My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think tomorrow I am going to face a horrible choice

91 replies

badgersandbluebells · 18/06/2017 17:17

About whether to leave my job and thus have NO income.

Or to go on formal capability.

I feel sick.

OP posts:
Report
Siwdmae · 18/06/2017 22:58

OP I had friend in a similar position. The advice was to go sick with work related stress and have the union negotiate a compromise agreement with agreed reference. You'll get paid while sick and be given about three months salary at the end with a reference. Good luck

Colleague did this for six months last year. Get the union to negotiate it so at least you're paid over the holidays.

It terrifies me, I moved schools last year and have seen a teacher of similar age/experience go through the process this year, seemingly because she is expensive. I'm 'outstanding', 'inspiring' according to an OFSYED inspector who came in last year, but it means nothing if the school wants rid of you. It's no longer the sinecure job it used to be. Good if there's a crap teacher and I've seen plenty, but bloody hard luck if you're doing a good job but cost lots.

Report
StarUtopia · 18/06/2017 23:09

Supply is really well paid (unless you're a very highly paid teacher? Which might be why they're trying to oust you sadly :( )

I would just resign. Your mental health is paramount. No job is worth this amount of stress surely?

ps Supply is brilliant. Walk in 8.30, teach with all the planning left for you, mark as you're walking around, breeze out at 3.30.

Report
SquashedInTight · 18/06/2017 23:20

Driving jobs abound, even with a basic car licence (small vans up to 3.5T). With one pre 1997 you can drive more. CPC course put on cc or use savings. Job by end of the fortnight. Not exciting but it is work and brings in a salary. Around that, set up tutoring (much more per hour!). Then in Sept can do supply, driving in holidays if needed to top up income.

Report
StopTuggingMyMink · 19/06/2017 08:04

Thinking of you today Flowers

Report
ilovesooty · 19/06/2017 08:17

Yes, thinking of you badgersandbluebells

Report
winewolfhowls · 19/06/2017 13:30

Good luck today badgers

Report
badgersandbluebells · 19/06/2017 16:55

Thanks... it was odd.

OP posts:
Report
namechangeforholiday · 19/06/2017 17:19

What happened? Hope you're ok WineBrewCakeFlowers

Report
ilovesooty · 19/06/2017 17:24

Hope you're OK. I expect it will take time to process.

Report
waitingforlifetostart · 19/06/2017 17:31

Gosh this happens way too often in the teaching profession. It's usually to those who are expensive or who question how things are done. Funnily enough it rarely happens to those who genuinely need to improve their performance.

Report
badgersandbluebells · 19/06/2017 17:33

Nothing at all happened, no one spoke to me. Strange isn't it?

OP posts:
Report
elisa2502 · 19/06/2017 17:35

If you are a teacher get Union help asap. They will secure a settlement for you before you go on formal capability.

Report
SmileEachDay · 19/06/2017 17:48

How much longer of your "week to decide" Badger? I'd suggest they'll wait until that is up then demand an answer.

Unless you get in first, with your union.

Report
BellyBean · 19/06/2017 18:33

Surely you can ride this out until the end of the year to be paid the holidays? Capability need to give you opportunity to improve. Then leave for sept depending on notice period? Or even outside standard notice they might be happy for you to leave anyway.

Report
memyselfandisolodjsjajaj · 19/06/2017 20:03

Faced with the same decision tomorrow. Not in teaching though.

Report
AtHomeDadGlos · 24/06/2017 22:47

What happened yesterday, anything?

Report
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.