Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To keep someone else's cat?

165 replies

Cakeahoy · 09/07/2017 10:18

Or not. I don't know what to do honestly and I'm posting here for traffic.

For the last few weeks there has been a very skinny and timid cat darting into ours and the neighbours house, I'm assuming looking for food.

I didn't feed it, told the dc's that it most likely had an owner and cats are like that.

However I got increasingly concerned when I realised she appeared to be living in our outhouse, and she was getting thinner and more desperate to get in the house.

I asked around the neighbours I could get hold of but no one had any idea whose she was. I checked lost cats posters etc. and she matched none of those I could find in our town.

I went out to get some cat stuff/food and started to feed her.

She hasn't really left since. She's either sunning herself in the garden, rubbing herself around the dc's legs and lying on her back in the living room for her tummy to be tickled. Honestly, she's more like a dog than a cat Grin

We appeared to have adopted an adorable cat without even really meaning to. So yesterday we bought some cat litter/tray and cat bed, toys, scratching post etc. Even talked about getting a new door so we could have a cat flap added.

Then a young boy from the estate told dd yesterday dinner time that he knew the daughter of a couple who are two doors down. He said they had had a skinny black female rescue cat from the RSPCA a couple of months ago.

Now I don't know this couple very well at all. They have been there for a few years but our only interaction has been the wife screaming at my dm to move her fucking car because her moving van couldn't park directly front of her house. And the smell of some strong weed that the dad is very fond of constantly blowing over.

They have a dog that's has never been out for a walk in the four years they've been there that I know of (disabled so I'm here all the time) and sits in their front window barking all day.

They have about twenty (not an exaggeration) chickens in the garden in a pen. It's not a large garden.

So true enough, I'm not predisposed to being fond of them, but I hated the idea of a young girl missing her cat so went round with a picture of Kitty Softpaws according to Puss in aboots mad dd our stolen cat.

I haven't had any answer, though I can see they are in. I tried looking at the back of their house last night to see if there were any lights on but there weren't when I looked.

I'm going to have to return her aren't I? If I take her to the vets she'll probably be microtagged and they can call them.

I don't want to though. I keep thinking about how she seemed to be getting skinnier and more desperate and how content (and less skinny) she looks now.

OP posts:
Cakeahoy · 12/07/2017 21:55

About half an hour after I last posted I said 'Sod it'.

I've left the door open so she can come and go as she pleases, put all her stuff back down and fed her.

I figure they know where she is now, and if I hear them calling her I'll be amazed I'll take her back around.

She's been in my outhouse again since last night and I haven't heard a peep from the neighbours, no sign of CakeCat leaving the property at all either.

So she's sat on my lap now purring away, splayed out on her back. I guess that means she's comfy. Grin

OP posts:
GardenGeek · 12/07/2017 22:08

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GardenGeek · 12/07/2017 22:11

TamzinGrey · 12/07/2017 22:20

Good on you Cakeahoy.This is exactly what we did when our old girl decided to move in with us. They knew where she was, and never once came round to ask for her. It was such a relief when we finally made the decision to stop taking her back to her original home. Not long after that they said that we could keep her. Good luck Smile

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen · 13/07/2017 00:06

You know the rules- photo!Wink

LeakyLittleBoat · 13/07/2017 00:22

Oh that's wonderful, OP. I've been worried sick for that poor cat. So pleased for you and, of course, for CakeCat. No reason you can't take her to a vet for worming, flea treatment and vaccines - as long as you're paying the bills they have no reason to ask any questions and in the unlikely event they do, you're just doing a favour for the owner aren't you?

BeepBeepMOVE · 13/07/2017 01:08

Keep her.

Happy cats don't move out, they might go begging but they go home after. The house sounds very unfriendly for a cat.

The health and well being of an animal should be above upsetting an 11yo who has a bunch of other animals to play with already.

You can get frontal and frontline without prescription. Even if you go to a vet they won't ask for any proof of ownership or check the microchip- tons have out of date details anyways.

Pengggwn · 13/07/2017 06:02

madcapcat · 13/07/2017 06:26

I'd give it a week or two and if there's no sign of them and cat is still with you go and see them, tell them she's moved in as cats do and ask them if you can repay them the adoption fee to regularise the situation and tell them the daughter is welcome to visit for cuddles. I'd check with rspca what their fee actually is first though.

Soubriquet · 13/07/2017 08:34

My cat moved outside when I got a dog.

She refused to come in. But she hasn't gone anywhere.

I set up a nice place outside for her, she gets regular food, fuss and treatment when needed.

If cakecat was genuinely being looked after, she wouldn't stray.

My cat is slowly coming round to the dog and has actually come in the house a couple of times.

SillyMoomin · 13/07/2017 08:39

I'm not usually a fan of people "stealing" others cats.. but good for you op, sounds like this little moppet needs tlc

KaosReigns · 13/07/2017 09:26

Keep the cat. Sadly one of my cats decided he did not want to live with a baby and moved in next door, we have spoken to them and they are happy to have him. We miss him but cats pick their owners and he is happier there (although he still comes to say hello if he sees me outside on my own). You own dogs, cats are just flatmates who don't pay bills.

Floralnomad · 13/07/2017 14:09

pengggwn , at least read the OPs posts , the cat has been at the vets , it belongs to the neighbours , she took it back , it's come straight back to her and doesn't leave .

Pengggwn · 13/07/2017 18:09

MyWhatICallNameChange · 13/07/2017 18:15

My cat rehomed himself. I don't know why - we still have his brother who is perfectly happy. But the new home doesn't have children so maybe that's why?

According to the people he went to he went through their cat flap, ate their cats food, played with their cat and slept there like he owned the place.

We tried keeping him in for ages and then letting him out but after 18 months of getting him, keeping him in, letting him out, him disappearing, us catching him and again and again we decided he'd chosen where to live and sadly it wasn't with us.

We still see him occasionally and he looks fit and healthy and happy but he won't come near us.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.