Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Not dishing out all the food

52 replies

allgoodnamestaken · 14/07/2017 10:02

If DH makes dinner he'll always leave some in the pot, rather than dishing everything out. When I commented on it he said that everyone had enough to eat so there isn't a problem. My problem is that the leftovers are either thrown out, which is wasteful, or put in the fridge, not used, festers and then gets thrown out.
I know that I grew up with big dinners and his family had more modest portions.
Also, DS is constantly eating so I think that if DH gave him a bigger dinner then DS wouldn't be raiding the fruit basket half an hour after dinner. Surely it's better to dish everything up and then if people can't finish it they can throw it out? Or AIBU?

OP posts:
splendide · 14/07/2017 10:03

Can't DS have seconds if he's still hungry?

CryingMessFFS · 14/07/2017 10:04

Can't you just eat what's on your plate then if you or DS is hungry you can go for seconds? Rather than just throwing it out.

Sirzy · 14/07/2017 10:04

Sounds like you are cooking too much!

AnnoyedByAlfieBear · 14/07/2017 10:05

We dish up at the table and leave some in the pots so the kids can ask for more if they want it and they aren't faced with such a scary looking portion. We freeze what's left or have it for lunch the next day.

VladmirsPoutine · 14/07/2017 10:06

I think he's being reasonable. Just because there's more food in the pot doesn't mean it needs to be dished up that same evening.

If you're so concerned then make sure to use the left-overs in the fridge the following day and if your son is still hungry serve it up to him later in the evening or whatever.

It really doesn't have to be an either/or affair.

Ginger782 · 14/07/2017 10:07
Hmm
CoughLaughFart · 14/07/2017 10:07

My mother has this thing about leaving a couple of potatoes in the pan 'in case anyone wants more'. God knows what happens if we all want more Hmm

BabsGanoush · 14/07/2017 10:09

Its very hard to cook exactly the right amount, either there's too little or too much.

I never seem to do enough stir fry but it's everyone's favourite and everyone takes too much. Or I do too much mashed potato and always have some left because the kids aren't keen.

My DH will take leftovers for lunch if theres enough.

BeandQueue · 14/07/2017 10:09

If someone is still hungry why aren't they eating what is left in the pot? Surely that's what it's left for?

ConstanceCraving · 14/07/2017 10:12

Depends on how much you're making in the first place to whether he's being unreasonable to leave some in the pot.

HolidayTimeAgain · 14/07/2017 10:14

Nothing wrong with leaving some in the pot as long as everyone has enough to eat. Serving up large portions encourages overeating, far better to eat what you have and then have a bit more if you are still hungry.
Why are leftovers being thrown away? Wouldn't it be better to get into the habit of freezing a portion for another day rather than throwing away food?

FeckinCrutches · 14/07/2017 10:15

Why aren't people having seconds if they are still hungry?
I cannot bear a plate groaning with food, I'd rather have a smaller portion then go back for more.

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered · 14/07/2017 10:16

Nothing wrong with leaving stuff in the pan, but surely you'd offer it round to people once they clear their plate? A bit weird not to Confused

bridgetreilly · 14/07/2017 10:17

Why don't the leftovers get eaten? That's just weird.

peachgreen · 14/07/2017 10:17

Very sensible. DS should be allowed to go back for more if he's really still hungry. Freeze what's left or take it for lunch the next day.

bridgetreilly · 14/07/2017 10:17

Why don't the leftovers get eaten? That's just weird.

Branleuse · 14/07/2017 10:18

Either make less, or put it in the fridge/freezer and make sure you actually use up your leftovers.. don't encourage your family to have massive plates and overeat

Tofutti · 14/07/2017 10:19

Maybe have a big dish of food in the table so people can help themselves!

KatyBerry · 14/07/2017 10:21

he's entirely sensible and encouraging eating to hunger rather than quantity. However it's up to you to use the leftovers rather than leave them to fester. Or indeed, cook less. YOu're creating a problem out of thin air, and his attitude is the healthier in diet terms

EssentialHummus · 14/07/2017 10:27

The issue is the leftovers IMO - either encourage DS to grab more if he's routinely still hungry after supper, or one of you take them to work the next day, or bung them straight in the freezer to defrost when needed.

VimFuego101 · 14/07/2017 10:29

Eating food you don't want or need, just because it's there, is just as wasteful as throwing it away. I don't understand why you'd have an issue with your DH ensuring that your children eat till they're full and then stopping, rather than finishing their plate regardless.

MrsOverTheRoad · 14/07/2017 10:36

I always make enough to leave some in the pot. If someone's extra hungry then there's more...if not, then I put it in tupperware and freeze it.

DH or DD then eat it after a few days for lunch.

MrsOverTheRoad · 14/07/2017 10:37

Or perhaps your DS just needs a larger portion? If he's raiding the fruit basket quite soon after his meal, give him a larger meal.

Or is DH serving and you're not allowed to interfere? Shock

Allthewaves · 14/07/2017 10:37

Get him to make an extra plate up, then if dc is still hungry then whip out the second plate

HipsterHunter · 14/07/2017 10:42

Having seconds, a pot on the table, making up a second plate for DS to have later on, eating left overs for lunch the next day are all good alternatives to habitually binning the food.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.