My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

First time cleaner has done a crap job !

30 replies

snackarella · 28/06/2017 17:55

Middle class problems I know but we had a cleaner in today for he first time to do a deep clean and then come back every week for 2 hours once that was done.
I've come back today and the to stand and coffee tables haven't been dusted or wiped, the shower screen and shower base haven't been cleaned. We have a 3 bed house with 1 bed downstairs which I don't think she even touched! AIBU to think this isn't very good? I've never had anyone do it before but surely main surfaces should be wiped down at least? She spent 4 hours here

OP posts:
StormTreader · 28/06/2017 17:57

That isnt a deep clean, it isnt even a clean!

JustDanceAddict · 28/06/2017 17:57

Course it's not good. Assume it's a trial, so just contact her to say 'thanks but no thanks'.

PeachPearPotato · 28/06/2017 17:58

Four hours isn't looking long.

5BlueHydrangea · 28/06/2017 17:58

4 hours is long enough! Were your instructions really detailed? Ie lots of work?? If not - say goodbye....

MrsPorth · 28/06/2017 18:00

A deep clean should have left it looking pristine.

Cut your losses and find a proper cleaner.

snackarella · 28/06/2017 18:04

I wouldn't call this a proper clean of the taps either! I'm no clean freak but I'm not happy!

OP posts:
snackarella · 28/06/2017 18:05

This is the en suite shower!

OP posts:
SheSaidHeSaid · 28/06/2017 18:09

Have they even been at all?

I have a 4 bed house (2 bathrooms, 1 shower room and a downstairs loo), a cleaner for 2 hours a week and the place is spotless. I just can't fathom why it's been left like that after apparently being there for 4 hours (assuming your house wasn't a pigsty to begin with).

luckylucky24 · 28/06/2017 18:10

We had a similar issue recently. Gave her a second chance and left a list to specify what we wanted doing. I specifically said "leave the kitchen" The kitchen was the only room she did! She even put the dishwasher on half full [anger]. Asked her not to come back.

snackarella · 28/06/2017 18:14

I know! I hate confrontation and don't really want to tell her it was shit but I suppose I have to

OP posts:
Tigerlovingall · 28/06/2017 18:15

Agree, that's not even a clean, let alone a deep clean...
Phone her, tell her she's not suited to you, and find another.
How did you find her? A friend has a contract with an agency. For 4hrs work they'd send in two cleaners for 2 hours (and any complaints/comments you'd contact the company). Way to go, I reckon.

Swissgemma · 28/06/2017 18:15

I had had cleaner rage today. We have repeatedly asked the cleaner not to get involved in laundry (don't want to pay for stuff I am happy doing and don't want her wibbling around with my smalls). Reminded her last week when she washed all my kitchen cloths and oven gloves leaving them on the airer and too damp to use. Came home to folded towels from the dryer, cloths on airer and a table cloth washed. I got the rage.

paxillin · 28/06/2017 18:16

Two bedrooms, kitchen, two bathrooms, sitting room and third loo plus hall and stairs are pristine after three hours and she manages some ironing, too. Changes sheets and towels and puts on the wash. I have no idea how she does it, but after several years my first thought is still "wow" when I walk in after she's been. Cancel the next appointment and get another cleaner.

memyselfandisolodjsjajaj · 28/06/2017 18:50

Oh wow. How deep... give her another chance perhaps with a list of things to do and see how it goes. If not... sorry.

Mollieben · 28/06/2017 18:51

I had a cleaner for a little while but she was the same, i was cleaning after she'd gone home! It took a while for me to luck up the courage to let her go (she is an ex work colleague) but it was a waste of my money in the end. If i cleaned for 4 hours, my house would be spotless!

snackarella · 28/06/2017 19:29

When I think about what I can do when I want to it makes me really cross! My mum did my kitchen for me one day a few months back and she did a better job!

OP posts:
SheSaidHeSaid · 28/06/2017 19:29

I genuinely would want to know what the cleaner is doing for those 4 hours. I actually can't work it out.

DropZoneOne · 28/06/2017 19:37

We had 6 hours for a deep clean in our 3 bed house. You certainly knew they'd been! Books off shelves, wiped down and put vs. Beds pulled out and hoovered behind. Everything moved off kitchen counter.

I'd ask fairly innocently how she got on and see what she says. Maybe she started a thorough clean in one or two rooms, realised she didn't have enough time to complete the job so did a half hearted clean elsewhere.

However, my first cleaner failed to do the bathroom at all on her first visit as she ran out if time. This was 2 hours and she didn't have to do the middle room as we were redecorating it and it was full of junk. She didn't get much better and I let her go after three months. Those early weeks should have rung bloody great alarm bells.

snackarella · 28/06/2017 19:45

I feel like she has done less than I would expect from
A 2 hour weekly clean so I can't work it out either! Glad it's not me expecting too much 😂
But also pissed off ive wasted £50 on what we would have done ourselves - I wanted to long winded shit bits doing - like the shower screen and inside windows etc!
Oh well...I'm gonna post my msg to her in a sec to see what you all think!

OP posts:
snackarella · 28/06/2017 19:50

Hiya,

Thanks for coming today.
There a quite a few bits I would've expected to be done as part of a deep clean that seem to have been missed - I don't know if you ran out of time today.
I'm happy with the things that got done, just wondered if the 4 hours wasn't enough for the deep clean? Like the shower in the en suite for example and in the lounge the tv unit, desk under stairs and side tables weren't wiped or dusted for example.

I'm just conscious that if everything doesn't get done once properly it will mean that the 2 hours a week isn't enough just to keep on top of it all.

Anyway I'll get Husband to send the money over asap and let me know your thoughts

Kind regards

OP posts:
paxillin · 28/06/2017 19:54

But this gives her the opportunity to say no, it wasn't enough time. Try and make a little clearer you consider it a failure and expected more.

DurhamDurham · 28/06/2017 20:00

I wouldn't send that message as she will come back and claim she ran out of time. You can get loads of cleaning done in four hours, I'd say thanks for coming but we won't need you back again.

Chloe1984 · 28/06/2017 20:01

Just say your circumstances have changed (say you're going to be working less hours Egypt example), easy and no offense caused.

Bluntness100 · 28/06/2017 20:04

Hmmm, no you're giving her the answer.

Try this.

Hiya,

Thanks for coming today.
There a quite a few bits I would've expected to be done as part of a deep clean that seem to have been missed.

I'm happy with the things that got done but as this was a deep clean, I expected things like the shower in the en suite, or even in the lounge the tv unit, or the desk under stairs and side tables to be wiped or dusted.

Anyway We will send the money over asap and if you have any comments just let me know.

Kind regards

I would add though op. How dirty was it? It might not have been enough time if it was ehrm quite messy and dirty.

fuckwitery · 28/06/2017 20:04

Why would you text!!! Call her. And don't give her all those ours in your text or she'll have you as a walkover.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.