My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be scared by DFS reviews? Or am I just hormonal....

59 replies

twiglet · 20/10/2018 22:15

We are in the middle of massive renovation project and I'm 24 wks pregnant which I think is making me more anxious!

We spent ages looking at sofas this afternoon (oak furniture land, Harvey's, scs and dfs) found one a corner one we liked in DFS the abigail range but didn't order due to no carpets, walls etc currently.🙈 But trying to get everything lined up before baby arrives last thing I want is delivery men with a newborn!

So came home and did a bit more research and now completely confused and overwhelmed. Some recent reviews are horror stories and quite concerned about the whole cleaning aspect/weird insurance thing especially with a baby.

I've said to DH that we need to rethink, he doesn't want to buy a sofa that he can't try (which I get) but I'm worried about spending so much money and then having loads of issues!

I won't have the energy to sort it out if it goes wrong but not sure if I'm being hormonal!

Help!!!!!

OP posts:
InspectorIkmen · 20/10/2018 22:19

What is the cleaning aspect and what weird insurance thing?

Fluffyears · 20/10/2018 22:20

I’ve had two DFS sofas. Perfectly ok, delivered on time and really hardwearing etc. My friend had an absolute nightmare with Harvey’s and no sofa after 22 weeks she got one in DFS delivered within 2 weeks.

twiglet · 20/10/2018 22:22

From reading it appears that you need to purchase guardsman furniture protection against stains. Which many reviews said that they wouldn't honour due to water marks not being covered from sponging with a damp cloth and it being a battle Confused

OP posts:
Velmasglasses · 20/10/2018 22:24

I've had a couple of sofas from Drs, both lovely, lasted well, no problem with keeping them clean (one fabric, one leather). One of the seats on the leather one went a big saggy after a couple of years and they repaired it straight away, free of charge.

twiglet · 20/10/2018 22:25

I feel ridiculous that at 32 purchasing a sofa is causing so much anxiety my DH is in a bit of a huff probably due to the time spent today and I just feel like buying an inflatable one from argos.....

OP posts:
LostInShoebiz · 20/10/2018 22:25

We’ve had two different DFS sofas - delivered at the same time for different rooms and in totally different materials and styles - within about 4 weeks they looked a few years old. A man came out from DFS to investigate and said we were using them too much. We were only two adults both working full time and had been away on holiday for two of the four weeks. Would never use them again. Better to spend a bit more and get quality.

LostInShoebiz · 20/10/2018 22:28

Read the contract around the stain protection and the totally bullshit easy glide feet carefully.

Pretty much any attempts to remove stains yourself invalidate the stain insurance - and who isn’t going at least try to wipe a stain - and the feet can be bought for a couple of quid in Wilko (which we did after the feet fell off DURING THE DELIVERY).

Singlenotsingle · 20/10/2018 22:28

It's just another money grabbing con. We bought sofa's 2 years ago and they wanted us to insure it against damage. Shock In the end we bought their own fabric cleaning stuff. What a waste of money! We've never used it (AND with 2 small dgc!)

nonetworkaccess · 20/10/2018 22:29

We've had ours 10 years and it still looks new. Depends on how you look after them I suppose.

We asked about the cleaning insurance and were told that if you spill anything on it, NOT to touch it. The cleaning people would sort it or replace it.

Essexgirlupnorth · 20/10/2018 22:34

We bought our last sofa from DFS don't think we bothered with the stain protector. It did break quicker than I expected and don't think I would buy another sofa from them.

Muddlingalongalone · 20/10/2018 22:35

I've had 2 x dfs sofas and no issues.
Have you got accidental damage cover on your home insurance? I just said no to any add-ons.
Don't buy light blue though - mine looked beautiful for about 6 weeks....this was pre children and it still managed to look dirty.

twiglet · 20/10/2018 22:36

This is what worries me..... Its £1300....

OP posts:
Burlea · 20/10/2018 22:38

We are sitting on our 2nd DFS sofa, the first lasted over 10 years which then went to our Son and DIL and then went to a neighbour of theres. This one is now 6 years old and still in good condition.

DaisyDando · 20/10/2018 22:40

I had a lovely DFS sofa which lasted about ten years. I only got rid of it because it was cream and starting to look a bit grubby round the edges. Bought a new one three years ago and within the year, the main cushions on the seats looked worn and bobbly. I can’t stand it now.

Lucisky · 20/10/2018 22:44

The biggest problem I had with my dfs sofa was that it wasn't comfortable. The one in the shop seemed fine, but the same model, when delivered, was very hard and you couldn't relax into it. Mine had loose covers, so no problems with marks etc as I could wash them, but all the cushions went flat within a few months, despite energetic plumping, and it was only being used in the evenings by two adults.
It lasted about 6 years before I got fed up with the discomfort.
The sofa I am sitting on now is 15 years old and is as comfy as the first day I bought it, with no appreciable signs of wear. It is the same price bracket as dfs.
I think there are better sofas out there tbh.

TigerJae · 20/10/2018 22:45

Currently sitting on my relatively cheap DFS sofa bed that still looks new - two years old now. Didn’t get stain protector.

Kr1stina · 20/10/2018 22:47

All renovation takes longer and costs more than you thought. So do not even think about buying a sofa until you are nearly finished . Or you will end up storing it in your mother’s garage.

Do not buy a 1300£ sofa unless you are made of money. And after the renovation is finished you will be broke.

Do not buy a fancy sofa until your children have left home . Go to Ikea and get one with removable covers or leather / faux leather finish .

Ohyesiam · 20/10/2018 22:49

TrySofa Workshop

twiglet · 20/10/2018 22:51

We have got accidental damage on home insurance but would need to increase our policy value.

@Lucisky do you mind me asking where from?

Hmmm reading these makes me feel less like a crazy pregnant lady!

OP posts:
Jayfee · 20/10/2018 22:52

IKEA have a good range

Stringofpearls · 20/10/2018 22:54

Love my dfs sofa, hated the service!

twiglet · 20/10/2018 22:55

Definitely not made of money but we have saved up a reasonable amount for renovation and decorating. We furnished the house from gumtree when we moved in. 4 years of some quite faded and lumpy sofas we wanted something comfortable!

OP posts:

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

notangelinajolie · 20/10/2018 22:58

The only sofas I have bought from DFS were leather. The 2 seater looked as good as new for years. The 3 seater seat padding went flat within months and the leather wasnt far behind - faded and saggy. I have no idea why the two sofas wore so differently - bought at the same time, same range, same leather, same colour, same amount of use. I guess it's the luck of the draw. We replaced them with fabric ones from ILVA. ILVA is long gone from our high street but 10 years in my sofas still look as good as new

Vampiratequeen · 20/10/2018 23:01

Currently sat on my chair from DFS and my DH is on the matching sofa. I love them. We have had them 8 months and have 2 kids (4 and 1) and a cat, they still look new and are really sturdy. Our last one was from SCS and the back supports collapsed after 1 year, by the time we could finally afford to get a new one the only thing we could do with it was destroy it, it broke before we had even finished paying for it.

tillytrotter1 · 20/10/2018 23:02

Our daughter bought a sofa from them when squishy cushions were the mode, looked like a sack of potatoes within 6 months, just the two of them, working full time. They then bought from a local independent furniture store, three children later they cushions are still in good condition and shape, the cover has lasted amazingly well. They cost a bit more and of course there wasn't the interest free credit but they have certainly been worth it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.