Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

my sister wants my dad to drive her

48 replies

southeastastra · 06/02/2007 10:16

to his house, she lives 3 hours away, but doesn't like motorway driving. so he has to go and pick her up, stay overnight then drive back and take her home again a week later. she's 42 btw and he is 77.

aibu in getting annoyed about this?

OP posts:

Bozza · 06/02/2007 10:18

She needs to get a grip. If she doesn't like motorway driving find an alternative route or go on the train.

maisym · 06/02/2007 10:18

could she take public transport - even part of the way? or drive the scenic route?

itsmeNDP · 06/02/2007 10:19

She is being lame, imo. If she cannot drive herself then she needs to find an alternative source of transport. Can she get the train ?

It seems unfair of her to expect her elderly father to do the running around for her. Did he offer to drive her or did she ask him ?

southeastastra · 06/02/2007 10:20

when she gets the train my bil has to pick her up from london. and when she's here my dad has to drive her about on day trips.

OP posts:

southeastastra · 06/02/2007 10:20

she asked

OP posts:

lazyline · 06/02/2007 10:25

Tell her to start walking. And come back to the real world.

FioFio · 06/02/2007 10:26

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

itsmeNDP · 06/02/2007 10:28

If I were your Dad, I'd tell her to pull herself together.

StrawberrySnowflakes · 06/02/2007 10:28

she should grow up and stop only looking out for herself, elderly parents are not there to ferry 'children' about, esp when his 'child' is in her 40's!, you dad should be chilling out and she should respect that.
Give her a train/bus time table.

FioFio · 06/02/2007 10:28

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

southeastastra · 06/02/2007 10:31

my dad won't tell her, he's a softy. but he doesn't use his car much now, he walks everywhere. i'm worried for him doing the journey especially as it's so frosty at the moment. perhaps i'll tell her, though she'll ignore me for months and probably tell me i'm jealous

OP posts:

TheEmeraldCityTourGuide · 06/02/2007 10:31

We've got a couple of adults in our family who insist on behaving like children.
Unfortunately it is because the parents concerned indulge them, and it has now become routine.
I think it is difficult for you to say something if your father is happy and willing to do it, TBH.
But I certainly don't think you're being unreasonable in finding it annoying - she's a grown woman and needs to sort herself out.

Bozza · 06/02/2007 10:33

Still haven't got why she can't take a non-motorway route? Could you work one out for her on a route planner and send it to her? Or would she take great offence?

southeastastra · 06/02/2007 10:37

she would take offence, but tbh i don't care anymore, i just can't understand why she can see no wrong in asking him in the first place.

he went to see her last year as she couldn't be bothered to come up and see him. he really misses her - but how can she take advantage of him like this with no conscience?

OP posts:

chopchopbusybusy · 06/02/2007 10:37

You mean I'll still be asked for lifts in 30 years time.

Seriously though, if he's happy to do it then it's up to him really. Maybe he just thinks if he doesn't pick her up she won't visit him.

Maybe you should get together with your Dad and buy her some advanced driving lessons for her next birthday

StrawberrySnowflakes · 06/02/2007 10:39

even if she falls out with you for a bit, id still tell her its unfair to expect this of him.better to have a few cross words than 'wish' youd said something if god forbid anything did happen!, she needs to wake up and unwrap the cotton wool she has budnled herself in..tell your dad he's lovely and he's too nice

itsmeNDP · 06/02/2007 10:39

No Fio, Brum is a crime free Utopia nowadays

Tortington · 06/02/2007 10:42

you need to get her a motorway driving lesson for her birthday.

i do understand the LONDON eeek big scarey eeek and more eeek thinking. i'm so over it everyone except london bus drivers are very helpful.

i also had an eeek eek more eek about the m25, use it weekly now. but undrstand the eek factor. however due to necessity i got over miself.

get her a lesson.

southeastastra · 06/02/2007 10:45

she doesn't need to go into london just the m3 then m25 it's such an easy journey i've done it lots. she is also much more loaded that i am (she has a sugar daddy boyfiend) i think she is just used to being mollycoddled.

OP posts:

Tortington · 06/02/2007 10:47

i think in all seriousness you need to slap her with a wet fish.

when shes on the floor a couple of kicks up the arse.

Catbabymummy · 06/02/2007 10:52

I second custardo. She's is 42, ffs! That's pathetic! Your poor Dad!

southeastastra · 06/02/2007 10:55

haha (off to purchase a wet fish)

OP posts:

Catbabymummy · 06/02/2007 11:06

BTW can't the sugar daddy bf take her?

lizziemun · 06/02/2007 11:23

Tell her to grow up and drive herself.

I hate motorway driving, well driving full stop i am sick every time i have to drive somewhere i don't know and if i am driving to some where i know, i am still in and out of the loo (sorry if tmi) but i still do it and i'm only 37yrs.

She should get her sugar daddy to buy her a tomtom to tell her where to go.

southeastastra · 06/02/2007 11:31

we haven't been introduced to the sugar daddy yet!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?