Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Water at school- Hydro flasks.

61 replies

violashift · 07/09/2019 10:31

My dd has just started Secondary school. I have checked on parent pay and she has bought water with her lunch time meals.

I think this is a waste of money and of single use plastics. So have asked her to take a water bottle. She is insisting her perfectly fine water bottle that she used in primary is too heavy. Its a red metal insulated one. I have the same one.

She now would like a hydro flask. These are £30. There are cheaper copies available or is this the Naff co 54 equivalent of the Naff Naff jacket.

Has anyone got one? Are they worth it?

I think she should just use her old one.

OP posts:
HeresMe · 07/09/2019 15:02

You can get decent Wilko bottle flasks for a fiver, if she wants better she makers up difference, I can't imagine spending 30 quid on something to drink water from

Dieu · 07/09/2019 15:10

But she doesn't want a Wilko water bottle She's a teen and wants something trendy. It's perfectly understandable.

HeresMe · 07/09/2019 15:30

Why you banging your head it obviously messed up your reading ability's, I said she makes up the difference, I know she doesn't want one but sometimes you can actually say no to teens.

Mistressiggi · 07/09/2019 15:38

As a teacher the bottles that don't have completely screw off lids are better - less spilling potential and takes less time to open/get a drink/put away. I realise my opinion is worth squat to a young person. But if I wouldn't feel I could afford it for myself I wouldn't want to buy it for a 12 year old.

Purpleartichoke · 07/09/2019 15:41

sending a reusable water bottle every day is school protocol for us. Luckily for us, metal bottles are banned and the bottle must have a spill proof sport top so there has been no pressure to pay the premium for the hydro* brand. Most kids carry camelbak.

NavyBlueHue · 07/09/2019 15:44

WHSmith sell them for around £15 and the come in all fancy designs. DD is VSCO through and through and she loves the WHSmith ones. Chilly bottles are toooooo expensive!

HundredMilesAnHour · 07/09/2019 15:45

I have a Hydro Flask and whilst it keeps my coffee warm, it does leak a little in my bag (and that's when it's standing upright). I also have a Chilly bottle and that has never leaked but I don't think it keeps my water particularly cold. So neither are great.

But I'm not a tween/teenager who wants to fit in with her friends. I'm pretty sure they don't care if the bottle leaks or if it keeps drinks warm, they just want to have the 'in' brand so they want a Hydro Flask. If your DD is honest and says she wants it because it's 'trendy', I'd consider letting her get one as long as she earns it by doing chores. But if she maintains the bullshit excuse that her existing bottle is too heavy and that's why she wants a new one, she'd be waiting a very long time.

cliffdiver · 07/09/2019 15:47

I didn't know what a Hydro Flask was so I Googled.

They're under £15 on eBay.

skybluee · 07/09/2019 16:03

and I oop

ChicCroissant · 07/09/2019 16:14

Save the turtles, preferably with a scrunchie!

I've just looked up the WH Smith water bottle, it has a turtle on the front of it - must have been made with the VSCO trend in mind.

The Chilly ones don't leak? Because the sistema brand ones are the only other ones IME that don't leak.

greenplants · 07/09/2019 16:26

My ds had one and unless they are kept upright they will leak in her bag. Look at Sigg bottles which dont leak.

Toddlerteaplease · 07/09/2019 16:27

I use a platypus for work. It's brilliant.

hazeyjane · 07/09/2019 16:54

Dds Chilly's have never leaked. Ds's Sistema one does.

BarbarAnna · 07/09/2019 16:59

What is VSCO?

HundredMilesAnHour · 07/09/2019 17:04

The Chilly ones don't leak?

My Chilly has never leaked, even when it's been rolling around in my bag.

RhiWrites · 07/09/2019 17:06

Get her to take the existing water bottle until the lunch savings equal the cost of a new one.

TheVanguardSix · 07/09/2019 17:13

Look up VSCO girl

Hydro flasks
Birkenstocks
Oversized t-shirts
Hair thrown on top of the head in a floppy up-do (whatever it’s called)
Polaroid cameras
Fjallraven backpacks

In other words, another expensive trend that will come and go. Hydro flasks are THE flasks.

RobinHumphries · 07/09/2019 17:40

I have 2 one litre hydro flasks that I use every day. They have only leaked when I haven’t had the lid on properly and I like the handle on the lid. I didn’t realise I was being ‘trendy’. Chillies are still the go to bottle round where I am

Grambler · 08/09/2019 09:54

My 13 year old DD says metal flasks are "not cool anymore" and the teachers don't like them because they make a racket when they fall off desks (I got the impression this happens a lot)

donotcovertheradiator · 08/09/2019 10:19

Do they really need to be drinking water all day, including in the classroom? Is this a thing?

HundredMilesAnHour · 08/09/2019 10:31

Do they really need to be drinking water all day, including in the classroom?

I thought the same. I wonder how previous generations managed to survive dehydration at school. Wink Definitely no drinking during lessons when I was at school. How old does that make me sound?!!

Auntyfannybaws · 08/09/2019 10:35

My teen has one from Primark, does the job.

Butchyrestingface · 08/09/2019 10:44

No hydroflasks here because I think they’re ugly but an assortment of Klean Kanteens, One Green Bottle, Jerry bottles and a glass bottle.

The glass bottle is my favourite but doesn’t keep water cold and the narrow lip means ice cubes can’t be inserted. Or couldn’t, until I spotted this little beauty in TK Maxx this morning. Grin

Anyway, I digress. BlushBlushBlush. Does she have a birthday coming up soon? Or failing that, a de rigeur Hydroflask as a Christmas present?

Water at school- Hydro flasks.
Butchyrestingface · 08/09/2019 10:48

Look up VSCO girl

Hydro flasks
Birkenstocks
Oversized t-shirts
Hair thrown on top of the head in a floppy up-do
(whatever it’s called)
Polaroid cameras
Fjallraven backpacks

Oh shite, what’s the cut off age??? Shock

I jest. You couldn’t pay me to sport a kanken bag or polaroid camera. Grin

violashift · 08/09/2019 11:26

Do they really need to be drinking water all day, including in the classroom?

I thought the same. I wonder how previous generations managed to survive dehydration at school.  Definitely no drinking during lessons when I was at school. How old does that make me sound?!!

We say this too. Luckily I teach science so water is banned in the lab but the falling metal bottles. The crunching plastic and the bottle flipping are vey very annoying but yes drinking water all day is a thing in school.

I remember not even using the toilet at school as they were so horrible. Can't have been good.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.