My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think trampoline venues should close in this heat?

40 replies

Flairbuilder · 18/06/2017 16:14

I'm sitting outside of a Jump Giants warehouse because it's way too hot inside. DC is at a party. There are 3 parties going on but nobody else in there on such a hot day. There's no air conditioning. It's just about bearable downstairs where the trampolines are (when sitting, not bouncing) , but I feel very sorry for the girl working in the cafe upstairs as that is suffocating.

Don't have a thermometer, but it's a lot hotter inside than the 32 degrees outside (according to the local forecast).

The party hosts are supplying the kids with water, but surely there has to be some sort of legal maximum temperature for these places?

OP posts:
esiotrot2015 · 18/06/2017 16:15

Crumbs
I'm not sure I'd have taken my dc tbh

Chilver · 18/06/2017 16:17

If you're that concerned, why did you let your DC go in?

NicolasFlamel · 18/06/2017 16:28

Confused take your kid out of there if it's really bad

specialsubject · 18/06/2017 16:41

There is no legal max for UK buildings - as anyone who has ever worked in an office knows. And architects don't think about it, they just install planet wrecking aircon in a country that should never need it.

I have an old house, blissfully cool in here. Why did we lose those skills?

Floralnomad · 18/06/2017 16:44

Don't be ridiculous , your choice whether to go or not .

PickleSarnie · 18/06/2017 16:47

All trampoline venues ? Just because your one doesn't have decent aircon?!

GirlInTheDirtyShirt · 18/06/2017 16:47

I understand that in the UK it's not usual to have these kinds of temperatures so people might feel it more, but here in the Med, where temperatures are above 30°C from May to October, people work in bars, schools, markets, etc etc without a/c and don't melt. We also have a summer fair in July with a trampoline park. Yes, it's a bit sweaty but appropriate clothing and plenty of water and you're good.

allegretto · 18/06/2017 16:55

Girlinthedirtyshirt - I agree. It's been above 35 degrees here all week and we don't have air-con. We just sweat it out and moan a lot though!

Heratnumber7 · 18/06/2017 17:08

People in the UK are really weird about heat. I think everyone is afraid they might die if it goes above 24 for more than a day.

blackheartsgirl · 18/06/2017 17:11

Try working in a factory sat next to hot chemical tanks and machinery in this heat! No fans and no ventilation.

It's unbearable but we just get on with it and make sure we are well hydrated

chumpchange · 18/06/2017 17:12

In fairness to the OP: I come from a very hot country but it is a lot more unpleasant when it gets hot in the UK. The buildings are designed to maintain heat, whereas in my country they generally allow more airflow.

That said, the place is open but nobody has to go there!

ThroughThickAndThin01 · 18/06/2017 17:13

They have a business to run. YABU.

x2boys · 18/06/2017 17:16

seriously? i was a nurse on a dementia care ward in weather like this it was often unberarable , if you think its too hot dont let them jump we only get a few weeks at most in this country of this type of weather.

TheNaze73 · 18/06/2017 17:18

Make your own choice. It's not Cuba

Flairbuilder · 18/06/2017 17:33

Make your own choice. It's not Cuba

Hmm, I wonder how many of you would drag your kid out of a children's party because you thought the venue was too hot? Not exactly the done thing, is it? DC would never live it down, and my name would be mud in the playground on Monday. No, I'll suffer in silence thanks, and have a moan on Mumsnet because it's the most I can do, and I'll feel better for it. Grin

All trampoline venues ?

Duh! No, obviously just the hot ones.

OP posts:
HeadDreamer · 18/06/2017 17:36

I agree with chumpchange. I grew up in the subtropical Hong Kong. It is hotter than this weekend back in Easter, if you look at the thermometer. The problem isn't the 24C. It is how buildings are designed. It's so unbearably hot in many offices and halls and buses and the underground here. I don't mind sitting in a shade today outdoors, I find it pleasant and warm. What I can't stand is going to the kind of place the OP describes. A shed with no air con.

By the way, it is the same in hot countries with winter. It is really cold in Hong Kong at 15C. No heating and the windows aren't designed to shut.

NC4now · 18/06/2017 17:36

YABU!!
Sorry, I laughed.
No-one forces you to go. It's not a legal obligation!

HeadDreamer · 18/06/2017 17:38

And the children won't leave. DC1 went to a party a few weeks ago. Slightly less hot but the venue has no aircon. After two hours when she left, she was ill and looked visibly pale. I had to hold her under the arm to get into the car. And she arrived home last Thursday from school with a minor heat stroke too.

Flairbuilder · 18/06/2017 17:38

They have a business to run

Then they'd better keep their customers happy and install some air conditioning before they get too many complaints, or some kid collapses of heat exhaustion. These places are big warehouses on trading estates - not sports centres - they should have some self-imposed health and safety rules when temperatures rise.

OP posts:
Silvercatowner · 18/06/2017 17:46

I'm sure if they get too many complaints then they will take steps. It's a business decision and we have this sort of weather two or three times a year at most.

ArtemisiaGentilleschi · 18/06/2017 17:47

Lol- 38 here and life goes on. We go to work, kids go to school. People have parties.

We don't feel the need to sit outside our houses till 4am playing crap music and eating dodgy burgers though.

Brits are so funny when the thermometer goes over 20.

(I am British)

iamavodkadrinker · 18/06/2017 17:51

Their customers obviously are happy if they're paying to go? Leave if you don't like it.

Sofabitch · 18/06/2017 17:51

Our local one closèled today. Metal warehouse type building heats up like an over in these temperatures.

alltouchedout · 18/06/2017 17:53

It's hot like this for a few weeks of the year, if that. What business is going to find it worthwhile to shell out on air conditioning which will only be useful for a very small part of each year?

Flairbuilder · 18/06/2017 18:03

Lol- 38 here and life goes on. We go to work, kids go to school. People have parties

They don't have parties in non-air conditioned aluminium warehouses!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.