My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to think the conservatives changing their twitter to impersonate a fact check service

73 replies

berringer · 20/11/2019 21:59

During last night’s debate is awful and that Gove, Clevery and the others trying to defend it are utterly rank.

OP posts:
shalligoagain · 20/11/2019 22:37

It was quite telling in the debate when the audience laughed when Boris was asked about telling the truth.

RufusthebewiIderedreindeer · 20/11/2019 22:37

Yanbu

And nothing is going to be done...fucking ridiculous

Twitter should kick them off...not hand out a lily livered ‘do it again and we will kick you off twitter’

PerkingFaintly · 20/11/2019 22:37

Can I check how this works (not a Twatterer).

A Twitter account (defined by a unique Twitter handle) can show one name on Monday, change to show a different name and graphics for Tuesday, and then change back to the original name on Wednesday.

On Wednesday when you go and read the account, what do you see?

Do you see Tuesday's tweets appearing with Tuesday's temporary name? Or do Tuesday's tweets now appear with Wednesday's name on each tweet, as if the Tuesday name had never been?

AutumnCrow · 20/11/2019 22:37

Yes, it was dreadful behaviour.

KenDodd · 20/11/2019 22:39

It was quite telling in the debate when the audience laughed when Boris was asked about telling the truth.

Yes, I bet he still wins though. This shames all of us, we vote for liars.

PerkingFaintly · 20/11/2019 22:40

'Cos I've gone back through the @CCHQPress Twitter account for yesterday, and there's no trace of the "factcheckUK" name.

So if it hadn't been caught live, would there now be no evidence of it?

Halleli · 20/11/2019 22:49

A Twitter account (defined by a unique Twitter handle) can show one name on Monday, change to show a different name and graphics for Tuesday, and then change back to the original name on Wednesday

Yes.

On Wednesday when you go and read the account, what do you see?

You see the same tweets, but under the new display name, no matter what the name was when they were posted.

The ‘handle’ is permanent (well you can change it, but far less easily) - that’s the @CCHQpress bit, but it’s far smaller than the changeable display name.

Halleli · 20/11/2019 22:50

So if it hadn't been caught live, would there now be no evidence of it?

No, but that was never going to happen given how many people (incl political journalists) follow the account.

Whateveryoudoordontdo · 20/11/2019 23:00

YANBU. It was just one of many lies on the night, perpetuated by Johnson. He is a bare faced liar, so is Cleverly and Javid and an endless parade of Tories. They must be gone. They will privatise the NHS.

shalligoagain · 20/11/2019 23:02

@wijjjy I don't think you've sussed that it's not that the conservatives had a fact-check page that people are outraged about, but that they changed their usual HQ handle temporarily purely for the debate in order to deliberately mislead people.

berringer · 20/11/2019 23:03

I just don’t get it.

How can anyone vote for them now. For the last few years it’s just been one horrible thing after another. Why doesn’t it matter?

OP posts:
ArseDarkly · 20/11/2019 23:05

Nicky Morgan on Peston trying to brush it all off..fgs Hmm

MrsJ28903 · 20/11/2019 23:06

YANBU

Chaotica · 20/11/2019 23:06

YANBU
It's thoroughly dishonest.

PerkingFaintly · 20/11/2019 23:07

Thanks.

So basically the Tories could have chosen to set up a new account and call it "factcheckUK" (like the Labour account mentioned, which even spells out that it is by Labour). But the joining date and lack of blue tick(?), would have been obvious to anyone.

Instead they chose to slip it in under the Tory press account, with its blue tick and 2009 joining date, knowing the evidence would disappear.

Except, as you say, for the fact that lots of people inc journalists do actually follow the account.

They're like the villains in a slapstick comedy. Not just evil; dim and evil.

ArseDarkly · 20/11/2019 23:07

Followed by 'The NHS is not for sale, it is absolutely not the case'. Why on earth would anyone believe this?

al2616 · 20/11/2019 23:12

I don't understand why twitter haven't even punished them for it! It blatantly breaks their rules. Ralf Little has been suspended from twitter after changing his name to 'Conservative Press Orifice' as a joke but the actual CCHQ have no repercussions at all!

And all just as Boris was trying to talk about the importance of the truth...

ArseDarkly · 20/11/2019 23:13

Boris Johnson's theme !

1066vegan · 20/11/2019 23:17

There's would have been nothing wrong with Conservative HQ live "fact checking" Jeremy Corbin during the debate if they had openly done it as themselves (although when I looked at the BBC fact checking most of the lies seemed to come from BJ. I think the closest JC came to a lie was underestimating the number of nurse vacancies).

What is disgusting is that they name changed to try and fool people into thinking that they were an independent fact checking organisation. It's like the doctored video they posted of Keir Starmer's interview with Piers Morgan. And now they've banned a Daily Mirror journalist from the BJ campaign bus.

There's such a flagrant disregard for the truth and for democracy. It's scary.

JasonPollack · 21/11/2019 00:15

YANBU

Here's my conspiracy hot take.

1. They knew JC would trounce boris in the debate
  2. They didn't want his debate win to dominate the news cycle the next day
  3. They did it on purpose to steer the conversation away from labour success.
Motoko · 21/11/2019 00:19

It was definitely picked up by the BBC, they mentioned it on most of the hourly news bulletins on Radio 4.

It's fucking disgusting. The trouble is, there are too many ignorant people who will vote for BJ because they want Brexit to go ahead. There was a vox pop on the radio the other day, and they spoke to a family who were originally lifelong labour voters, but they all want Brexit, so they said they'll be voting Tory.

We're fucked.

StarbucksSmarterSister · 21/11/2019 00:19

It's F-ing outrageous.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

StoneofDestiny · 21/11/2019 00:27

More Tory tricks and lies. As Johnson is an untrustworthy liar, no surprise at this tactic.

DippyAvocado · 21/11/2019 00:32

According to the lovely Dominic Raab, nobody gives a toss.

He's wrong, I do. The trouble is, lots of the voters who complain about politicians lying are the ones who go straight out and vote for BJ and Farage because they believe the lies they spew.

LaurenDemeter · 21/11/2019 00:49

The cherry on the cake was Michael Gove gaslighting the Channel 4 News reporter about it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.