Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to think people should learn to have some manners at festivals

26 replies

NKffffffffd826be10X12327b6cd81 · 10/07/2017 12:07

We were at a festival at the weekend and there were some lovely people around us,but also a few who were jumping on top of everyone and had to be told about 10 times they were annoying everyone and their response to everyone else was to chill out.
I know people are pissed and hot but 80% of people manage to keep a bit of personal space and dance while others really irritating. Don't start me on the people that appear 10 mins before the act and push in front when everyone else has been there 4 hours.....

OP posts:
MrsWire · 10/07/2017 12:09

Sounds like people are just having fun. I always push to the front as well.

MaryMcCarthy · 10/07/2017 12:23

Yeah if you're not comfortable with being jostled then move back a bit.

If you've just been watching a band on another stage then you might have no choice but to turn up 10 minutes before the next band. How about some empathy?

It's the people who sit and set up camp all day to get a 'good spot' who are often the biggest killjoys at festivals, I find. They have no more right to be there than anyone else.

HipsterHunter · 10/07/2017 12:25

I always push to the front as well.

"Hi, I'm a total dick"

MaryMcCarthy · 10/07/2017 12:38

I push to the front because I like the band playing and I'm not willing to stand in a field for hours, missing all the other bands I like, not even being able to urinate. That might be some peoples' idea of festival fun but it's not mine.

Mrsknackered · 10/07/2017 12:41

Chill out

HarrietKettleWasHere · 10/07/2017 12:47

If I want to go forward and get closer I try my best to wind my way in and do it nicely. If you just push and jostle your way through then you are a dickhead. If you hit a point where you can't get any further without some pushing then tough shit, you stay where you are!

And don't get me started on the people who spend the whole time on someone's shoulders right in front of you.

araiwa · 10/07/2017 12:52

I imagine op has set up a rug and picnic early morning near the stage to get a good place whilst everyoneelse was hungover and is now upset that the other ruffians have turned up and are not quietly sat down applauding politely

LeakyLittleBoat · 10/07/2017 12:54

Festivals maybe aren't for you, OP? If there's a gap people will get through it and to the front. It's kind of a secret among the savvier fans, they don't want everyone to know this because then everyone will want to do it, but actually, you and all the other people who waited for 4 hours? Yeah, you didn't need to do that because you could have done exactly the same thing as they did and arrived with ten minutes to go!
As for respecting personal space down near the front? Never going to happen. People are excited, carried away by the music, the atmosphere, adrenaline, booze, maybe the intro to one of the greatest hits sparks a sudden surge forward and what was a space suddenly becomes a crush. If you want personal space at a festival you head to the back of the field where there's loads of room to chill or go wild or whatever and you often get better sound back there too.

HarrietKettleWasHere · 10/07/2017 12:54

TBF I can't imagine sitting and waiting for four hours. I've never been able to do that and I've been to about 12 festivals. Unless I was severely dehydrated I'd be dying for a wee.

youhavetobekidding · 10/07/2017 12:57

YANBU OP. I'm surprised people don't see the unfairness of queuejumping

ThisisrealityGreg · 10/07/2017 13:00

YANBU about people jumping on people at gigs, generally. It really fucks me off, I always seem to get landed on and it hurts.

Jasharps · 10/07/2017 13:04

There is no such thing as queue jumping at a festival! That's crazy.

hazeydays14 · 10/07/2017 13:04

YABU about people arriving 10 minutes before the act. Why would people waste good money on a festival ticket to stand through 4 bands they don't like to see one that they do when there could be other things going on that they'd rather do.

Plus unless it's a small crowd, how do you know those people haven't just been to the loo and are trying to get back to their friends? it's madness to expect people to stay in the same position all day.

Such a waste of time and money to not explore what festivals have to offer away from the main stage, unless you love every act on there, then fair enough.

Violetcharlotte · 10/07/2017 13:11

I agree with you OP. However I think it's an age thing! As a teen and in my 20's it wouldn't have bothered me a jot.

However now I'm in my 40s I too find it rude and annoying when people barge past you and jump all over you. I don't mind people squeezing past to get nearer the front, but it's a bit much when they (usually large blokes!) shove past and nearly knock you over!

To add you the list of things that piss me off at festivals -
People smoking weed in the middle of a big crowd
Blokes pissing where they are stood as can't be arsed to go walk to the toilets
People who throw cups of piss

Think my festival days maybe be behind me!

KingPrawnOkay · 10/07/2017 13:12

YANBU. I won't go to festivals or standing gigs any more because I'm tired of getting trampled on. I don't mind a bit of jostling but people don't even acknowledge you're there and full on push you out the way. To those saying that people who've been sat there for hours have no more right to be there than them - the same applies for you. If you're late then tough shit, get to the back, everyone wants to be at the front so don't be so entitled to think you can push through.

KingPrawnOkay · 10/07/2017 13:13

Don't think it's an age thing for me either because I'm only 21 Blush

Gromance02 · 10/07/2017 13:20

And don't get me started on the people who spend the whole time on someone's shoulders right in front of you

yy to this. I wonder if they stand up in the cinema too.

How can you be so utterly selfish to completely block the view for people behind you?

missiondecision · 10/07/2017 13:20

I genuinely didn't know it was ok to push to the front at the last minute. So glad I know.

lobsterface · 10/07/2017 13:24

You sound like you were at a tame festival . I'm just along to moan about having pee thrown on me, crowd circles and three people insisting On mashing ๐Ÿ˜‚

lobsterface · 10/07/2017 13:24

Moshing!

K425 · 10/07/2017 13:33

The OP asked about people jumping on top of people, but commenters seem to be reading "pushing to the front". Am I missing something, or are they?

HarrietKettleWasHere · 10/07/2017 13:34

The kids mosh to indie bands now. There was a full on fight circle going on at Bloc Party ๐Ÿ™„

It really annoys me. I think they just think that's what you 'do' at a gig.

18 year olds moshing and starting fight circles....Rage Against the Machine, fine. Kings of Leon....just, no.

MouldyPeach · 10/07/2017 13:36

I lost the ability to tolerate this sort of behaviour past the age of about 18. Being very very intoxicated yourself does help to let it slide Wink

PutThatPomBearBack · 10/07/2017 13:39

Hipster Grin

Glumglowworm · 10/07/2017 14:08

It would annoy me too but then I don't go to festivals. I certainly wouldn't be at the front because I would expect to get pushed and shoved. I don't even like going to opening and closing ceremonies at Scout jamborees because it's so many people in a small space, the majority of them over excited young people screaming. At least at Jamborees there's no cups of piss or drunk people!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.