My feed

to access all these features


To be angry work won't pay me?

65 replies

Icklepickle101 · 04/07/2017 09:02

I work part time in a small company 15> people from 1st June I started working 10 more hours per week and had 25% pay rise. Work were aware because of their request for more hours, I needed to put DS in nursery which was going to cost £450 a month. Payday came and I got paid the same as the month before, leaving me approx £600 short.

I raised it with the accountant who said MD hadn't told him to adjust it and he couldn't add it until next payday as the payroll deadline had passed. I checked yesterday and MD still hadn't confirmed new salary so will chase him later today.

Where do I stand with the missing money? I really need it to as I have £10 in my bank due to paying the nursery fees. I tho guy perhaps I could raise an invoice for the extra hours and get them to pay it like that (I'll sort out the tax as do some self employed work anyway) or is it easy for them to do an adjustment and just being difficult about it?

OP posts:
SpongySand · 04/07/2017 09:05

I'd just make sure its sorted and wait til next payday, probably use my interest free overdraft in the mean time. Its annoying but just one of those things but thats just my view.

Bringmewineandcake · 04/07/2017 09:06

They can do an emergency payment, they're just being awkward because it is difficult for them. Stand your ground and raise it with whoever necessary.

Icklepickle101 · 04/07/2017 09:06

I don't have an overdraft, are they easy enough to get? My credit isn't amazing but not terrible either..

OP posts:
soupey1 · 04/07/2017 09:07

They should be able to issue you a cheque for the approximate amount and then this is deducted from the next salary so that tax and NI are correct. We have done this in the past when things have gone wrong.

MarcelineTheVampire · 04/07/2017 09:08

They can make a CHAPS payment but will try and get out of it as it costs them to do it. £600 is a lot of money to miss out on so make sure you don't back down.

ThomasRichard · 04/07/2017 09:08

It's a small company so get your MD and the accountant in a room. Present the situation that you haven't been paid properly for x months and are owed £x. You understand that the MD needs to sign off on something. Turn to accountant: what information does MD need to sign? Turn to MD: I will email that to you this morning. Turn to accountant: what time do you need that by to make a 1-day transfer? Turn to MD: any problem with signing it off before then? Lovely, thanks both.

The end.

Glumglowworm · 04/07/2017 09:09

Ask them to make an emergency payment. I did earlier in the year when (through no fault of mine) I only got paid half my salary. They tried to fob me off with "two weeks" I said no I need this money now to pay my rent and bills will all come out the day after payday! They did it the same day. It messed up my deductions the following month when the fix went through payroll but you sound like you can sort that yourself

If it's their mistake you shouldn't be out of pocket

Icklepickle101 · 04/07/2017 09:16

Thanks for clarifying it definitely is possible. Hopefully they will both be in the office when I start at 12 so I can ask them both and sort it straight away. I feel very uncomfortable discussing money but need to put my big girl pants on!

OP posts:
ThomasRichard · 04/07/2017 09:23

Yes, put the big girl pants on! It's not personal, you're not insulting them by ensuring that they're paying you properly, it just needs doing.

Autofillcontact · 04/07/2017 09:23

I think it's horrendous they expect you to go without £600. Some people just can't be bothered to do the work

Ladyformation · 04/07/2017 09:26

Agree, use the tactic that Thomas has outlined.

Think of it this way: you should feel no more uncomfortable asking them for the money you're owed than they do asking you to work whilst they owe you money.

To be fair, I run a small business and I'd be mortified if this happened and want to rectify it ASAP.

SeriousSocks · 04/07/2017 09:27

Don't ask if they can pay you earlier than next payroll. Tell them you all need to agree how to make payment happen this week. This is entirely possible and don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise. Yes it's a faff for them but it's their error. They can pay you in any number of ways so long as your payslips in the end reflect the correct situation so don't be fobbed off.

The nursery fees thing is a red herring. Don't focus on this at the beginning. You should have been paid X on Y date and haven't. You need to be paid an estimated net amount this week. If they start refusing then bring up that it cost you X in nursery fees that you've had to pay up front and you have no option but to have the money cleared in your bank this week.

WankYouForTheMusic · 04/07/2017 09:33

Of course it's possible. They can do it, they just don't want to. Insist on timely payment of money owed to you.

Pandsbear · 04/07/2017 09:36

It is definitely possible for them to pay you this week. This is such a PITA for you but I know it happens many times (did to my DH - he was paid only £300 one month as his entire f/t salary because of a tax code error - which was stressful) especially when it is a change of hours...don't feel uncomfortable about discussing money - they asked you to work more hours and they have made the mistake not you.

user1493630944 · 04/07/2017 09:50

Ask for a cash advance now, this is normal practice in many large workplaces so should be easy enough for HR/payroll to arrange.

luckylucky24 · 04/07/2017 09:53

Definitely get this sorted ASAP. I had to wait next payday once and then got stung on tax because I was paid so much that month.

kaitlinktm · 04/07/2017 09:55

The nursery fees thing is a red herring. Don't focus on this at the beginning

I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't even considered this though. They might be just thinking that you are miffed because you want your "extra" money for treats! Sorry - but some people can be very thoughtless about childcare - they might even think that granny is looking after them for free. If they are difficult they need to know that it has COST you money in order to do extra hours.

MatildaTheCat · 04/07/2017 10:04

My SIL does the salaries for a medium sized company and gives advances all the time so paying money owed is absolutely possible. Simply state that you need the money and cannot wait. They aould do it immediately.

Do arrange an overdraft though. The best of us can go overdrawn ocassionally and it's a real pain in the tonsils to be charged when it's not necessary. You can do it online with my bank.

Icklepickle101 · 04/07/2017 10:04

They are very aware I had to pay nursery due to their request as my mum had him before but couldn't commit to the hours they wanted me to do, hence agreeing to raise my salary as I would of been worse off working more hours otherwise. I have just had a little cry but big girl pants on, will update later!

Thanks everyone

OP posts:
superfluffyanimal · 04/07/2017 10:15

As others have said say that you need the money before payday, say you will accept a cheque etc

Are you company in a Childcare voucher scheme? if not you could take this opportunity to also raise that, my friend recently set it for her company and its easy.

user1495451339 · 04/07/2017 10:15

I sometimes have an issue as I invoice my company each month for each project I work on and occasionally an invoice doesn't get paid leaving me up to £900 short. I always tell them and they do an emergency payment (which is never quite as much but then you get the rest back the next month).

Good luck. They should have sorted this out straight away and it is very bad practice not to. You will end up getting over taxed too, even though you will get it back eventually.

GrandDesespoir · 04/07/2017 10:16

I have just had a little cry...

I don't think it's really worth crying over. Fair enough to be annoyed, though. Just treat the matter as part of your job - a task to accomplish during the working day - and not as something personal.

CotswoldStrife · 04/07/2017 10:22

Request an urgent payment, and for the company to meet any bank fees you incur due to their error (especially if you don't normally go overdrawn!). It can be done.

kaitlinktm · 04/07/2017 10:23

They are very aware I had to pay nursery due to their request

That's shocking - do they think the nursery will wait until next pay day to be paid - or do they think you can just all not eat in the meantime? Are you sure the accountant knows about this? If he does he must be very callous.

Creampastry · 04/07/2017 10:49

Get them to do a BACS payment - instant!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.