Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask if anyone used Gina Ford method

159 replies

newmum1611 · 26/11/2018 06:31

Posting here for traffic
Did anyone use this routine? Did it work? I have a few things I’m not finding clear answers to with it..

OP posts:
Please
or

KosmoKramer · 26/11/2018 20:27

I agree with gaps in the book. I have horrible memories of being stood on the stairs flicking through the book at 2am thinking 'it doesn't tell me what to do!'.

Having said that, youngest Ds is now 14 so we made it through alive. The nap patterns worked for us, we just ignored the 20 min walk round the block bit as DS was a winter baby and it was always snowing.

People scoff at the book but I can honestly say it really saved my sanity simply through the nap times.

Please
or

ChristmasFluff · 26/11/2018 20:29

I had the book, and as others have mentioned, the information on how to make night and day different was really good. but me and the ex-husband just laughed at the 'baby bootcamp' approach and we only used the routine to laugh at it. Tracey Hogg's routine was much more loosely structured (I think it was 'the contented little baby' or something like that) and that was what worked for us

Please
or

HoneyWheeler · 26/11/2018 20:29

If you are desperate - I'd recommend the LittleZSleep podcast - a great resource

We also hired Little Sleep Stars, who is a UK sleep consultant. She uses gentle methods and has been a huge support for us - literally saved me!

Please
or

Ohyesiam · 26/11/2018 20:34

Op have you seen The Baby Whisperer? It’s routine, but baby lead, so not to draconian.

Please
or

Oblomov18 · 26/11/2018 20:47

Yes I followed it. It was all the rage at the time.

The only reason I followed it because since the moment he was born ds1 set his own timetable. He was like a military clock.
He b'fed every 4 hours. On the DOT. He was like a robot. 6 o'clock, 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock.
And his sleeping was regimented aswell. Slept through really quickly.
So he fitted GF perfectly.
Easiest baby. Ever.

Don't worry. I got My comeuppance with Ds2. He screamed and screamed and screamed. All night. For months. Bought me to my knees! Grin

Please
or

Stillwishihadabs · 26/11/2018 20:47

GF does not mean leaving babies to cry. Ds became over tired a couple of times at around 6 weeks (peak "colic" age). I laid him in his cot with a clean nappy and full tummy in the dark. I set a timer for 5 minutes, both times he was asleep before it went off. The rest of the time he settled quickly and easily at bedtime. Compare that with some demand fed babies who cry for hours in the evening at a similar age. There is good scientific evidence for her methods.

Please
or

3WildOnes · 26/11/2018 20:48

Nothininmenoggin I don’t think she says you need to leave your babies to cio, I certainly never did. I’ve found most people who use a routine, such as Gina Fords, don’t need to use cio or cc as their babies sleep through early without.

Please
or

muddiecuddles · 26/11/2018 20:50

I loved GF with DD1 - as a guide ie handrail not train tracks. After 3 months of no sleep or naps the book literally saved my sanity. Have since used the baby+toddler one, the weaning one, the potty training one. And am currently using the twins one for DCs 3 and 4!! Safe to say I am a GF fanSmile

Please
or

graysor · 26/11/2018 20:54

I’m a big fan of routine in my life, and loved the idea of a newborn be set routine for my dc. However I have never achieved anything like the recommended gf routine with my babies.

What baffles me most is the idea that I could just put the baby down at the appropriate time, and they would sleep for the allotted time. Mine never ever did this. I’d try and put them down and they’d just cry. Impossible to settle in a cot. If they did eventually fall asleep after much shushing, patting, picking up putting down etc they would wake up again 15 mins later. Gf doesn’t give you any idea what to do when that happens!

My ebf babies have also not been able to go 3 hours between feeds ever. So again, despite being desperate to follow the routine it was impossible for me.

Please
or

Delatron · 26/11/2018 21:15

I used a variation of GF. I didn’t follow the ‘nap in the dark in the cot at all times’ as it would have been too restrictive. The dream feed worked well. I mixed it up with The baby whisperer lady too. But routine worked for us. DS1 slept through at 9 weeks and DS2 at 13 weeks. Agree, as they slept so well and were in a routine then we didn’t have to do CC or CIO.

Could have just been luck though or genetics. My mother claims I slept through from birth! I pretty sure she was supposed to feed me in the night....

Please
or

darceybussell · 26/11/2018 21:45

@graysor YES!! When other people's babies go to sleep do they just stay asleep until they are woken up? What if I put the baby down for the 2.5 hour lunchtime nap and they wake up after one 45 minute sleep cycle - then I'd be 1 hour and 45 minutes out for the rest of the day!

Please
or

Ragwort · 26/11/2018 22:01

One really good tip (if I remember correctly) was not to feed your baby to sleep, I never got into that, nor did I ever give a milk drink before bed as my child got older.

Please
or

laurG · 26/11/2018 22:56

@newmum 1611

I have a 4.5 month old and I’m using it. I don’t care that it is t popular it has been a life saver! It just very notionally gives you something to aim towards. Like others on here I don’t stick to it rigidly and tbh a lot of her times matched my babies natural rhythm. However what has worked wonders is bed time. This is the only part I do every day, it took a good few weeks to get Established but it’s literally given us some semblance of normality. He was in bed by 7 from 8 weeks. He sleeps till about 10.30 which just gives us our evening back. He doesn’t sleep through like Gina says he should but at lest I know I have 3 hours a night...

I’ve not mastered nap times. He just dies his own thing most of the time. Though he does take the early morning nap pretty consistently if we are at home. I think you just need to focus on getting the baby a good 3 hours of nap time a day.

Please
or

newmum1611 · 26/11/2018 23:17

My baby just doesn’t do the routine lol. I could feed him/try and get him to nap at the set time and he would just wake up when he felt like it. He’s currently feeding every hour so any tips to reduce that would be greatly appreciated!

OP posts:
Please
or

Nothininmenoggin · 26/11/2018 23:41

At day 10 he is having a growth spurt hence feeding hourly. It's completely normal.

Please
or

Stillwishihadabs · 27/11/2018 05:46

Your baby is 10 days old ? Even GF suggests just feeding him when he cries at 10 days ! How is his weight ? Nappies ?. How long does he feed for ? Does he take both breasts yet ?

Please
or

Tinderb0x · 27/11/2018 06:03

Nothin Gina babies don't cry. That is the whole point. They become happy and contented babies. What raised the cortisol levels in my babies was lack of routine,hunger,smelling,seeing,hearing and tasting my stress pre Gina.

Please
or

Nodancingshoes · 27/11/2018 16:39

Parts of the book are helpful but don't try to follow it word for word - you will drive yourself mad! Where it said 'your baby will sleep for 2 hours' MY baby used to sleep for 20 minutes....😬

Please
or

hanahsaunt · 27/11/2018 18:09

French Children Don't Throw Food is a fab read about a more routine based approch to babies (amongst other things). I read it recently (my youngest is 8 now) and the similarities to GF really chimed.

Please
or

MyOtherProfile · 27/11/2018 20:18

French Children Don't Throw Food

I'm really intrigued by that title.

Please
or

Delatron · 27/11/2018 20:52

‘French children eat anything’ is also good. For fussy eaters.

Please
or

WhateverHappenedToTheHeatwave · 28/11/2018 06:59

It didn't work for my baby and i struggled enough with breastfeeding that the 'offer him one, offer him both' was not going to happen.

How old is your baby?

I did read her weaning one and used some of the recipes though.

Please
or

WhateverHappenedToTheHeatwave · 28/11/2018 07:02

Is a previous poster right and dc is 10 days old? You cant establish a routine that early, they are still shocked from birth and the difference between inside mum and the wide world. No one reputable suggests a routine that early.

Are you bf? If so it may be clusterfeeding to build up your supply. If not it could bd a variety of things and there are many different things to try before routines.

Please
or

WhateverHappenedToTheHeatwave · 28/11/2018 07:06

Does gf suggest from birth? That seems so very early to me. I didnt think anyone would. I thought she suggested from older.

Please
or

impossiblecat · 28/11/2018 07:08

You can't reduce feeds at ten days old. They feed because they need it.

If you're breastfeeding, I'd suggest safe Co sleeping, a sling and lots of skin to skin to build up your supply.

Does GF really suggest not picking up your baby when they cry??? Thought that kind've thinking went out with roll on girdles and nylon bedding!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?