My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to cancel my Hotmail account after 20 years?

51 replies

jwpetal · 08/06/2017 14:19

It is a bit of a ridiculous rant, but I have had my account since 1997 approx. I have sat through change after change, but today I have had enough. AIBU to want to smack the developers over the head and yell, WTF are you thinking? After years of the email design, I can no longer delete emails based on the subject line en mass. I have to delete each individual email. If I open the email, I have to go the reply button and scroll down to delete the message. And before anyone says that i can set up a delete rule, I do not want to do this. I can see the email and mark to delete as wanted. What numpty decided that this was a good idea? I am now thinking I will just use my yahoo account until they decide to change a working email design. grrrr

OP posts:
liquidrevolution · 08/06/2017 15:38

Whoever at hotmail suggested focussed inbox was a good idea should be shot.

PinkPeppers · 08/06/2017 15:38

Where do you read on yur emails? Computer, tablet?

I really really dont like the new hotmail playout and fully garee wityh the not being able o delete emails 'me masse'.
So i use another system to read email (from computer) that allows me to do that (it came with computer and windows 10) or the system on the ipad.
Could you find system your end that would allow you to tear and delete emails wo going onto hotmail?

PinkPeppers · 08/06/2017 15:39

The focus inbox is crap!!

bruffin · 08/06/2017 15:42

Instructions how to get rid of focus in box in my post above

arbrighton · 08/06/2017 15:44

I don't use my hotmail, just keep the address for anything online shopping wise that will start spamming me

And autoforward the inbox to gmail so the order confirmations come through but don't have my real email address

LurkingHusband · 08/06/2017 15:48

Generally it's best to avoid the web interface if you can possibly help it.

I run Hotmail into Thunderbird, which is much easier to manage.

I must admit, sometimes I have to wonder WTF is going on at MS towers. They have repeatedly done their best to ruin everything people liked about them. In particular scrapping Outlook Express, and Windows Mail.

Like the OP I've had my Hotmail account since the year dot, so it's ingrained everywhere.

mikeyssister · 08/06/2017 15:49

Buffin, I'll love you for ever and a day

mygorgeousmilo · 08/06/2017 15:52

YANBU at all....!! I've been furious with it since it updated - and because it's so old I have the most perfect and concise email address I could hope for, I don't want to change it!

mygorgeousmilo · 08/06/2017 15:55

Have you heard the news about our Lord and saviour, AKA bruffin
Going to try it now! Grin

caffeinestream · 08/06/2017 15:57

Why not run your hotmail emails through another inbox?

AlexanderHamilton · 08/06/2017 16:00

THank you!!!!!

I hate the focus thing. Now I can get rid of it.

bruffin · 08/06/2017 16:03
Grin
RtHonMistress · 08/06/2017 16:08

I used to have a Hotmail account that I used for spam only but I haven't used it in years.

Don't move to Yahoo - opt for Gmail if you are planning to change. It's brilliant!

redladybird · 08/06/2017 16:08

I feel like this about googlemail/gmail.

Redpony1 · 08/06/2017 16:09

bruffin thank you - i couldn't find out how to get rid of the 'focus' sorting!

Out of interest, why do you need to delete emails? I've never deleted an email from my hotmail in the 20 years I've had it.
Seriously?? I'd have thousands upon thousands of emails for absolutely no reason! My 20+ year old Hotmail inbox is very neat & tidy and things deleted or moved to folders every day

thedragonflyinn · 08/06/2017 16:10

@bruffin you're a star, that's been bugging me for weeks! Thank you.

hazeydays14 · 08/06/2017 16:15

bruffin you are Queen/King Grin

I have opened a gmail and I'm slowly starting to use that for important things now to try and phase out my hotmail but it is a daunting task. Hotmail is just so useless recently.

BluePancakes · 08/06/2017 16:31

See, I've had Hotmail for over 20yrs, and just got used to focussed/other inbox, and then this week it mysteriously disappeared - which annoyed me more than the change to have it in the first place!
So thank you Bruffin for telling me how to get it back again!

user1494597553 · 08/06/2017 18:44

In the grey search box at the top, to the right are 4 horizontal lines with 2 ticks. Click this and it puts a box next to each mail. Tick each box and you can delete or move in one go.

BTW I hate the new interface too.

Acopyofacopy · 08/06/2017 18:50

Another focus inbox hater here - finally managed to get rid of mine yesterday!

mando12345 · 08/06/2017 18:52

Thank you Bruffin, I am very excited getting my hotmail back to normal :)

Firesuit · 08/06/2017 19:23

Because ive had my email since time imamorial and it would be a pain to change

You don't have to change your email address if you move to gmail, you can set up gmail to automatically collect mail from your previous account.

i.e you can use gmails software with one or more non-gmail addresses.

And, to agree with people on another point, anyone deleting email is doing things wrong. (Other than stuff like notifications/alerts that will definitely never be of interest in future) If you think not deleting means clutter, you've obviously not understood the gmail archive button yet.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

7461Mary18 · 08/06/2017 19:23

I don't like changes like this.
On Thunderbird the attachment appears at end not start of email so if I need to print out the first bit of an email chain with the attachment showing as attached - something I do about 20 times every day I have to print page 1 and then the last page 33 or whatever. Pity it doesn't appear on page 1 as used to be the case for the email I used before.

Also Word now if you want all the track changes to show (something just about everyone who amends documents wants) you have actively on every single document to change it (supposedly you only do it once but that doesn't work) so I have to do that about 15 times every day.

Atenco · 08/06/2017 22:20

Well personally I prefer yahoo to gmail, but to each their own.

I'm still use Office 2003, as long as this computer lasts, because I never saw any benefit in the "new" layout that came in afterwards.

e1y1 · 08/06/2017 22:36

What website are you using?

I've got an @msn email address (almost unheard of now), but hotmail/live/msn/outlook all fall under Microsoft.

I use outlook.com to access my emails. I can still delete/mark as read for emails en masse.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.