Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask if anyone used Gina Ford method

159 replies

newmum1611 · 26/11/2018 06:31

Posting here for traffic
Did anyone use this routine? Did it work? I have a few things I’m not finding clear answers to with it..

OP posts:
Please
or

bellinisurge · 28/11/2018 07:15

Here we go... more myths.

Please
or

Housecoatdiva · 28/11/2018 07:30

I did for a bit at the beginning. I didn't follow it to the the letter but did stick to the frequent nap suggestions. People thought we were mad putting Ds down for a nap every 2 hours but he slept each time and was a very relaxed baby. It worked for us for a while.

Please
or

Tobebythesea · 28/11/2018 08:05

I tried it and hated it. It didn’t work for my baby who turned out to have CMPA.

Please
or

LittleLionMansMummy · 28/11/2018 08:11

I did it at the beginning with my first, drove myself mad trying to force a routine on my tiny ds, ditched the book, followed my instinct (and took ds's lead) and was immediately much, much happier. Both mine fell into routine with a little help in the right direction when they were older. Small babies just need feeding and cuddling whenever they need it ime.

Please
or

BrightStarrySky · 28/11/2018 08:25

I tried with my first baby and regretted it. The book makes ot sound like it has all the solutions but babies aren’t like that. The truth is that it ka totally normal for a small baby to wake up a lot in the noght. It’s really hard but you’re better off accepting your baby is normal and responding to his or her nighttime needs. If your baby is waking it is not your fault, just part of being a newborn.

I started GF at 4 weeks which was way too early. I couldn’t keep up with her super specific timings. It made me focus on routine rather than to trust my nurturing instincts and just bond with my baby. It was harmful for me (made me feel like a failure) and thankfully I ditched it after awhile. I still feel bad about this time and wish that book had never been mentioned to me.

I was completely different with my second baby, co-slept, carried newborn as much as possible, kept routines flexible and always made eye contact with my baby, whenever she wanted, even at sleepy times. I wish I’d done that with baby 1.

Please
or

Mississippilessly · 28/11/2018 09:53

I havent read GF but we do have a loose routine - DS is 10 weeks. He needs a nap.every 90 minutes. It is regimented and does interfere with my social life but if he doesnt get it he is knackered. At the moment the sling is fail-proof, car seat often works.(more and more if i time.it right) and the pram less so tho he has napped in the bassinet at home.
I do think there is a balance. I dont care where DS naps as long as he naps. I actually dont believe that it is good for them to only nap in silence and the dark. That is v limiting.

Please
or

Mississippilessly · 28/11/2018 10:00

BrightStarrySky as a first time mum who feels completely at sea your post was really reassuring to me.
Don't feel bad. You haven't ruined your baby or your bond. We live and learn.

Please
or

Cutesbabasmummy · 28/11/2018 10:08

I did follow her routine loosely after a few weeks as I was going bonkers with no sleep and I cant sleep in the day unless I'm actually drugged! I didn't stick to it like glue but it helped me to get some sort of order to the day. Don't feel bad if you want to try it. It won't damage your bond with your child - my DS is nearly 4 and is very cuddly and loving.

Please
or

Abra1de · 28/11/2018 10:10

Yes and it helped a lot.

I liked the idea of the baby setting the routine first off.

Sometimes I wonder if I’ve read the same book as people on MN.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?