My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think trampoline venues should close in this heat?

40 replies

Flairbuilder · 18/06/2017 16:14

I'm sitting outside of a Jump Giants warehouse because it's way too hot inside. DC is at a party. There are 3 parties going on but nobody else in there on such a hot day. There's no air conditioning. It's just about bearable downstairs where the trampolines are (when sitting, not bouncing) , but I feel very sorry for the girl working in the cafe upstairs as that is suffocating.

Don't have a thermometer, but it's a lot hotter inside than the 32 degrees outside (according to the local forecast).

The party hosts are supplying the kids with water, but surely there has to be some sort of legal maximum temperature for these places?

OP posts:
Muddlingalongalone · 18/06/2017 18:03

Uggghhhhhh we're off to a jump giants party on 16th July. Not looking forward to it at all

caffeinestream · 18/06/2017 18:07

Don't go if you think it's too hot. The parents and business were happy for it to go ahead - their choice at the end of the day.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen · 18/06/2017 18:12

People get 'weird' in the UK about heat as our houses are built to keep in the heat. I was born and lived abroad for years and it's a whole different kettle of fish with cool stone walls,marble flooring and shutters to keep out the sun .

Flairbuilder · 18/06/2017 18:27

Don't go if you think it's too hot

We went because we assumed there'd be air-con and because we'd accepted the invitation. How would you feel if nobody showed up to your kid's birthday party because it was too hot? How would your DC feel?

Don't suppose they'll be getting more bookings from any families that were visiting today though.

I was born and lived abroad for years and it's a whole different kettle of fish with cool stone walls,marble flooring and shutters to keep out the sun

I lived in a place like that in Sydney for a couple of yours - coldest place I've ever lived in winter - had to go to bed wearing a bobble hat and watch tv wrapped in a duvet! Grin

OP posts:
Muddlingalongalone · 18/06/2017 18:36

Which jump giants were you at?

Floralnomad · 18/06/2017 18:59

Actually if I felt that strongly that something was detrimental to my child's health yes I'd have stopped them going , peer pressure and other parents gossip wouldn't make me put my child at risk .

Flairbuilder · 18/06/2017 19:44

Actually if I felt that strongly that something was detrimental to my child's health yes I'd have stopped them going

No you wouldn't, because you wouldn't have known what it was going to be like beforehand.

If you had gone into the venue, and thought your child wouldn't be able to cope, then yes, you might have made that decision. However most of the kids were brought in groups by parents who dropped them off at the door.

We arrived late (traffic) so I had to take DC in - otherwise I wouldn't have known how hot it was. I made the decision to let him stay, seeing that he was coping, knowing he's pretty good at letting adults know when he's flagging, and knowing that the host had plenty of water. Most of the others didn't have anyone there to make that decision for them.

OP posts:
ForalltheSaints · 18/06/2017 19:53

As long as water is available and children are aware of this, I think it should stay open.

beepbeepimasheep · 18/06/2017 19:57

It depends if you like a Nanny State or not. Parents can, and should, decide if it is too hot for their children or not - if it's too hot for you to sit in there and watch them then it's too hot for them to be on the trampolines.

jarhead123 · 18/06/2017 20:07

Our local one has air con, it's always freezing in there!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen · 18/06/2017 20:09

I would assume a big place like that would have air conditioning ,they have so many rules before you even get to jump I'm surprised they risk kids over heating and keeling over.

MEESH25 · 18/06/2017 20:17

YABU

Flairbuilder · 18/06/2017 20:20

It depends if you like a Nanny State or not. Parents can, and should, decide if it is too hot for their children or not

Yeah, like they should decide whether it's too windy for them to go on a bouncy castle or not.

Venues that provide children's parties have a responsibility to make sure they are taking reasonable steps to ensure child safety. Even if they meet all the regs, it won't do their business much good if kids start getting heat exhaustion.

They also have a responsibility to give their employees a safe and comfortable working environment.

OP posts:
Mumoftwoyoungkids · 18/06/2017 20:23

My Dd is in a trampolining squad. Training as usual on Saturday. They coped by drinking lots of water, wearing suitable clothing (sleeveless leo) and taking it in turns to stand in front of the fan.

At least they are out of the sun.

beepbeepimasheep · 18/06/2017 20:44

Setting up a bouncy castle when it's too windy is a different kettle of fish altogether; parents are not bouncy castle experts on the whole and they are not on the bouncy castle to see what the wind is like. They also aren't experts in the aerodynamic properties of bouncy castles and they don't know how well it has been fixed down.

They do know when it's uncomfortably hot to be on a trampoline place. We went to one and it was unbearable for those of us watching, we went and bought DD some water and cut short our visit.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.