Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features


What would you (or social services [shock] make of this?

71 replies

CodeineAddict22 · 19/07/2017 22:08

Someone taking Codiene tablets apart, lots of them (not sure of exact number) and then liquidising them and taking them like that?

Kitchen is like a scene from The Nightmare Before Christmas (mad scientist?)

I don't know what to do.

OP posts:

greathat · 19/07/2017 22:10

You need to contact your GP, say you have an addiction and get them to refer you to the right person. Where are you getting the codeine from?


StillDrivingMeBonkers · 19/07/2017 22:10

Call 999 if they are trying to commit suicide. You really have to ask?


Ahardyfool · 19/07/2017 22:11

Lots as in overdose or lots as in been taking for yonks and had to up the dose to get the effect?


listsandbudgets · 19/07/2017 22:12

Id make of it that whoever has dine it should be getting themselves to A and E as quickly as possible and even possibly calling an ambulance.

Get yourself help and worry about what people think another time. I wont judge nobody does that sort of thing without good reason.


CodeineAddict22 · 19/07/2017 22:12

They aren't trying to commit suicide. It's as in, drug taking, not as in, trying to kill yourself.

OP posts:

Changerofname987654321 · 19/07/2017 22:13

What do you mean by lots? Why is the person taking them? Are there children in the house? Is there another responsible adult?


biscuitmillionaire · 19/07/2017 22:14

Is this your partner?


StillDrivingMeBonkers · 19/07/2017 22:15

It's an overdose - so same applies.


CodeineAddict22 · 19/07/2017 22:15

Oh, I shouldn't have posted. I mean drug addiction, but it is codeine rather than heroin or cocaine. I knew it went on but it's horrible seeing it.

OP posts:

BifsWif · 19/07/2017 22:15

Social services will try and help you. Engaging with them is seen as a good thing.

Right now though, you need to call 111.


tamaramcnamara · 19/07/2017 22:16

Apparently, according to the experts, small overdoses of painkillers taken repeatedly over time are WORSE for someone than actaully taking 60 painkillers in one go. In other words, very few people succeed in suicide with painkillers but some die if they take small overdoses or large doses over a significant period of time


CodeineAddict22 · 19/07/2017 22:17

I can't call 111; they'd just talk me to call 999 or go to A & E anyway. Sorry, I suppose I was more asking how you should deal with/help a drug addict. But you can't, I suppose.

OP posts:

SideOrderofSprouts · 19/07/2017 22:19

You are being told how to deal with it. This is an opiate addiction and you need medical help to stop

You've taken the first step admitting that this is a problem even if it is to a group of strangers. So you recognize that. Now you need professional help


SideOrderofSprouts · 19/07/2017 22:21

You're not taking it to overdose I'm guessing it's for the hit. For the floaty feeling that everything is okay

Whilst it feels good you know it's not. It's an emotional crutch that isn't going to support you forever.

It's not going to be easy but you can stop this. Your GP can prescribe you something to help. Please get help


ImperialBlether · 19/07/2017 22:21

Did you watch BBC 2 at 9 pm yesterday? There was a programme about addiction and a woman there was addicted to co-codamol, though I think she had been addicted to other things before. It might be worth a watch.

In your position I would talk to my doctor about this person. Horrible, horrible situation for you to be in.


WellThisIsShit · 19/07/2017 22:21

A format issue or using a medical drug for recreational purposes?

People crush tablets to get them down if they can't stand swallowing tablets... but from your user name, you don't mean this do you?

If you misuse drugs then you're breaking the law and taking risks with your child's wellbeing. Thats what I'd think.

Not sure what social services would say as you haven't given enough detail about your drug usage, and how you protect your children from your addiction? I do know they wouldn't exactly smile wryly and say 'aw never mind, bet you're a great mum really'.

(Btw If you're the nurse who steals the codiene then I'm very saddened you're back and haven't moved forwards. Excuse me if you're not that person & ignore me!).


alltouchedout · 19/07/2017 22:21

If they'd consumed a lot- and I don't know what constitutes a lot for codeine so would need to find out- I'd try and get them medical attention. I'd definitely try and get them to engage wth drug services in the aftermath. Are they an adult? Do they have children or other caring responsibilities? How much of their life is impacted by their drug use? All these things and more would affect what I would do longer term.


HPandBaconSandwiches · 19/07/2017 22:22

No you can't help a drug addict unless they want to help themselves.

What you can do is ensure that any children within that house are protected by calling SS. Tell your friend they need help and you'll be there to support them if they ever want to turn it around.

Then walk away.

Codeine is changed into morphine inside the body. Do not for a moment think it is anlesser drug than heroin. You just need more of it - hence the purée.

What a dreadful shame.


DancingLedge · 19/07/2017 22:24

Is this you, or someone else?
It's an opiate addiction, similar to a heroin addiction. There is help available, if the person wants it.


Ropsleybunny · 19/07/2017 22:24

Codeine is actually similar to heroin and is extremely addictive. Whoever is addicted needs help.


WellThisIsShit · 19/07/2017 22:25

Ah ok from your latest posts...

You can't force an addict to stop. But you can support them if they are prepared to start that process of quitting and dealing with the reason for the addiction. And you can stop any behaviours you do that enable the addict.

But basically, it's so hard watching someone live as an addict, I'm so sorry. Flowers

Can you get support for yourself? A group perhaps?


CodeineAddict22 · 19/07/2017 22:25

It's not me who is addicted .., they will not accept help in a month of Sundays.

OP posts:

DancingLedge · 19/07/2017 22:27

You could talk to the person. You could give them a leaflet from local drug and alcohol services.
You could find the local service online, or by asking a health professional.


stopfuckingshoutingatme · 19/07/2017 22:30

Try a support group for you

You can't help them but it's worth trying to help yourself OP Flowers

Do you know the name
Of the support groups and would you consider reading their website maybe ?


CodeineAddict22 · 19/07/2017 22:30

I would, as long as it's confidential.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?