Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU/WWYD re school holiday fines?

51 replies

Flumpernickel · 07/07/2017 12:53

I suppose this is more of a WWYD, but the traffic is good here. Just a quick survey of your thoughts and opinions?

When my DD was in yr 6 and my DS was pre reception, we took a wonderful family holiday to florida, My DD missed the last 4 days of primary school before finishing forever (pre year 7). This was before school fines!

Roll forward 7 years exactly (2018), My DD will be 18 and just finished yr 13 and my ds will be 11 just finishing yr 6, we want to do the same again, (my DS cannot remember the previous holiday at all Sad) DS finishes school for good on fri 20th july 2018. I have checked the prices for that week, If we go on the tuesday (16th) it will be £700-800 cheaper!!!

Now, Apart from the previous holiday 7 years ago as mentioned, we have NEVER taken the kids out of school for a holiday, and I am very conscious that this will likely be our last proper family holiday together before my DD goes off to uni in the september and potentially starts a whole new life. DS attendance has always been very good.

£700-£800 is a huge saving and would go towards a hire car and park tickets and as this holiday is already uber expensive, I would obviously like to avoid paying more than needed!

I guess what I am asking is, AIBU to take DS out for his very last 4 days before going up to secondary? would you do it and If any of you have experience with fines, what is likely to happen If we do?

OP posts:
littleducks · 07/07/2017 13:33

I would ask well in advance and if declined then remove ds from the role before the holiday.

No possibility of fines and no problem with unauthorised absence figures for school

Love51 · 07/07/2017 13:33

Check with the deregistering that you won't be forfeiting his place at secondary. Just ring admissions and take advice. Rather pay the fine than lose his secondary place!

Flumpernickel · 07/07/2017 13:33

It is isnt it one?

We stayed in the Hyatt regency grand cypress last time, which is where we want to stay again, it was fabulous, the pool is like a water park all on its own! Last time we only had 10 days, and the price was about £5k for flights and hotels, so I was pleasantly surprised with the added days and 7 years having passed that it would only be an extra £1k this time.

The virgin service from the minute we got on the plane was fab.

OP posts:
Flumpernickel · 07/07/2017 13:34

Induction days here are usually june, so I think we are (fingers crossed) good on that front Moo.

OP posts:
user1489675144 · 07/07/2017 13:34

The last few days of school are a mixture of films, games, activities etc... go and enjoy

Flumpernickel · 07/07/2017 13:35

Thanks love good advice there.

OP posts:
Headofthehive55 · 07/07/2017 13:36

I agree with deregistering.
That's what we will do end year 6

ItsGone · 07/07/2017 13:42

I'm afraid to say I wouldn't do it but I'd be bloody annoyed with myself. 😂

We never took the kids out of school for holiday even back when there were no fines, even when everyone else and their dog did and even when we knew they were doing abosolutely NOTHING of any use or interest at school.

The only exception was when I used to take the kids on a 'ski day' each year. I took them one at a time and got written permission from the school. It was overseas so we didn't have to worry about attendance figures. I don't know why I saw that as different as booking a holiday as it amounts to the same thing. 🤔

chocolateworshipper · 07/07/2017 13:45

Do it. That time of year in Y6 is pretty much baby-sitting - no learning going on

Flumpernickel · 07/07/2017 13:45

Haha, Grin this is the trouble itsgone, I'm very much like you normally, but it seems so daft for the sake of £800 more!

I just need to grow a pair and book it! Grin

OP posts:
Flumpernickel · 07/07/2017 13:46

Oh you lovely lot, what a helpful set of posts from all! Smile

OP posts:
dazedandconfused12 · 07/07/2017 13:48

Go!!

Figaro2017 · 07/07/2017 13:52

It would be neglectful NOT to go. After all your daughter will be worried about moving to uni and you son worried about going to secondary so a decent holiday will help to ease those anxieties.

There you go. You can justify anything if you try! Grin

neveradullmoment99 · 07/07/2017 13:53

You wont be fined if you are in Scotland :)

Flumpernickel · 07/07/2017 13:53

Grin some quite excellent points there figaro!!

OP posts:
requestingsunshine · 07/07/2017 13:54

Yes just do it. What is your ds going to actually miss in the last 4 days of primary! If the school mention fines, just deregister for those days. not like hes going to be going back!

neveradullmoment99 · 07/07/2017 13:54

This whole thing with holiday companies really annoys me. Why cant they just make prices fairer. Its really rubbish.

MyCalmX · 07/07/2017 13:55

We are taking dd1 y2 out for 10 days at Christmas to go home to Australia. I've been looking into fines and it looks like it's only £60 no matter how long the absence if you pay up straight away for my LEA.

monkeysox · 07/07/2017 13:58

Well primary to secondary transition is the last 3 weeks of term here!

I'd still go Smile

AnnPerkins · 07/07/2017 14:07

I wouldn't have thought you'd be fined for 4 days. My DS's school doesn't fine until they've missed 5 days in a 12-week period. Don't they have the attendance policy on their website?

Apparently DS's class has finished the curriculum for this year. Their teacher can choose to teach whatever she likes now. Yesterday they spent the entire day rehearsing for next week's show. I would take DS out for the last 4 days without hesitation if it saved that much money.

Mulledwine1 · 07/07/2017 14:08

Does your DS want to go on the holiday or stay in school - they do tend to do things for the leavers in that week

Just reiterating this. It might be a shame to miss that.

But you don't get fined for 4 days.

Mulledwine1 · 07/07/2017 14:08

This whole thing with holiday companies really annoys me. Why cant they just make prices fairer. Its really rubbish

They don't put prices up in the holidays, they put them down outside the holidays.

Allegedly.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

purplegreen99 · 07/07/2017 14:15

I don't think it matters in terms of school work - mine just did fun things after Y6 Sats, and it sounds a lovely thing to do. Only concern would be if your dc would feel she was missing out on finishing primary, saying goodbye to friends and teachers, shirt signing, etc - lots of schools do lovely farewell events for both parents and children in that last week.

I think one of my children would have minded terribly if he'd missed all this, the other left both her schools with barely a backward glance and would probably not have cared at all at missing all of the end of year things, so maybe it depends on the personality of your child.

Hoppinggreen · 07/07/2017 14:26

I personally wouldn't care about the fine but I remember,ember my DD's last few days at Primary and I wouinr have wanted her to miss them, she had a great time
However if your son doesn't mind then go

TheNoodlesIncident · 07/07/2017 14:58

In your circumstances I would. Otherwise I am very law abiding and would feel terrible about it, but not with things as you say.

Hope you have a great time you'll still be able to mumsnet

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.