Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think tomorrow I am going to face a horrible choice

91 replies

badgersandbluebells · 18/06/2017 17:17

About whether to leave my job and thus have NO income.

Or to go on formal capability.

I feel sick.

OP posts:
alwaysonmymind · 18/06/2017 18:33

Been there and resigning is the better option. If you think they have it in for you then it doesn't matter what you do.
Who will be there to support you tomorrow? Have you a union rep at work? At my meeting where I knew they would try to put me on formal capability, I surprised myself and stood my ground. I had been there 15 years and they had to pay my salary until the end of the academic year. Will they do that for you? Have you asked?

4 years later I am a long term supply and feel I have the best of both worlds.
Take a deep breath tomorrow and keep your head high

Newlifeisstarting · 18/06/2017 18:34

Is your union involved? I have been though this, don't make decisions without help and advice, especially if it's political.

badgersandbluebells · 18/06/2017 18:35

I wouldn't think so. They've been pretty unpleasant thus far.

The problem with supply is it isn't brilliantly paid and also doesn't pay holidays or sick leave (not that I think I'll need the latter but you never know ...)

OP posts:
Newlifeisstarting · 18/06/2017 18:38

I negotiated salary until the end of term, and resigned. Best thing ever that could have happened to me, it's great not to be terrified of going into work anymore. I'm still in education, as are the other (expensive) experienced teachers it happened to, I'm also in a far more senior position now and loving it.

cornishclottedcream · 18/06/2017 18:38

You need to go back to your union. This is what your fees pay for. If this is a school rep then go higher. the 23rd June is NOT enough notice from either party and they are just trying to make you panic. Offer again the end of August. So sorry this is happening to you. I bet you are an experienced (expensive) teacher? Flowers

badgersandbluebells · 18/06/2017 18:40

The union are so called involved at regional level but being honest I don't think they have any power any more. Plus the school is an academy.

OP posts:
Lanaa · 18/06/2017 18:40

Call your union again. If the school rep is rubbish call your division secretary or regional office and ask them to help. Maybe call in sick tomorrow to buy some time.

Have you been through informal capability or a so called support plan? They can't suddenly start formal proceedings without doing anything that.

badgersandbluebells · 18/06/2017 18:40

Well, unfortunately they can - it's not considered good practice but not is it illegal.

OP posts:
PyongyangKipperbang · 18/06/2017 18:43

They are not allowed to just disregard the contracted notice period when it suits them. If they want you to go sooner then they have to pay you for the notice whether they want to or not. 5 days notice wouldnt stand in the pub I used to work in never mind a school!

missyB1 · 18/06/2017 18:44

My son went through this last year. He had the union fighting his corner, he was signed off sick and whilst he was off the union negotiated his resignation with a good reference. The head tried to play hardball but the union rep wasn't standing for any nonsense.
Good luck it's a nightmare situation, I remember how stressed he was. My advice get out (making sure your reference is not affected). My son is now a safeguarding officer for the County council and loves it!

badgersandbluebells · 18/06/2017 18:45

No, they aren't allowed to ignore it but if I insist on it being adhered to they will start formal processes.

OP posts:
Newlifeisstarting · 18/06/2017 18:46

You need someone at national level to negotiate your release from contract. I was in an academy too, please pm me if you need more information. I would seriously go off sick for a couple of days whilst demanding that the union deal with it at the highest level. I ended up with a solicitor hired by the union, my school were nasty and uncooperative, you need support. You sound very stressed, some time to get your head together sounds essential.

pottered · 18/06/2017 18:47

Yeah I'm private sector and I've never heard anything like this - no informal capability, 5 days notice. Your union really ought to be locking up a fuss. Fwiw, I'd resign ultimately though to protect my CV.

badgersandbluebells · 18/06/2017 18:48

Honestly, I've tried creating but I just keep being passed from pillar to post.

All this only kicked off last fortnight.

OP posts:
Libitina · 18/06/2017 18:51

Can I ask, what is 'capability' please? Non teacher here.

badgersandbluebells · 18/06/2017 18:52

A way of sacking you Sad

OP posts:
BeingATwatItsABingThing · 18/06/2017 18:54

It's a formal concern about a teacher's performance.

SmileEachDay · 18/06/2017 18:56

badgers if this all kicked off last Friday then you are very early in the process.

What exactly has been said so far?

cornishclottedcream · 18/06/2017 18:56

There are some very wise people on the TES Community in Workplace Dilemmas who might be able to give you more advice. But I think you need to get some more help either from your union or do you have legal advice with your house insurance? Please don't give up. They are not being fair. May I ask how long the school has been an academy and how long you have worked there? I was just wondering about pay and conditions on transfer being protected. I think it is called TUPE or something like that.

SmileEachDay · 18/06/2017 18:56

Oops, last fortnight, i mean

winewolfhowls · 18/06/2017 18:56

I'm thinking I may be facing this type of situation next year, there's hints in the air. An unblemished record and always had good observations. Can't believe I am not yet forty but considered too expensive.

It's absolute madness and a real knock to the confidence and self worth. Just remember it's not you it's them.

badgersandbluebells · 18/06/2017 18:57

They gave me a week to think about whether I wanted to go on formal capability, or resign.

The union initially said "oh, they can't do that!" but it seems they can.

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Newlifeisstarting · 18/06/2017 18:57

Phone in sick, self certify for a day or two, you sound so stressed, I kept going and had a full on break down, don't do that. Have you got someone that can talk to you union for you? I had a great case worker who managed everything. Do not give up.

SmileEachDay · 18/06/2017 18:59

They gave me a week to think about whether I wanted to go on formal capability, or resign.

Following what? Bad observations? Not meeting PM targets? What support have you had if there have been issues?

Calvinlookingforhobbs · 18/06/2017 19:01

OP, sorry to ask, but are you good at your job? Are you capable?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.