Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

AIBU?

I am

42 replies

brokenanddesperate · 02/10/2018 14:36

I know I am because this isn't an unreasonable but a cry for help.
I've posted on the money board but I'm so desperate I need help.
Please can anyone give me any tips on how to raise £700 in a short amount of time?

OP posts:
Nicknacky · 02/10/2018 14:38

How short a time and what have you looked at doing?

RickOShay · 02/10/2018 14:38

Flowers
Have you got anything you can sell?
Have you got the time to get another job? Cleaning can be very well paid and fit in around other commitments.

SneakyGremlins · 02/10/2018 14:39

Do you have anything spare at all you can sell? Summer clothes?

vivavivaviva · 02/10/2018 14:39

Need much more information if we're going to help. What time/skills do you have?

TinklyLittleLaugh · 02/10/2018 14:43

Have you tried a temp agency, bar agency, cleaning, babysitting?

Do you have anyone who could lend you the money? Can you get an overdraft or put it on your credit card?

Do you have anything to pawn or sell? My daughter recently got £110 from a jeweller for a very ugly gold necklace and some broken chains.

AuntBeastie · 02/10/2018 14:48

How long do you have to get the money? And how much free time do you currently have - do you work, if so is it full time? If you have kids do you have childcare?
If you borrowed money, could you pay it back over time or would that be an impossible commitment?

brokenanddesperate · 02/10/2018 15:03

I am doing a few evenings here and there earning money but I have special dietary requirements so that money just seems to be going on that.
Babysitting is a good idea, I shall ask around about that as I am a qualified childcare professional.
I'm currently begging for an old job back im so desperate

OP posts:
crochetmonkey74 · 02/10/2018 15:05

I would say selling things on facebook is quite good- very quick and instant.
Furniture goes well and rugs/ lamps etc

Yes to old jewellery if you have that hanging about

Spaghettijumper · 02/10/2018 15:08

If this is an issue with debts, please bear in mind that no creditor wants to see you go under - it is always worth talking to Step Change www.stepchange.org/ a debt management charity about what you can do to sort out a payment plan - the vast vast majority of companies will let you drastically reduce payments because for them it's better for you to pay something than nothing at all.

Good luck

brokenanddesperate · 02/10/2018 15:09

Unfortunately I have nothing I can sell, I've been living out of cardboard boxes due to sofa surfing for the last year so everything I have is definitely needed

OP posts:
Eliza9917 · 02/10/2018 15:47

As well as babysitting, look at creche services for events like parties/weddings etc. I don't now if you'd need to team up with someone else if there were a few kids.

HopeMumsnet · 02/10/2018 17:13

Hi all,
We're just popping on with our usual caveat that right now we can't see any evidence to indicate that the OP isn't above board - if we did, we'd remove the thread straight away.

But the truth is that, sadly, we at MNHQ can't know with 100% certainty that any poster is genuine, no matter who they are or how long they have been here. As frustrating as it is, we're not able to vouch for anyone here.

So we always ask everyone to remember that not everyone on the internet is who they say they are - and remind folk not to give more to another poster, either financially (in cash or gifts) or emotionally (in time or care and support) than they'd be prepared to lose if things went wrong.

Tahani · 02/10/2018 17:40

Oh dear, what do you need the money for?

cate16 · 02/10/2018 17:44

If you have and up do date online DBS, then offer yourself as 'bank staff' at full day nurseries (assuming you have a relevant L3+).
I did this and was able to negotiate a good rate- more than usual rate, but less than an agency would charge. I made myself available from 7am onwards on a day-today basis. I ended up working full time at my local nursery on my own rates of pay.

cate16 · 02/10/2018 17:46

** although you will need to be able to provide references etc.

wineandcheeese · 02/10/2018 18:00

Are there any expenses you could cut back on? E.g walking instead of driving/bus, cutting out meat, anything like that?

MissusGeneHunt · 02/10/2018 18:11

I don't know what your needs are OP, and I'm sorry you're in this position; but if you have special dietary requirements (I'm presuming they are medical needs), is it worth seeing if you qualify for some items on prescription or something similar?

Is this for rent? If so, can you approach your LL about it - far better to talk to them now before it mounts even further.

I hope it resolves, I really do.

Emmageddon · 02/10/2018 18:19

Have you checked to see if you are eligible for any benefits? £700 is a lot of money though, why do you need such a specific amount? If someone was to lend it you, would you ever be in a position to pay them back?

Feefeetrixabelle · 02/10/2018 18:21

Is the debt an essential debt OP? Can you not negotiate how much you need to pay? Or is it to move into somewhere? Your local council may have deposit schemes/move in grants

brokenanddesperate · 03/10/2018 01:46

@HopeMumsnet I never intended this to be a begging thread and wouldn't have accepted any offers of actual financial help, I just need tips and advice.
I fully understand that sometimes people are seeking out vulnerable people to send money so appreciate that you were warning people.
Just wanted to clarify the point of the thread so that it doesn't get removed as some of the replies are very helpful and are helping me not feel so worried

OP posts:
FissionChips · 03/10/2018 01:52

Do you need it for rent? If so, have you checked to see if you can get an emergency hardship payment?

brokenanddesperate · 03/10/2018 01:52

I'm currently jumping through all the hoops for benefits but the hoops keep moving and I won't have the offer of the flat soon which will mean I will have to continue sofa surfing in some horrible houses.
I have no debts to pay, and if I could I'd take out a loan but i don't have a good enough credit score for a "proper" one (nobody will explain why but my phone contract has messed up my credit score), and none of my family are in a position to help bar one who doesn't actually want me to move so would never lend me the money.
The £700 is a specific amount because it's rent and bills for the first month, I know I can have everything sorted out by then but it's just getting that first lot of payments through that I'm worried about.

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Monday55 · 03/10/2018 03:10

Are you in receipt of any benefits? Have you applied for any benefits? Why have you been declined benefits?

Where's the cash for 2nd month rent and bills going to come from if you can't afford 1st month?

You might have to swallow your pride and stay with family or friemds for a month or two whilst you save up wages for a deposit and rent.

What happened to your last permanent residence ?

Belina · 03/10/2018 04:33

Where do you live?

steff13 · 03/10/2018 04:40

Are you the poster who was living with her mother, and she was abusive towards you? Locking you out if the house, etc.?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.