Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To go on holiday mid GCSE exams.

94 replies

GCSEDoom · 15/10/2018 15:41

The only time we can all get off together is half term in May. Would be going to see/with family.

Literally mid exams.
Would this be a really bad idea?
Child has Sen and is already massively stressed about exams, is looking at scraping C's rather than A star.
Are they likely to be exams across half term?

Would you ?

OP posts:
Disfordarkchocolate · 15/10/2018 15:43

No exams but plenty of time for revision and quiet time to reduce stress. I wouldn't go.

Starlight345 · 15/10/2018 15:43

Absolutely not . It’s the one year focus is definitely on exams

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer · 15/10/2018 15:43

Well im not sure a great idea but there are no exams over half term so they wouldn't miss sitting an actual exam

halcyondays · 15/10/2018 15:44

Definitely not.

Mrskeats · 15/10/2018 15:44

Very bad idea

southnownorth · 15/10/2018 15:44

I wouldn't go, my dd was at school all that half term week.

Bluebelltulip · 15/10/2018 15:45

Never heard of exams over half term. I probably would if it's visiting family, a break can be beneficial. Is there the possibility of doing some revision while you are there? One downside I can think of is if the school put on extra help sessions in half term.

WeirdCatLady · 15/10/2018 15:45

There won’t be exams over the half term holiday but surely disrupting your child in the middle of their exam period is a bad idea?? They will need to be revising over half term, not exactly a nice way to spend their ‘holiday’. Shouldn’t you be supporting them, rather than dragging them around??

And I hope you don’t talk to them about their performance in this way - not very nice. It sounds like you are terribly disappointed in them.

Please tell me this is a wind up.

pacer142 · 15/10/2018 15:45

Yes, a really, really bad idea. That week is a good opportunity to get down to some serious revision for the exams after half term. In the 2/3 weeks before, they have exams every day or so, so not much time for revision other than last minute cramming for the next day's exams.

Seeline · 15/10/2018 15:46

Unlikely to be over half term, but could easily have one or two on the Monday after. I really wouldn't do it. Not fair on the child (my DS did them last year). Certainly should be doing some revision over the break. What if you were delayed coming home?

FullMetalRabbit · 15/10/2018 15:47

They won't have any during half term but our school arranged lots of revision sessions at school during that time

Jeezoh · 15/10/2018 15:47

Are you serious?! You’ll be asking if the sky is blue next Hmm

fourcorneredcircle · 15/10/2018 15:47

I’d stay home. Keep them in a familiar place where they feel comfortable, sleeping in their own bed. Encourage them to revise AND to have down time of course, but this is not the time for a holiday.

RaymondHolt · 15/10/2018 15:47

Usually schools put on revision sessions in the half term.

We certainly do.

How much preparation can your dc do on holiday? I would imagine that they would get more anxious as they have to find somewhere quiet to get on and feel bad that they've not done as much as they could. Not a good feeling to be going into an exam the next week with!

The exams are a lot more challenging now and if they don't hit a 4 in Maths or English they'll be doing them again in college.

RaymondHolt · 15/10/2018 15:48

Ps - usually I'm all for family time I've school but Y11 would be my only exception.

Wolfiefan · 15/10/2018 15:49

Dreadful idea.

clary · 15/10/2018 15:49

No exams in Whit week, no, but I wouldn't go away then.

DD did GCSEs 2yrs ago AND she worked heavily on the pre half term ones first (French, Eng lit, drama ), sort of leaving a lot of the last work for the later ones till half term hols - so then she could focus on her science, Eng lang, maths.

It was helpful for her focus, would have been a nightmare to be away that week.

BTW op, it's numbers not letters now for everything. Not trying to be snide, just I don't think it's helpful to think in terms of A and C any more.

Good luck to your dc. Could you not arrange a trip or two in late june/early July when they are done?

ThistleAmore · 15/10/2018 15:49

Only you know your child's temperament - for some, a break can be a good thing, but for others (myself included at that age), routine is VITAL and breaking it up can be enormously stressful (you don't mention the nature of your child's SEN, but I have Asperger's and a need for routine - down to knowing what I'm going to eat, when and where - is fairly typical).

I would suggest you take a really hard look at what's best for them - ask them what they'd prefer, even!.

PurpleFlower1983 · 15/10/2018 15:50

Terrible idea. This is absolutely the one year when you need to be home during that period.

GCSEDoom · 15/10/2018 15:50

Of course I don't talk to them about their expected grades like that and I'm not disappointed in the slightest in them . With their Sen and how far they have come from where they were a C will be a blooming miracle and something we will all be made up about.

I literally had my Mum throw a date at me on the phone half an hour ago and was looking for opinions.
Particularly as DC gets very very stressed about exams and I didn't know if it would help or hinder.

Hence asking opinions. I certainly haven't booked anything!

OP posts:
Vickymj · 15/10/2018 15:52

No I definitely wouldn’t. I agree with everyone. My DS has also just done GCSEs, as others have said there are no exams over half term but most schools do hold extra revision sessions.

I think if you go away it will be harder for your DC to get back into ‘exam mode’ too.

A bad idea imo

bpisok · 15/10/2018 15:54

Bad bad bad idea.

Sorry!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

mrbob · 15/10/2018 15:54

I normally think people over react about the awfulness of taking term time holidays/doing things near exams but I would say no WAY. Massive unnecessary stress. Stay home and if they need a break from study have a day out but don’t take them away :(

GCSEDoom · 15/10/2018 15:54

Sorry level 4. I still can't get my head around the new system.

Thanks to the people answering constructively rather than jumping on me for simply asking...

OP posts:
LIZS · 15/10/2018 15:54

There won't be exams (provisional timetable should be available) during half term but we found that the week after was quite intense. Also late revision sessions etc may be scheduled.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.