Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

I want the ground to open up.

38 replies

BlondeGinger · 23/06/2017 13:31

I have to share with something that's just happened. I'm so embarrassed. A woman that works in another team just came and sat next to me and we were talking about a piece of work and then she mentioned that my fan was on so I said something about being too hot and she goes "yeah, pregnancy does that to you"

I am not pregnant. I have been trying to get pregnant now for years. And it's around the anniversary of the only time I was pregnant, which ended in mc.

I wanted the ground to open up. I have a little bit of chub but nothing remotely close to looking pregnant!

I had no idea what to say. So I just sort of said "oh who's pregnant then?" She started stumbling all her words and said "oh I'm not pregnant" so I said "no I'm not either." And then she just sat there!!! And she didn't say anything and also didn't go back to her desk! So I got up and started pretending to file some papers until she left.

Am I overreacting in being completely mortified? I'm really pissed off that anyone would do something like that without knowing for a fact first.

OP posts:
pipsqueak25 · 23/06/2017 13:33

very clumsy on her part but at least she came out of it looking silly, blonde 1 - rude moo 0.

TheStoic · 23/06/2017 13:35

Oh god.

Console yourself with the thought that she almost certainly feels worse than you do right now.

She's probably just about to start her own thread.

MoonfaceAndSilky · 23/06/2017 13:37

Shock Sooo rude, I'd be mortified too. But try not to dwell on it.
Or maybe she's got you muddled up with someone else?

BlondeGinger · 23/06/2017 13:41

That's true Stoic. I'll be keeping my eye out for an "I just put my foot in it" thread!!

I did think that Moonface as she looked so confused! I'm cringing every time it pops into my head.

OP posts:
ChocolateButton15 · 23/06/2017 13:44

I've had this before when i wasn't pregnant so I feel your pain! I imagine she's feeling very embarrassed

NavyandWhite · 23/06/2017 13:46

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MyPatronusIsAUnicorn · 23/06/2017 13:47

I also wondered if she got you mixed up with someone else, but then why wouldn't she say?

BlondeGinger · 23/06/2017 13:50

Chocolate it's awful isn't it!!

Thanks Navy- maybe less of the Cake for me for a bit though!!

Exactly Unicorn (love your name!) I'd have thought she'd have said something like oh sorry I've got you mixed up with so and so!

OP posts:
Groupie123 · 23/06/2017 13:58

It actually seems like she was more embarrassed than you. That is a a clanger.

Floggingmolly · 23/06/2017 14:04

She was probably just so embarrassed she froze. It doesn't sound at all malicious.
Are you ok, op? Flowers. Not nice for you to hear, even by mistake.

pigeondujour · 23/06/2017 14:06

Can't believe she said "no, I'm not either". She will be waking up in cold sweats for a week! I'm sure you look totally fine, OPFlowers

Fightthebear · 23/06/2017 14:08

Flowers someone offered me a seat on the tube a few months after I'd miscarried. I didn't know whether the embarrassment or sadness was worse.

BlondeGinger · 23/06/2017 14:09

I'm ok now I've thought about it and got over the initial cringe. She just couldn't have picked a worse time to have reminded me that I'm still not pregnant.
I've had a good rant to my sister and she's text me back some lovely and funny things and I sort of feel a bit embarrassed for my colleague now too. I was just really shocked!

OP posts:
BlondeGinger · 23/06/2017 14:10

Oh you're all so nice, thank you!

OP posts:
Thekissbyklimt13 · 23/06/2017 14:11

I hate that. One of my previous colleagues got me mixed up with someone else who was actually pregnant, looked me up and down and said "Oh, you are starting to show now!" I'm of the form belief that unless someone is crowning, do not ask or suggest that they are pregnant Grin

Gemini69 · 23/06/2017 14:12

Oh no.. I feel bad for Her and You.. how awkward... that's a shame.. she's quite possibly heard you were trying etc got crossed wires bla bla bla..

try forget about it and have a good weekend Flowers

jollyjester · 23/06/2017 14:13

Poor you OP. She is bound to feel worse though.

It happened me once. We'd been trying for over a year and a woman I see every week at church asked. It was just after Christmas so I did a nervous "haha no I'm just fat" but was bloody annoyed for ages after.

Flowers for you

WeAllHaveWings · 23/06/2017 14:16

I have never assumed anyone is pregnant after, as a very young woman, I witnessed the agonising awkwardness between two colleagues when one incorrectly guessed and they had a long very stilted conversation on how their work uniforms weren't fitted/didn't sit right.

They should teach this stuff at school!

Arborea · 23/06/2017 14:18

Something similar happened to me OP. I cringe when I think about it, and binned the dress I was wearing at the time. However 4 years later I am still in touch with the person who said it because I don't think she was being deliberately horrible. I also now have 2 DCs Grin.

I hope you get your sticky BFP really soon.

IloveBanff · 23/06/2017 14:18

pigeondujour It was the OP who said "No I'm not either"

SheSaidHeSaid · 23/06/2017 14:21

I had a similar thing happen to me a couple of years ago. I went back to my desk and had a little cry because it made me feel rubbish too. Worst part was that I had started slimming world a couple of weeks prior to that and had actually lost half a stone (I went on to lose 2 stone and keep it off too in the end).

AceholeRimmer · 23/06/2017 14:24

Mortifying! For her, not you. Why do some people assume, it's so risky! I hope you get your wish soon though OP Smile
If it makes you laugh, my swallow-me-up moment was when I pooed on my bedroom floor aged 18 after drinking too much southern comfort. I remember my parents helping me to bed.. Confused I woke up next to several piles. it was never commented on but we knew each other knew.. (still can't bear to touch the stuff) Grin

littlebird7 · 23/06/2017 14:29

She will be mortified, worse than mortified, the fact she didn't even apologise for the mix up confirms the fact she was just horrified at herself and could not think of a single thing to say to you.

I personally would put her out of her misery with a joke, otherwise who knows how long it will take for her to come back from this.

It must have been very painful for you, and hoping soon you will have some joyful news to share with your office.

BlondeGinger · 23/06/2017 14:36

Oh Acehole that has really cheered me up you poor thing! Grin

Thank you for your kind thoughts everyone. I feel bad for her now too. She's left for the day and won't be back in until next week so I think maybe I'll be very normal with her next time I see her so she knows there's no hard feelings.

OP posts:
Hassled · 23/06/2017 14:37

It happened to me, too, at a toddler group and I nearly wept. This is why I don't congratulate anyone on their pregnancy (unless they've actually told me they're pregnant) until they're pretty much in labour.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.