My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to say its about time labour elected its first female leader.

58 replies

confussssed · 05/11/2018 01:19

they never have elected a female leader dont reply Harriet harman as she was intrem and not elected.
aibu to think its so sexist of the labour party to not elect a female leader since the conservatives elected there first female leader on 11th of February 1975 in the 33 years and 15,973 days since then labour have never had an elected female leader. they have had 8 different male leaders and 10 different elections.
also it cant be because the general population is sexist as we have had 4 of the last 10 general elections won by females. please can any labour supporters explain why they never have had a female leader and why it is not obvious sexism.

OP posts:
Holdingonbarely · 05/11/2018 01:21

To bloody right

Jamiefraserskilt · 05/11/2018 01:47

Please make it a Jewish female leader.
Then sit back and wait for radical changes in attitude.
Then I woke up.

Neshoma · 05/11/2018 01:55

Lady Nugee will be delighted.

UAEMum · 05/11/2018 01:57

They should and, in my opinion, it should be Yvette Cooper. She was my MP when I lived in the UK. Met her a couple of times. Really good at her job. Plus, imagine Ed Balls going into Number 10 as the trailing spouse!

Seniorschoolmum · 05/11/2018 02:09

....and in the real world! Grin

shearwater · 05/11/2018 02:16

Yes, but not just a woman for the sake of having a female leader. And not Cooper, FFS.

moredoll · 05/11/2018 02:48

Definitely Yvette Cooper.

citiesofbismuth · 05/11/2018 04:35

I expect they will probably choose someone who identifies as a woman.

TrashyTerf · 05/11/2018 05:15

Bromentum will never let this happen. Politician women are only good for distributing leaflets and making tea, dontcha know?

PersonaNonGarter · 05/11/2018 05:26

Why hasn’t this happened? Well, could it be because the Labour movement is pretty sexist.

Witness Labour reaction over Redcar vs Labour reacting over Debenhams. One is ‘man work’ and the government must step in, the other is ‘women work’ and .... silence. Women work in retail but men work in manufacturing - why do you think Labour are always going to care more about manufacturing?

FunkyHeroCat · 05/11/2018 07:12

I agree, I'm feeling more and more that Labour doesn't really represent me (not that the Tories are any better).

I voted for Yvette Cooper at the leadership elections, I thought (and still think) she's much more of a leader than JC.

MaxTeyon · 05/11/2018 08:12

No! JC is doing such a fantastic job of making them unelectable, long may it continue!

sackrifice · 05/11/2018 08:15

I have to say as a historic long time labour supporter - they need to be kept well away from any power for the significant future.

Bunch of sexist, racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic, virtue signalling bawbags.

Labour. For the Men.

FireworksAndSparklers · 05/11/2018 08:21

Harman says there hasn't been an elected woman labour leader or prime minister (unlike the Tories, who are, with two women prime ministers, way ahead of the game!) because Tory women MPs tend to behave like men, whereas Labour women MPs are trying to change the culture entirely and refuse to not behave like women. Labour is no more or less sexist than the Tory party, imo. Men, in general, will simply only respect women who are more like men.

mycatthinksshesatiger · 05/11/2018 08:21

A non anti-Semitic leader would be fabulous for starters. Added to that a leader with enough respect for fellow party members and the electorate to listen to and consider viewpoints that dare to differ from their own. And someone who can admit when they get things wrong. If this person so happens to be female then that’s all good, but I would take the above qualities over gender.

ShatnersWig · 05/11/2018 08:25

No, they should appoint the best person for the job, regardless of their gender. Labour have a tendency to vote for the wrong leader a significant amount of time - they picked the wrong Miliband, for instance, and let's not get started on the likes of Foot or Kinnock. I'm afraid I'm another that doesn't think much of Yvette Cooper and I do not see another woman in the Labour party who would make a good leader.

That's not the say the Tory female leader is up to much, either.

NailsNeedDoing · 05/11/2018 08:29

It would be sexist if they chose a woman just because she's a woman.

LakieLady · 05/11/2018 08:36

No, they should appoint the best person for the job, regardless of their gender.

Absolutely this.

What matters is policies, and if a party's manifesto includes policies that will benefit women, that's good enough for me. Women earn less and are far more likely to be single parents, so policies that benefit the low paid and parents will be beneficial for women as a whole.

Judge people by what they have between their ears, not their legs!

Poloshot · 05/11/2018 08:43

Diane Abbott for PM would be fantastic

Poloshot · 05/11/2018 08:43

Sorry I did of course mean Labour leader not Pm lol

honeysucklejasmine · 05/11/2018 08:44

Judge people by what they have between their ears, not their legs!

Whilst I feel like I agree broadly with this, the whole point of positive discrimination is to address societal inequalities which make some people, in this case women, less likely to be afforded the opportunity to gain the knowledge and skills required.

I'm not saying anything woman should be given the opportunity in spite of suitability, but if you have got a woman who is suitable, it should be recognised what she has overcome to get that far in the first place, and should be seen as an extra quality compared to her male contemporaries. See also, everyone not a white, middle or upper class male.

GerdaLovesLiIi · 05/11/2018 08:44

No, they should appoint the best person for the job, regardless of their gender.

Amazing, isn't it, that the Torys have managed to have two female PMs and not once has the best person for the Labour leadership been a woman?

Not once.
That tells me a lot.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

honeysucklejasmine · 05/11/2018 08:45

*any thing woman

puzzledlady · 05/11/2018 08:45

Diane Abbott...... Grin I don’t know which is worse - Corbyn or the thought that Abbott should be PM.

Just choose someone who you think is the best fit for the job. Why does it have to be about gender!?

puzzledlady · 05/11/2018 08:46

^^ I meant to say labour leader If Abbott was PM that would be insane.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.