Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

CIN auction

20 replies

ChicagoLil · 07/11/2018 08:47

I know there was a thread about this last year so I am BU but the Chris Evans R2 CIN experience auctions get my goat.

£34k to go and sit in a fancy car and drink champagne with an A lister? Fine, if you have this sort of money to waste and fine if you want to support a charity.

But don't rub it in my face. I don't want to hear that you can piss away someone's annual salary on a lovely day out.

OP posts:
fatbottomgirl67 · 07/11/2018 08:51

I know it's hard to hear people have that much money just sitting around but atleast it goes to charity. They are also doing a Springsteen raffle for £10. Affordable for most of us

ChicagoLil · 07/11/2018 09:49

I agree that the £10 raffle is a brilliant and inclusive concept. But the self-congratulatory smugness of the auctions is bile. This is the BBC. If it was a private auction I wouldn't feel so strongly about it.

OP posts:
BusterTheBulldog · 07/11/2018 09:53

Missing the point totally here, but what is Springsteen raffle? (I did google but no info!)

I quite like the whole thing really, not money I could ever afford to spend, but I like hearing that some people are able to.

MaxPepsi · 07/11/2018 09:53

I LOVE the CIN auction every year.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest that I can't afford any of it.

My face doesn't feel rubbed at all.

FittonTower · 07/11/2018 09:55

Many (but not all) people who give away large sums do so only because people will know how much they've given, how super-generous they are and also how super-super wealthy they are. They wouldn't get such large sums if it was a secret.

HeresMeh · 07/11/2018 10:01

It's not about you though and how you feel!

It's about raising as much money as possible for charity and they're doing that by offering high priced items to those that can afford it - again, for the sole purpose of raising as much money as possible for children in need.

How can that be considered a waste?

I think the amount the raise and the way in which they do it is a PHENOMENAL achievement.

SingingTunelessly · 07/11/2018 10:58

Buster, the Springsteen prize is 2 Upper class flights, hotel and 2 tickets to see Bruce on Broadway. It’s very popular unsurprisingly. £10 a text limited to 3 texts a day per person. The whole £10 is donated to CIN.

Bubblysqueak · 07/11/2018 11:10

I enjoy listening to it and like the fact they raffle of prizes too.

BusterTheBulldog · 07/11/2018 12:25

Thanks singing, I love the boss so will be straight into that! You never know eh?!

Isitmybathtimeyet · 12/11/2018 17:18

He said this morning that only stony hearted people objected to the auctions.

I find this a difficult one. At a time of real financial problems for many people, the sort of sums bandied about for enormous privilege really smart. I do see that money is raised for charity but would an equal amount not be raised by doing all of them like the Springsteen thing? So normal people who could never dream of accessing those sorts of experiences have a chance of it rather than more rich people doing rich people things with a charitable glow. If 6,000 people enter for each thing at £10 each, that's £60,000, which equals a high bid.

ChicagoLil · 12/11/2018 19:04

I am going to pick Chris up on this.
Only stony hearted people who don't give a flip about more month than money, or rent arrears et al, could piss away £35,000 to drive in a vintage car rally with an ex F1 driver.

OP posts:
ChicagoLil · 12/11/2018 19:05

If everything was up for auction then a lot more than 6,000 people would be bidding £10 for these fabulous prizes.

It says to me that the prize donors want to filter out the winners Hmm

OP posts:
AngelSparks · 12/11/2018 19:12

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2506934-Children-in-need-auctions-on-radio-2

3 years ago, i posted exactly the same thing,
This is so annoying

Chris Evans trying to get people to bid for experiences, that most of us don't have a chance of having the money for

One item went for £280,000!!!!
That would buy my house! !!

still not changed my mind!!

bettybyebye · 12/11/2018 19:16

I agree with you OP, I hate Chris Evans anyway, but I find him even more annoying during these auctions. I couldn’t help thinking this morning that most of the high bidders are also probably able to get tax relief on charitable giving when they do their accounts 🤔

SheilaHammond · 12/11/2018 19:26

Totally agree that the whole thing is gross, showing-off, look-at-me charity giving. Shut up and give a fiver a month like everyone else does to things they support, if they can afford it.

ChicagoLil · 13/11/2018 09:26

"More auctions tomorrow"

Great. Lots more rich people having a lovely time and excluding the majority of us who probably would cough up £100 on raffle tickets if the prizes were more inclusive. It will be interesting to see what Zoe does.

Was it really three years ago when you first wrote your thread? Things haven't changed, have they?

OP posts:
ChicagoLil · 13/11/2018 09:26

@AngelSparks forgot to tag you!

OP posts:
MardyArabella · 13/11/2018 10:29

These auctions have been going on since before Chris Evans took over the radio show.

I hate Chris Evans but it’s hardly his fault.

AngelSparks · 13/11/2018 17:12

@ChicagoLil yup -still cant bear to listen -

These auctions have been going on since before Chris Evans took over the radio show.
I hate Chris Evans but it’s hardly his fault.

erm, yes, he could do something different

Isitmybathtimeyet · 15/11/2018 07:17

If everything was up for auction then a lot more than 6,000 people would be bidding £10 for these fabulous prizes.

I agree but I was offering a conservative estimate!

I know Chris Evans didn't invent the auction (he made that point too in his stony hearted piece) but he makes so many of them about him that it feels a lot more personal to him if that makes sense? It's very much, hey, rich people, come and be in my cool gang.

This morning was meet Dolly Parton and fly out to Dollywood. I'd love to hear them call someone who could never dream of doing those things and tell them they'd won.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.