyingundertheradar · 22/11/2019 15:17

I dislike beans but I can see how it could be a treat. I have a friend whose very old school DH thinks a meal should have meat, carbs and two veg. When he is away she often has beans on toast. The treat is that it’s quick and easy to prepare with minimal washing up.

When the family are away I sometimes order a Waitrose party sandwich platter. With crisps and fruit it can feed me for a couple of days. It’s not the sandwiches that are the treat (although they are delicious), it’s the complete absence of any food prep that’s the treat.

dottiedodah · 22/11/2019 15:19

Surely Beans On Toast is a lunch dish? Anyway like you say hardly a "treat" although a well balanced nutritious meal .Nice in this chilly weather anyway!

Durgasarrow · 22/11/2019 15:20

As an American, I was horrified that this was a real thing when I first moved to the UK. The cuisine has definitely improved.

AuntieMarys · 22/11/2019 15:22

My mother thought they were common. I was 19 before I had them!

MrsFoxPlus4Again · 22/11/2019 15:27

I'd suspect food issues if that was a treat

Why? Maybe this person eats super healthy and decided to switch it up with a quick snack? Maybe they didn’t want to cook lunch, dinner etc and ate something they find quick and tasty? Or maybe it’s just something they don’t make often and enjoy it. The only acceptable treat on Mumsnet is a blood spa 🤦🏻‍♀️

ChickenyChick · 22/11/2019 15:31

if it's a treat, it's a cheap and unexciting treat Grin

but then, my treat is "chips", also cheap and unexciting, but they always still feel as a treat (we were only allowed them twice a year as kids, at the beginning and end of the summer holidays...Grin)

tillytrotter1 · 22/11/2019 15:34

Must be topped with grated mozzerella though to bring into the 21st century!

ZaraW · 22/11/2019 15:37

As an American, I was horrified that this was a real thing when I first moved to the UK. The cuisine has definitely improved.

Lol it's a lot healthier than American fast food chains.

Ilikechoosingmycushions · 22/11/2019 15:43

Whoa, hold on a minute!

Beans on cheese on beans on toast is lovely

Fixed that for you.

FreeStar · 22/11/2019 15:44

Beans on toast is great! Grated cheese on top and on wholemeal toast with butter- can't beat it. It's not a treat here though, it's a staple lunch we have every so often on the weekend or school holidays. I can't get too fussed about the sugar and salt- we eat fairly healthily so it's not likely to tip us over the daily recommended amounts.

I sometimes buy processed foods and eat them out of curiosity...my family have a very healthy diet, everything is fresh...minimal meat
^this is such a weird thing to say!^

Pinkblueberry · 22/11/2019 15:48

Maybe this person eats super healthy and decided to switch it up with a quick snack?

‘Super healthy’ isn’t a thing - they’re not going to have better health or live longer because they don’t usually eat - gasp - beans on toast. It’s not unhealthy. Quite the opposite.

thecatsthecats · 22/11/2019 15:50

I have frequently told my husband that I do not expect gourmet cooking of him on his turns to cook. Turning out a plate of beans on toast once a week would be absolutely fine in my book, so long as I was entirely uninvolved with the cooking process.

(lord knows it would taste better than some of my cooked from scratch fresh ingredient experiments!)

It's mentally healthy to not treat food and it's preparation as some sort of worthy millstone around your neck. Sometimes a simple, balanced, unadventurous meal is just what you need.

MrsFoxPlus4Again · 22/11/2019 15:58

’Super healthy’ isn’t a thing - they’re not going to have better health or live longer because they don’t usually eat - gasp - beans on toast. It’s not unhealthy. Quite the opposite.

You seem confused. I never said beans on toast weren’t healthy. - gasp -

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.