Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To relocate to London

37 replies

pastelballoon · 31/07/2017 22:04

I just can't get a job where I am.

Am fairly sure I could get one in the big smoke (obviously wouldn't move until I did.)

Lived there for a while in my twenties. I'm older now! Then, I lived in a houseshare. I'm not sure I could bring myself to return to that but I guess I'd have to. Would it be madly unreasonable to share a house Mon-Fri and come "home" at weekends? I feel I'd then be missing out on the best things about London ...

I guess I wouldn't need the car so that's one saving.

I don't know.

OP posts:
Fekko · 31/07/2017 22:06

It used to be a thing in the City for people to rent a room Sunday night to Friday morning and go home for the weekend.

AntiHop · 31/07/2017 22:08

What have you got to lose by trying?

pastelballoon · 31/07/2017 22:12

Well, the main thing I'm worried about is family, having children in London just wouldn't be affordable so it's a big step insofar as moving then possibly having to move back (I am old.)

OP posts:
BarbaraofSeville · 31/07/2017 22:39

Where are you now and what sort of job are you looking for?

What about looking in another city where you are likely to be able to afford better housing than a room in a shared house? Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow, Cardiff, Liverpool, etc?

pastelballoon · 31/07/2017 22:40

I actually live in one of those cities but can't find a job Sad

OP posts:
SpiritedLondon · 31/07/2017 22:48

Well people have children in London you know..... all the time. I've seen them! You don't actually have to live in London you could commute in from a trillion commuter towns around and about. If need be put a time limit on it - say 2 years, by which time you aim to transfer back to your preferred city. Mind you that was my plan and 18 years later I'm still here.

sixinthebedandthelittleonesaid · 31/07/2017 22:50

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thecatfromjapan · 31/07/2017 22:54

Why don't you just apply for a job you think you'd like, see if you get it, see if the finances work out, and give it a whirl? You seem to be putting you cart before your horse: over-thinking the location bit before looking at the actual job bit.

You seem to be worrying about children, etc., which (if you don't actually have them yet,) is obviously some way down the line, ahead of actually finding a job you might want to do and pay enough to make moving worthwhile.

pastelballoon · 31/07/2017 22:54

I know, but financially it would be a killer still (I live in the grim North, it's all expensive past Birmingham Wink)

OP posts:
JessieMcJessie · 31/07/2017 23:48

Surely it's more unaffordable to have children if you have no job? Confused

Groupie123 · 01/08/2017 05:50

What's your salary target? Many people commute from Carlisle/Macclesfield/Manchester into London daily for at least 50k- works out cheaper than renting. An alternative is relocating within a 30min commute London - so Milton Keynes or Bedford.

pastelballoon · 01/08/2017 08:37

Exactly Jessie, this is my dilemma.

But making Confused at me doesn't help. It's hard enough trying to get jobs and not getting anywhere.

My salary would probably be around £45,000 in London, more like £40 elsewhere.

OP posts:
Tralalalalz · 01/08/2017 08:58

£45k in London is an affordable salary for a single person. If you find a partner on £45 then an income of £90k is more than liveable. You might have to move out a few zones or commute in but so do millions of other people. Having kids in London is great especially if you're on a budget as so much is free

pastelballoon · 01/08/2017 09:09

It's living costs plus childcare Tra and commuting costs - it doesn't seem as affordable then!

OP posts:
Nannplum666 · 01/08/2017 09:10

what type of industry to do work in? have you been on Linkedin? some sectors also have specific recruitment companies as well. Might be worth getting in touch with some of them and seeing if they can help.
With only a difference of £5k in wages it would be alot easier to stay up north if you can. Also look out for jobs that are home based with travel.
I have to go our London office on a regular basis (sometimes once a week) but I prefer to live in the North West and my company are fine with that.

pastelballoon · 01/08/2017 09:12

Linkedin isn't really used for my field. It's so called a shortage area but I think it's only in certain places.

OP posts:
CoughLaughFart · 01/08/2017 09:15

Look at potential areas to live - at the moment this is all speculation. Avoid the zone snobbery that forces so many in London to pay over the odds; try to find some areas you like that are sensible options cost-wise. Then you can start applying with a plan.

pastelballoon · 01/08/2017 09:16

Haha I don't even know what zone snobbery is! I'll be living wherever I can afford my car Grin

OP posts:
DisorderedAllsorts · 01/08/2017 09:22

Have a look at the local HE sector in your city, they usually recruit for none academic roles such as IT, admin, HR etc. Compare the roles to the London equivalent and then start factoring in living expenses. Do that for all roles/sectors & London always pays better but that's because the cost of living is high.

jobs.mumsnet.com/jobs/

Tralalalalz · 01/08/2017 09:57

Of course £90k (assuming such numbers) is ok for childcare and commuting. It won't buy you a millionaire lifestyle but it's affordable to live, pay rent, pay childcare and still have a life. It's £5600 a month. Rent: £1500, £1400 childcare, commute £320 for 2 people from an outer zone - it leaves you with £2200 for bills and other stuff.

pastelballoon · 01/08/2017 10:10

Well, you're assuming I'd meet someone on a similar income, TBF: it's more likelyI'd have to do it alone

OP posts:
TheNightmanCometh · 01/08/2017 10:18

Is your field one where you'd be more likely to find work in London?

Because in all honesty, you should be laughing on 40k in a northern city. DH and I have often earned less than this in combination and never been any less than comfortable, even with more than one child. And I would not be willing to give up the standard of living afforded on 40k in a northern city to earn 45k in London. Much less to be a single parent on that salary there.

However... none of this is relevant if you can't actually find a job anywhere other than London.

HipsterHunter · 01/08/2017 10:38

@pastelballoon I have a lodger who stays with me Tuesday-Friday and reruns home to his family at the weekends (and WFH on Monday)

It is quite common for Cit/Wharf workers.

My salary would probably be around £45,000 in London, more like £40 elsewhere

You can live well on £45k although you probably need to flat share you can flat share in a NICE flat in a lovely location with just one other person.

Because in all honesty, you should be laughing on 40k in a northern city.

Yes I agree. Whilst £45k in London is totally fine. £40k in e.g. Leeds or Manchester is AMAZING. You will have a much better quality of life!

TheNightmanCometh · 01/08/2017 10:41

Would you actually be able to flatshare with a child anyway OP? As in, are there landlords and people to live with who'll accept it?

pastelballoon · 01/08/2017 10:42

I doubt i'd be able to flatshare with a child. I know that £40k up here is good, I live here, but if I can't get a job that's not relevant Sad

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.