My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to think the conservatives changing their twitter to impersonate a fact check service

73 replies

berringer · 20/11/2019 21:59

During last night’s debate is awful and that Gove, Clevery and the others trying to defend it are utterly rank.

OP posts:
AlexaShutUp · 21/11/2019 00:56

It's outrageous, but It seems that Boris's supporters aren't too bothered about the truth.

It's depressing to think that they will get away with this deliberate intention to mislead.

RufusthebewiIderedreindeer · 21/11/2019 07:39

And now they've banned a Daily Mirror journalist from the BJ campaign bus

Oh now that may well have been a massive mistake...doubt it will have an effect on the election

But the Mail are like a dog with a bone

RufusthebewiIderedreindeer · 21/11/2019 07:42

the cherry on the cake was Michael Gove gaslighting the Channel 4 News reporter about it

Missed that...probably just as well as I’d probably have put something through the telly

VolcanionSteamArtillery · 21/11/2019 07:52

Tbh i thought it was hilarious. I cant really get the outrage, it didnt even change the handle!!!

A "fact" checker site, any fact checker site. Just because is says its free from bias doesn't mean it is, it might work better at balancing it. The real value of fact checker sites is sourcing figures and information back to its original publication. That publication might in itself have inherent bias. But you need to be questioning what you are reading anyway, even if something headlines itself as fact checker.

KenDodd · 21/11/2019 07:55

Not just evil; dim and evil.
No, not dim, they will have modelled this behaviour.

They lie because it works, it gets them votes, it's as simple as that.

ArseDarkly · 21/11/2019 10:55

And it works because they are allowed to essentially 'get away' with it - it's become accepted. We are all going to have to pay the price of that corruption.

bellinisurge · 21/11/2019 11:02

They think people are as thick as pigshit or they don't care how badly they conduct themselves. Take your pick.

AlexaShutUp · 21/11/2019 11:08

They think people are as thick as pigshit or they don't care how badly they conduct themselves. Take your pick.

Bellini, I don't think it's an either/or choice.

Tellmetruth4 · 21/11/2019 11:22

I genuinely believe this country has always been corrupt. Most of us didn’t notice because the people involved have posh accents and wear suites. They realise many people don’t appear to care their living standards are dropping as they’ll just vote for more.

Soon it will be so blatant, if they shout ‘immigrants!’ and ‘crime!’ loud enough, people will be distracted enough to ignore the brown envelopes being passed around on live tv.

Userzzzzz · 21/11/2019 11:23

The Raab interview made my blood boil. How could be so condescending abs arrogant? They have done something wrong. They should apologise and not try to swagger it out. It makes me have even less trust in politicians that they don’t admit mistakes. It makes them seem even more out of touch.

Motoko · 21/11/2019 11:29

But many people are as thick as pig shit. That's why they keep voting for these people. They quote "Sovereign rights" yet don't even know what that means.

They don't understand that they're turkeys voting for Christmas.

PooWillyBumBum · 21/11/2019 11:30

@wijjjy It's explicitly Labour and doesn't emulate a highly regarded fact checking service. Apples and pears.

Dongdingdong · 21/11/2019 11:32

YABU. There are far bigger things to worry about right now than a changed Twitter handle.

GhostofFrankGrimes · 21/11/2019 11:52

What far bigger things should we be worrying about dong?

DGRossetti · 21/11/2019 11:55

According to the lovely Dominic Raab

Is this the same Dominic Raab that is making the Dunn family pay for challenging his decisions. Or another ?

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/harry-dunn-death-dominic-raab-foreign-secretary-legal-costs-diplomatic-immunity-anne-sacoolas-a9210931.html

Harry Dunn: Foreign secretary Dominic Raab defends decision to seek legal costs from grieving family

(contd)

JasonPollack · 21/11/2019 12:31

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/21/tory-party-tweets-link-to-fake-labour-manifesto-site

Here we ago again within a similar stunt. Really doubling down on being the party of lies and deceit!

ArseDarkly · 21/11/2019 12:45

They paid for this fakery as an ad - is that correct? So twitter are as big a bunch of arseholes as the Tories - surprise surprise

PerkingFaintly · 21/11/2019 13:11

Yep, this latest one mentioned by JasonPollack is allegedly a paid ad – on Google though, not Twitter.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/21/tory-party-tweets-link-to-fake-labour-manifesto-site
A website purporting to showcase Labour’s manifesto but which instead attacks the party’s policies has been set up by the Conservatives just days after the party faced criticism for misleading the public with a similar stunt.

The official Tory Twitter account posted a link to the website, which displays a picture of Jeremy Corbyn looking confused, using the URL “Labourmanifesto.co.uk”.

[...]

The Conservatives had apparently paid for a Google advert which meant internet browsers were directed to the website when they searched for “Labour”.

Rinoachicken · 21/11/2019 13:25

That’s actually terrifying

Actionhasmagic · 21/11/2019 13:26

Awful behaviour but unsurprising from the eton lot

Solihooley · 21/11/2019 13:33

Shockingly sneaky, but not surprising. The party may be investigated for fraud over the Farage bribery claims. I hope they get on with it ASAP.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-electoral-fraud-nigel-farage-brexit-party-police-latest-a9205311.html

Everanewbie · 21/11/2019 13:38

Poor. Very poor. And I am a Conservative voter. I'm very disappointed. To present as an independent fact checking organisation is disgraceful. I'd hoped the conservatives would take the high road but unfortunately seem to have dragged themselves to the level of the Trump type campaign.

Mind you, it was only the premise that was a lie, the content was bang on.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

DGRossetti · 21/11/2019 13:40

AIBU to think the conservatives changing their twitter to impersonate a fact check service
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.