AIBU?

Who was right/wrong here?

42 replies

WhoMovedMyPeas · 26/07/2017 17:13

Scenario

Indoor Hotel Pool
Summer holidays
Very quiet spell

Woman A and children around pool. She has laptop and is using it and watching the children

Woman B comes in with her children
They settle and the children start to jump into the pool which causes a few tiny splashes which land on the laptop.

Woman A asks the girls to move to the other side of the pool to jump. They stay and continue to jump splashing the laptop more. Woman A covers laptop with towel and asks woman B of her children can move.

Woman B tells woman A that it's not a brilliant place to take a laptop and suggests she should put it away as they're in a swimming pool.

Woman A tells woman B that there are no viewing areas other than the side of the pool.

Woman B tells her children to continue jumping and having fun and that woman A should be enjoying time in the pool not staring at a screen.

Woman A hears this and tells woman B to fuck off learn some manners and that she is working and looking after her children. [confused
]

OP posts:
youokayhun · 26/07/2017 17:14

Woman A is a dick

Katedotness1963 · 26/07/2017 17:15

A is in the wrong.

luckiestgirl · 26/07/2017 17:16

Woman A has just told a stranger to fuck off, which is aggressive and unkind, so regardless of the rest, she is unreasonable

JustMumNowNotMe · 26/07/2017 17:16

Well a swimming pool isn't a great place for a laptop, but would it have killed B to ask her kids to move so A could work? And B was passive agressive with her comments about the screen, no wonder A was pissed off . Not all parents have the luxury of not working over summer.

ImperialBlether · 26/07/2017 17:16

A is not in the wrong! Unless there was nowhere else for B and the children to sit, they should have gone elsewhere.

FrancisCrawford · 26/07/2017 17:17

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

luckiestgirl · 26/07/2017 17:17

But if I were woman B I would have just got my girls to move to the other end of the pool.

Pickleypickles · 26/07/2017 17:18

Woman B is right-ish although not an ideal place to have your laptop if it was the only place she could see her kids and woman A's children had the whole rest of the pool. I think it is rude to carry on regardless having being told politely that you are being splashed and don't it like, whatever the reason

Questioningeverything · 26/07/2017 17:21

The woman with the laptop should have moved. If she doesn't want it damaged, you don't take it by the pool full stop

knockknockknock · 26/07/2017 17:22

Has this been posted twice? You're Woman A aren't you???

Needsomeflapjacks · 26/07/2017 17:23

Most pools don't allow devices. . .
Apart from its a SWIMMING POOL NOT AN OFFICE. .

HappyintheHills · 26/07/2017 17:24

Woman A was probably under all sorts of pressures, else why would she be trying to work there?
She asked if they could play elsewhere, would it have harmed anybody to help her out?

MsPassepartout · 26/07/2017 17:25

I don't think either of them are coming over well here.

Woman A was rude and the side of a pool is a silly place to use a laptop.

It was inconsiderate of Woman B to refuse to move her children to another part of the pool, and rude to make remarks about Woman A's laptop use (doesn't excuse the swearing though).

TonicAndTonic · 26/07/2017 17:26

It doesn't sound like either of them excelled themselves in that encounter, but my initial thought is that however weird woman A was to use a laptop next to a pool, woman B crossed the line first be saying that woman A should be enjoying time in the pool not staring at a screen. Tbh I really wouldn't appreciate a stranger commenting on anything I 'should be' doing. But Woman A shouldn't swear at other people.

JustMumNowNotMe · 26/07/2017 17:27

Woman B tells her children to continue jumping and having fun and that woman A should be enjoying time in the pool not staring at a screen
OP if you are B, maybe try being less of a patronising, passive agressive cow and maybe you won't get called out on it.

LloydColeandhisCoconuts · 26/07/2017 17:27

(In the words of previous threads) Diagram please or it didn't happen! Grin

VeryButchyRestingFace · 26/07/2017 17:30

Has this been posted twice? You're Woman A aren't you???

O.M.G. She's clearly B, pissy at being told to shift it by security.

M0stlyBowlingHedgehog · 26/07/2017 17:31

Woman A is bloody bonkers. Who the hell takes an expensive laptop poolside to a swimming pool where, when used as intended as a swimming pool - there will be splashes?

I don't think woman B over-reacted - woman A quite unreasonably challenged her twice because woman A wanted to do something stupid, and second time round woman B quite understandably pointed out that it was a stupid thing to do.

loveslipstick · 26/07/2017 17:34

A is in the wrong however you are clearly B so your story may be biased

Trollspoopglitter · 26/07/2017 17:37

I don't have a laptop and I still don't want kids splashing me. That said, it's been a long time since I've seen an indoor pool that doesn't have a giant "no diving" sign, so that overexcited kids don't splash every other guest because their fun tops anyone else's discomfort Hmm

AtHomeDadGlos · 26/07/2017 17:39

Woman A. Lucky her laptop didn't end up in the pool.

namechange20050 · 26/07/2017 17:41

Both women sound pretty awful. Stupid to use a laptop by the pool but not good to let your kids splash other people.

DesperatelySeekingSushi · 26/07/2017 17:46

Depends on how old the kids were and where the shallow end was.
First time they jumped, if little, totally understandable.
Further times not so much, unless other side was just as shallow.

Spikeyball · 26/07/2017 17:46

Woman A but woman B to be blameless should have ignored her and made no comments. If the splashing was upsetting someone in the pool then it would have been reasonable to ask.

HipsterHunter · 26/07/2017 17:49

Is it a normal pool, or like a health club pool with loungers round the edge?

If I was sitting on a lounger with my book I wouldn't want to be splashed by children jumping in next to me.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.