Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Sending your kids to school

60 replies

Fatasfook · 06/11/2018 12:23

If they have a bug. Why the fuck do people do this. Surely if your kid is obviously ill with a bug you keep them at home?

OP posts:
OnlyFoolsnMothers · 06/11/2018 12:25

clearly the answer is going to be childcare. I seriously doubt people want to send their kid into school sick.

Fatasfook · 06/11/2018 12:27

Not all the time, I know plenty of stay at home parents that do this

OP posts:
SLL · 06/11/2018 12:29

It kind of depends on the bug really, what were you referring to? If it's a common or garden cold then possibly not, some kids would never be at school over the winter months. If it's something like Measles, then yes, they should keep the child off.

Also depends on available childcare. Not everyone has a stay at home parent or can have a day off work due to a sick child and may not have alternate childcare, especially at short notice.

It's a difficult one...

WhereToLiveNow · 06/11/2018 12:29

This reply has been withdrawn

Privacy concerns

Fatasfook · 06/11/2018 12:30

And it’s only spreading the problem by spreading the bug to kids of other parents who also struggle with childcare. Selfish as fook

OP posts:
OnlyFoolsnMothers · 06/11/2018 12:31

I think Id rather my child attend school with kids who have a cold than kids who have nits...but kids dont stay off school for nits.

WhereToLiveNow · 06/11/2018 12:33

This reply has been withdrawn

Privacy concerns

LeticiaDejeuner · 06/11/2018 12:35

I suppose definitions of sick vary. I have relatives who would keep their child home for a mild cold. I wouldn't. But obviously I would if there was a fever/cough/d & v etc etc. I go by behaviour and temperature as my main deciding factors (unless it's blatantly still contagious, eg recovering from CP/headlice). I have noticed kids coming into my kids' nursery school with hacking coughs on a few occassions and felt sad for them, like OnlyFoolsnMothers says, it's all about childcare and sadly some people are in a very difficult position.

ifoundthebread · 06/11/2018 12:36

My daughters had a cold since a week into starting nursery. If I kept her off she'd of attended 4 days so far. Somethings go round and round, although I am sure to keep her off 48 hours for s&d

SoyDora · 06/11/2018 12:42

As above, it depends on the bug. Generally you can’t avoid colds and I wouldn’t keep mine at home for a minor cold. D&V, obviously I wouldn’t send them in.
Is ‘fook’ a word? Never seen it before!

Amanduh · 06/11/2018 12:43

Agreed. I think some people just don’t think? My friend (on mat leave) send ds2 to nursery last week with a throat infection. Bizarre!

thaegumathteth · 06/11/2018 12:46

My daughters at school now with a cold. U wouldn’t send with v&d or if they had a fever / were unwell with it.

yikesanotherbooboo · 06/11/2018 12:56

All working parents understand the temptation to send a child in if hasn't been sick for a day of starting a cold and borderline temperature but most of us suppress the urge and sort out the arrangements. It is wildly unreasonable to send child with D& V or a temperature or obviously feeling unwell to school. It's Not fair on child, teacher or other pupils.
Runny nose, > 48 hours after last diarrhoea, hay fever , head lice etc of course can attend.

MissClareRemembers · 06/11/2018 12:59

Depends on the illness. A common cold, off they go. Sickness/diarrhoea, they stay at home for the requisite 48 hours.

DC’s school asks that if you’ve used Calpol etc to control a high temp within X number of hours then you should keep them off. This was because a child who had had a fever overnight was sent into school after a dose of Calpol. His temp spiked and he suffered a febrile convulsion.

InertPotato · 06/11/2018 13:01

I once chaperoned a field trip to a Celtic thingy about a zillion miles away, we had a poor kid retching the entire way. He said he'd been sick before school.

Utterly shite parenting.

YourMilkshakeIsBetterThanMine · 06/11/2018 13:06

One parent sent their child in sick last year so she wouldn't miss the Christmas party. Friend's son caught it then passed it to the rest of the family who had it Christmas Day. No proof it was caused by that one child of course but the mum had said on the way home "she was off yesterday and sick last night but ok this morning and I felt mean making her miss the party...".

delilahbucket · 06/11/2018 13:09

Totally depends on the illness and how I'll the child actually is. Temperature or d&v is an instant off. Everything else is down to whether my child is actually ill. If he's asking to not going in he's pretty much ill because he loves going to school. Although there was an occasion a few weeks ago when he said he didn't feel well and didn't want to go. He was physically fine, just tired. I sent him anyway and within half an hour he'd perked up.

eddiemairswife · 06/11/2018 13:14

I only kept mine off if they had a raised temperature, not just a head cold. I wouldn't have dosed them up with Calpol (or the 1960s equivalent) and sent them in.
Having said that, I went on a school trip with my daughter (YR). She'd had a bit of a sniffle for a couple of days.....by the time we returned home she had developed a rash....measles!

Loobrushesarefuckingrank · 06/11/2018 13:17

Fucking terrible parenting, that's what it is.

Inconsiderate and selfish fuckers and I report them. Every single time.

They don't give a flying fuck about their own child never mind anyone else.

OnlyFoolsnMothers · 06/11/2018 13:18

One parent sent their child in sick last year so she wouldn't miss the Christmas party. ahh memories of the halloween threads.

bobstersmum · 06/11/2018 13:18

Mine go in with a cold. But d&v they stay off, ds is currently off as he had the runs yesterday again after dodgy tummy at weekend, he's not unwell though and he's driving my round the bend. Our school says off for 24 hrs after upset stomach. Which I don't think is long enough. I agree with you op.

Sirzy · 06/11/2018 13:18

It depends on the bug.

I think some parents are at both extremes some send the child in when obviously not well enough others keep them off for a week when they sneeze! Neither is a healthy attitude really.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Loobrushesarefuckingrank · 06/11/2018 13:19

Yourmilkshake

Unfortunately, situations like this are ten a Penny.

Poor darling little snowflake Hugo doesn't want to miss the party/ trip/ school photo etc, so his inconsiderate arsehole of a parent sends him in.

Utterly disgusting. Makes me furious.

halcyondays · 06/11/2018 13:20

I assume we're talking about stomach bugs here so yanbu. And it's not always about childcare and working parents, although that is no excuse for sending them in ill with things like D and V. But there are also plenty of parents who take contagious children out to toddler groups etc.

Loobrushesarefuckingrank · 06/11/2018 13:22

BobsterMum

NHS guidance says minimum of 48 hours.

Your school are world there. How twatish ( but then I strongly suspect it's the attendance that's the issue)

Terrible isn't it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.