Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

14 year old wants to go to the cinema completely on her own

57 replies

curious2 · 23/10/2018 13:35

My 14 year old dd wants to go to the cinema completely by herself - obviously with friends and no adults it’s been fine for a while now, but she wants to go just by herself.

I am not sure about this - what do you think?

I am just worried that being on her own and a young girl, she could be targeted by any weirdos potentially present. I know there probably won’t be any weirdos present, but I feel that she might be vulnerable without the presence of vocal and supportive friends.

Really not sure on this - what do you think?

OP posts:
SwedishEdith · 23/10/2018 13:38

Tell her to sit near a family/group and/or in an aisle seat if you're worried. Do many people really go to the cinema to target lone girls?

AnnieAnoniMouse · 23/10/2018 13:38

I wouldn’t have given it a second thought. It’s great she’s confident enough to go on her own.

I’d assume by 14 I would have instilled in her what to do in difficult situations. She’s perfectly safe in a cinema as long as she’s confident enough to ‘make a scene’ or leave and tell an employee of the cinema if there’s a problem.

Bet she’s actually meeting a boy inside though 🤣

selfidentifyinggiraffe · 23/10/2018 13:40

I think it's fine. She's up to worse when she's not telling you

Solenti · 23/10/2018 13:40

This was me as a teen! I had loads of mates but much preferred my own company and would have happily gone to the cinema alone and relished the peace. I think let her.

NannyR · 23/10/2018 13:41

I can't see a problem with her going alone. The likelihood of any "weirdos" being there will be very slim and there will be other people there in close proximity. It would be good for her independence and self esteem to go somewhere like the cinema alone.

treaclesoda · 23/10/2018 13:43

Our local cinemas are so dark inside that you'd be hard pushed to notice someone on their own because you can hardly see anyone.

I'd say it's ok as long as she is confident enough to get up and move, or walk out and ask for help, if someone were to make her uncomfortable.

Frogscotch7 · 23/10/2018 13:44

If I told my mum I was going to the cinema by myself at 14, I was 100% doing something completely different, and almost certainly not by myself. But maybe your 14 year old is more honest and sensible than I was. If she’s genuinely just going to the pictures I don’t see the problem.

Thelastredwinegum · 23/10/2018 13:45

Annie Bet she’s actually meeting a boy inside though 🤣

That's what I thought Grin

tiredgirly · 23/10/2018 13:49

You are askin if a 14 year old can to to the cinema alone?

FOURTEEN!!!

Sallygoroundthemoon · 23/10/2018 13:51

She's 14 not 4. She'll be fine :).

berniee · 23/10/2018 13:52

I used to go to town shopping on my own when I was 13/14 if she wants to go on her own then let her x

kaytee87 · 23/10/2018 13:53

I also bet she's meeting a boy (or girl) 

She could have thought of a better lie

Fashionista101 · 23/10/2018 13:54

Deffs going for a back row smooch

hennaoj · 23/10/2018 13:55

CEA card's (to get a carer in for free) are for age 8 and and above only as Cinemas seem to think non disabled 8 year olds are fine going alone.

Flashingbeacon · 23/10/2018 13:56

My first thought was she was meeting someone there for a date. But even if she is going alone as long as she knows when to seek help (ie shouting if someone won’t leave her alone) I would say totally fine.

AriadnePersephoneCloud · 23/10/2018 13:56

My son has been going to the cinema alone since 11/12 and has been fine. I also often go on my own.

MyDcAreMarvel · 23/10/2018 13:57

You are way over thinking this, my dd with asd goes to the cinema alone she is 13.

cricketmum84 · 23/10/2018 13:59

She is definitely going on a date 😂

ErickBroch · 23/10/2018 13:59

I would bet she is meeting someone - which isn't a bad thing! If you are still worried, just drop her off near the start time and pick her up when it finishes :)

ShatnersWig · 23/10/2018 13:59

I was 12 the first time I was allowed to go to the cinema on my own. And that included a 40-minute rural bus ride there and the same back again.

AjasLipstick · 23/10/2018 14:00

I'd worry too OP. I worry when my 14 year old goes for a walk on her own.

I think you should encourage her to go though. Girls shouldn't live in fear...nor should boys. Obviously remind her to stick near a family if possible but don't make her fearful.

Notquiteagandt · 23/10/2018 14:01

At 14 I was nipping into town alone to grab things I needed. Usually a last minute outfit for a party or something.

I went the gym regularily alone as well as training for sports I did and running etc.

Got cross country trains to go visit friends or family in other areas.

I honnestly never thought twice about it nor did my parents. As it wasnt an unusual thing to do. My parents where known as the strict ones too.

I honnstly don't see the issue at all. Unless theres going to be a massive drip feed to follow.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Glumglowworm · 23/10/2018 14:01

YABU

She’ll be fine! Make sure she knows that in the unlikely event that she does get hassled, she should go and find cinema staff (which is surely common sense anyway)

NorthernRunner · 23/10/2018 14:01

Of course! What is she going to see?

SummerGems · 23/10/2018 14:02

My DS goes to the cinema alone and has been since he was fourteen which was when the cinema around here opened. He has a limitless card so if a film comes out he goes to see it - and no, he’s not going there on dates but even if he was who cares?

But actually, the cinema isn’t exactly a social experience is it? People go to watch the films not to have conversations so I don’t see a problem with going alone or that it’s weird or anything and neither do I think that OP’s DD saying she wants to go alone means she’s lying.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.