My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to delay an operation for work and social reasons

14 replies

PookieDo · 23/06/2017 09:12

I'm having an ablation and sterilisation in a few weeks. It is not an essential op but it was offered to me on the NHS. I have fibroids. I'm actually now managing my periods great with medication. I don't react well to anaesthesia.

My employer is having a really shit time with staffing and I know me taking 2 weeks out at the moment is going to be a nightmare. It is a temporary issue that will be better later in the year.

The week before my op I am due in uni in a city for a whole week.

I also have a holiday booked and paid for only 2 weeks after the op for which I have to do a lot of driving and walking.

Added to this I am a single mum and I don't have a lot of help.

I would be off work for a whole month really - week in uni, 2 weeks op and one week holiday.

I am considering asking them to defer this operation as it is terrible timing and I regret thinking I could do it all. But I feel like the NHS is not there to suit around my social problems

So more a WWYD?

OP posts:
Report
pipsqueak25 · 23/06/2017 09:21

you could ask what the approx waiting time would be for a revised date then make decision from that.
could you get cover at work, how do they manage when you are away normally?

Report
BigGreenOlives · 23/06/2017 09:23

Have you been advised you need to take 2 weeks off? I was sterilised & had the day of the op & then one day off. My role was not physical however, I did not resume my normal exercise routine for a month, as advised.

Report
PookieDo · 23/06/2017 09:27

I rang the admissions nurse and she said 2 weeks. I think this is because of stitches?
I agreed with work I could work from home the 2nd week and not have to drive to the office
I think it's the fact it's a bad time, no cover, staffing is a mess and it's sandwiched between other commitments too!

OP posts:
Report
BigGreenOlives · 23/06/2017 09:30

I've just read up & seen that people can have very different outcomes. It seems as if there is a risk your holiday might be spoiled, I'd delay as you can only have this holiday with your children once & will be able to have the op at another stage.

Report
Frazzled2207 · 23/06/2017 09:35

I don't think you WBU to ask to defer given your circumstances.
Presumably someone will get their operation sooner if this happens which is obviously good.
Hopefully the hospital will be understanding.

Report
Davros · 23/06/2017 09:36

Delay. I've always discussed best timing for ops according to school holidays, other commitments or whether something must be done asap and I'm talking NHS

Report
RB68 · 23/06/2017 09:49

No harm in changing with notice. I think you have listed a whole range of things that are reasonable. I know there is the attitude of drop everything for NHS appts but in this case you have other responsibilities and I would ask them if they can move it

Report
MatildaTheCat · 23/06/2017 09:56

No problem whatsoever. Not turning up on the day or a very last cancellation is U. Just call and ask to be deferred until at least X month. That doesn't mean you will get it but they won't be in the least worried by this.

You sound a great employee and planner.

Report
MatildaTheCat · 23/06/2017 09:58

Oh, and can you ask for a spinal if GA isn't good for you? Having said that I though I reacted badly but last couple were absolutely fine. If you haven't had one recently you may be pleasantly surprised. Anyway,you can ask.

Report
PookieDo · 23/06/2017 10:19

Thanks all, good to have opinions. I hate wasting resources but hopefully someone else can have the slot on my behalf.

I am thinking a delay would also afford me to lose more weight because I do worry about the risk of anaesthetic, also it would help me recover quicker to be healthier my BMI is 30 and I am trying to get that down too!

OP posts:
Report
ChristmasFluff · 23/06/2017 18:56

If it's any consolation, I was having horrific periods (20 minutes max change of mooncup whilst using a pad - and believe me, the mooncup was a lifesaver compared to a tampon) and was offered the op (couldn't have the meds cos of asthma. And didn't go for either. Depending how old you are, and your situation, might be worth leaving it. I was seriously thinking of an op at 42 (probs since 38), by 45ish my periods had dwindled so I was glad I'd left it be.

Report
TwoBlueFish · 23/06/2017 19:00

I deferred my hysterectomy, was originally going to be scheduled for the start of the summer holidays but there's no way I would have been able to manage with the kids off school. As long as you let them know as soon as you can then you should be fine.

Report
SlB09 · 23/06/2017 19:02

Not U as long as its enough notice for someone else to benefit from that slot and you fit in when theres next space x

Report
Sweetnessishere · 23/06/2017 19:26

I chose to have my hysterectomy at the beginning of September so I could enjoy the 6 weeks of the Summer Holidays and then be incapacitated whilst everyone went back to school, it is important to be in the correct frame of mind for an op too so YANBU.

Report
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.