Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To relocate to London

37 replies

pastelballoon · 31/07/2017 22:04

I just can't get a job where I am.

Am fairly sure I could get one in the big smoke (obviously wouldn't move until I did.)

Lived there for a while in my twenties. I'm older now! Then, I lived in a houseshare. I'm not sure I could bring myself to return to that but I guess I'd have to. Would it be madly unreasonable to share a house Mon-Fri and come "home" at weekends? I feel I'd then be missing out on the best things about London ...

I guess I wouldn't need the car so that's one saving.

I don't know.

OP posts:
BannedFromNarnia · 01/08/2017 10:49

That's not enough to live in nicely on your own in London. I mean yes people manage but it's a gem of a struggle.

However it probably is enough to live in a nice town outside the m25 and commute. Work out your main line stations and which general areas would allow you to get to London fairly quickly and be on the right side of the country for visiting family, etc.

Then look at train routes and prices and compare to rightmove rent prices until you find a sweet spot. We saved £200 a month doing this and ended up with a shorter commute than in zone 3. Last train back for us is about 1am too.

Obvs don't move onto a Southern route though.

SafeToCross · 01/08/2017 10:54

I know travelling for interviews might be expensive, but you could start job hunting in London but also two other major cities, then as you look at jobs you can investigate the 'where to live' and commute questions as you go.

It is fairly inevitable that your income will take a huge hit as a parent though, especially on your own. If you definitely plan to ttc then in your position I would put flexibility and location above income in the job hunt.

TheNightmanCometh · 01/08/2017 10:55

Well that's what I meant OP. This isn't necessarily a straight 40k in Leeds v 45k in London comparison. Hence, would you be able to get a job in London in your field? Is there something specific you have seen or do you just think it would be easier there? Is there nothing at all you could do elsewhere? Also I notice you mention there are a number of shortage areas in your field- they all down south?

pastelballoon · 01/08/2017 11:07

Seem to be! I need to basically be the only candidate at an interview as when there is a choice between me and someone else or several others they inevitably plump for the other candidate Sad

OP posts:
BarbaraofSeville · 01/08/2017 11:16

If you're getting interviews but being unsuccessful, might advice on interview technique be worthwhile? I don't know where you could get this, I'm sure someone could advise. Or it could be that there are simply a lot of strong candidates, so someone always loses out.

But if you genuinely are being interviewed for £40k posts in northern England that would pay £45k in London, the same advice would apply because there are likely to be as many, if not more good candidates in London, because more people inexplicably want to be there, even though you would need a lot more than an extra £5k before tax to make up for the differences in living costs.

MikeUniformMike · 01/08/2017 11:21

Pastel, could you apply in another northern city or town. For example, say you live in Liverpool could you apply for a position in Manchester/Lancaster/Bradford/Stoke/Derby/etc? Your salary would probably go further than it would in London.

HipsterHunter · 01/08/2017 11:32

So there are jobs you just aren't getting them? That's encouraging because it's something you can work on rather than there being no jobs.

Have you had feedback? What have they said?

Have you had any coaching sessions on interview technique?

TheNightmanCometh · 01/08/2017 11:33

I agree interview technique advice would definitely be a good idea, but it's possible there's more competition per role where OP is than London. Seems unlikely, but not impossible. I would try and research it further though OP. Do you know for sure that London is a shortage area for your sector, or are you just assuming you'll have a better chance because there are more jobs there?

Am also thinking about transferrable skills OP. 40k being a pretty decent salary in the cities you mention, I'm left wondering if you could make a sideways move? Because even for a lower salary, you might still have a better quality of life. I'd still choose 35k or even 30k in Manchester over 45k in London, unless I had particular reasons for wanting to be in London such as family.

Fernanie · 01/08/2017 11:45

FWIW, DH and I (plus 2 DCs) privately rent a nice, good-sized 2-bed flat in Zone 2 on a joint annual income of £45k. Before people assume we live in a dump, the only flaw in the flat is that bedroom carpet sustained some water damage a few years ago that's still faintly visible. We're not constantly scrimping to make ends meet, but we're reasonably mindful with our money. I don't impulse-buy clothes, we cycle many places, only eat out once or twice a month, and hold out for reduced-price entry to shows, exhibitions etc. Occasionally date night involves a 2-for-1 voucher. I work part-time and also do some freelance work from home to ease the childcare burden. But we have a pretty decent standard of living, and some savings, and are rarely worried about money. With £45k for a single person you'll be laughing OP, even if you do go on to have a child alone or with a low earner.

user1495390685 · 01/08/2017 11:51

OP, can you work remotely -- for at least part of the time?

I used to rent a room to a someone who came in to London in the week as she had to do lots of late-night client entertaining. You can just suggest it, don't look for it in ads -- some potential landlords would jump at the chance of having the flat/house to themselves at the weekend.

theleavesaregreener · 01/08/2017 12:02

Why don't you just apply for a job you think you'd like, see if you get it, see if the finances work out, and give it a whirl? You seem to be putting you cart before your horse: over-thinking the location bit before looking at the actual job bit.

^this!

Shantasia · 01/08/2017 16:39

Have you actually applied for any jobs in London, or is this speculation about the £45k? I agree with PPs - it might be worth finding out what's not quite hitting the mark with the roles you're currently applying for, before pinning everything on uprooting yourself.

You're not a social worker who can't pass a driving test, by any chance?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.