Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Water at school- Hydro flasks.

61 replies

violashift · 07/09/2019 10:31

My dd has just started Secondary school. I have checked on parent pay and she has bought water with her lunch time meals.

I think this is a waste of money and of single use plastics. So have asked her to take a water bottle. She is insisting her perfectly fine water bottle that she used in primary is too heavy. Its a red metal insulated one. I have the same one.

She now would like a hydro flask. These are £30. There are cheaper copies available or is this the Naff co 54 equivalent of the Naff Naff jacket.

Has anyone got one? Are they worth it?

I think she should just use her old one.

OP posts:
Grambler · 07/09/2019 10:32

She could reuse one of the plastic bottles she's bought as well.

SistersOfMerci · 07/09/2019 10:38

They are a real accessory thing for teen girls at the moment. I have no idea wether they're better than cheaper ones but I understand it's a status type thing.

My DS fortunately doesn't care and is happy with his el cheapo Decathlon plastic one.

TitusAndromedom · 07/09/2019 10:39

I have a few Hydroflasks, not because they’re trendy but because I’m from Oregon, where they were originally created, and they are ubiquitous there. They are absolutely brilliant for keeping cold things cold or hot things hot. My husband makes tea in mine at 7am, and unless I remove the lid, it’s often still too hot to drink at 11am. It’s also good because it doesn’t retain flavours, so you can have tea one day and water the next without any transfer.

However, if she’s just using it to drink water at school, I doubt she needs something that is insulated. There are also plenty of other decent bottles that are a lot less money.

FudgeBrownie2019 · 07/09/2019 10:43

DS1 has a Growler Hydro Flask that he spent his pocket money on a while ago. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on one but it's his money and to be fair to him he's used it daily since having it, so it's not as terrible as I'd initially thought.

NoSquirrels · 07/09/2019 10:43

Does she get pocket money?

Tropicalsunshine · 07/09/2019 10:53

Surely this is why kids get pocket money so they can buy stuff like this? I find offering to go halves so they have to contribute focusses their minds on whether they really want something.

QuiltyBefevered · 07/09/2019 10:58

Honestly I find Hydro flasks very heavy. I use Liberty bottles - made in Seattle, GO SEAHAWKS! They last an eternity and have an interchangeable straw or lid top.

Anything that gets her to save money and plastic in the long run would be worth it. No point spending £10 on a bottle she won't use and still racking up paying for water when a £30 bottle would save you paying for any water because she won't be embarrassed to use it.

hazeyjane · 07/09/2019 11:01

When dds wanted Chilly bottles to replace their old Sistema bottles, they used their birthday money.

ElizaDee · 07/09/2019 11:02

I'd tell her to buy it with pocket money or she does jobs with agreed rates to the value and you buy it.

jcurve · 07/09/2019 11:02

Slightly cheaper is Chilly’s, they are also trendy water bottles. I have one and have since converted my husband - it is amazing at keeping water cold.

My husband had form for buying water which I hate due to the plastic waste, and he hasn’t really cut down due to the flask. He just preferred ice cold water.

jcurve · 07/09/2019 11:03

*Sorry he HAS cut down on buying water.

Widowodiw · 07/09/2019 11:06

I think if it gets her using reusable
Bottles and these are behaviours that will shape her then it’s money well spent.

tequilasunrises · 07/09/2019 11:12

Agree with Chillys, they have cheaper ones on eBay. Not sure if they are ‘real’ or not but if she wants something trendy it shouldn’t matter?

fairislecable · 07/09/2019 11:24

When my DS wanted to have the on trend items (trainers etc). I would price up what I was willing to pay usually M & S, and then he would make up the rest with his birthday/pocketmoney.

He didn’t do it often but gave him the option of being in control and also he could really evaluate the “worth” of the item.

DerbyRacer · 07/09/2019 11:36

I always buy my ds a.good quality bottle for school but I do think some of them are very heavy. It adds alot of weight to his school bag. Is the one she wants actually lighter? It is also alot or money if it wear to go missing.

DerbyRacer · 07/09/2019 11:37

Wear = were. Can't type today.

melj1213 · 07/09/2019 11:38

When my DS wanted to have the on trend items (trainers etc). I would price up what I was willing to pay usually M & S, and then he would make up the rest with his birthday/pocketmoney.

Same here - DD either gets expensive non-essential as birthday/Christmas gifts or I will give her my budget for an item and if she wants something specific that is more expensive, she makes up the difference.

That way she gets to decide if she wants to spend £20 of her own money on that £30 bottle or buy a £10 one from my given budget and have that £20 to use on something else.

completeloss · 07/09/2019 12:18

There was a post on here last week about "VSCO girls" and apparently they all have hydro flasks, which is probably the real reason she wants one and not just because hers is too heavy.

violashift · 07/09/2019 12:20

I think the school should ban the single bottles but they won't as they are an outside catering company.

OP posts:
violashift · 07/09/2019 12:21

Thanks all for the advice

OP posts:
hazeyjane · 07/09/2019 13:14

If they have a place to refill bottles at school, then the smaller size Chilly's are good - not too heavy and don't take up too much room in already crammed bag.

Littlebluebird123 · 07/09/2019 13:19

@completeloss
Was just about to post the same thing.

BarrenFieldofFucks · 07/09/2019 13:27

We have Klean kanteen ones, they've been going strong for over 5 years now so money well spent.

violashift · 07/09/2019 14:26

What is so special about the hydro flasks that make them different from a vacuum bottle?

OP posts:
Littlebluebird123 · 07/09/2019 14:37

@violashift
It's the 'in' brand. :D

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.