Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To have just spent the last 20 minutes writing a complaint to Odeon?

58 replies

dottyladybug · 02/07/2013 15:23

I am BEYOND fuming so wrote them a complaint, I have printed it I am now thinking should I send it or leave it? Letter below:

As I am sure you are aware there was some sort of problem with the showing of the above film. This in itself would not normally be a problem, however the handling of the problem was dreadful and unacceptable.
At approximately 11:30, 15 minutes after the scheduled start time, another member of the audience went to locate a member of staff to enquire when the film would commence. On her arrival she said that she was told it would start in a minute.
Another 10 minutes went by with no film and no staff member to explain. Understandably the children were getting restless so I took my 2 year old and went to find a staff member (standing at the bottom of the stairs) I asked if they were planning on playing the film, I was told there was a problem and that they were sending somebody up to fix it. I remarked that it was very inconsiderate to not send anyone to explain what is going on and I returned to the screen.
A few minutes later a staff member appeared and informed that there was a problem that was trying to be rectified. Obviously there were a lot of people annoyed and after some discussion on the staff members radio it was announced that the Newbies screening was actually the 12pm show in screen 6.
We were informed to move to screen 6 and then the film would commence at 12pm with approximately 20 minutes of adverts meaning the film would not actually start until 12:20pm- just over an hour after the time of our purchased tickets. When it was pointed out to the staff member that this was not the Newbies showing we were informed that that is what he had been told on the radio.
A discussion was had on the radio informing the ticket kiosk to not sell tickects for this showing unless they were for Newbies, and some of the people in the screen with out young children were offered another showing at 1pm however they said that they were fine to stay where they were.

I think it is highly inconsiderate to allow customers to wait and no information given until around 25 minutes after the scheduled start after TWO customers have had to enquire about the problem. It is also incredibly insulting (and also a complete fabrication on your part) that the 12pm showing was Newbies when it its advertised online, posters inside and outside of the building, leaflets and computerized ticket machines as being at 11:15.
Instead of saying to your customers, who pay good money to watch films at your establishment, that we have a problem and therefore moving screens it is decided to say that 12pm was the Newbies showing anyway, implying that we purchased incorrect tickets. Your staff member who handled the situation, when they eventually appeared, was kind and polite however I had sympathy for him having to answer questions in the absence of the manager who was, it appeared reluctant (by asking that as we were now moved to screen 6 was he still needed) to make an appearance.
I have now spent £14.35 on an activity for myself and my daughter to enjoy together and due to the situation we were unable to enjoy the film as we would in the absence of these problems and as a consequence of the lateness my daughter did not get to watch the entire film and was quite upset when she awoke at home as the where the minions had gone.

I hope you will review your procedure for problems that may occur in the future and fully expect this to include being honest and transparent with your customers in a timely manner that should not have to be prompted by the customer.

Dotty

OP posts:
Please
or

Tee2072 · 02/07/2013 15:27

Too long. Didn't read and neither will they.

Dear Odeon

My film was scheduled to start at X time. It never did. Give me my money back.

Regards

Dotty

Or similar.

Please
or

SalaciousBCrumb · 02/07/2013 15:28

I hope you feel better for having got that out of your system. I appreciate it's annoying but your letter is very hard to follow. You watched the film so I'd let it go now.

BTW I think it's the contrast of style between the start and end of this: " due to the situation we were unable to enjoy the film as we would in the absence of these problems and as a consequence of the lateness my daughter did not get to watch the entire film and was quite upset when she awoke at home as the where the minions had gone. " but I'm afraid it made me laugh out loud. Perhaps not what you're hoping Odeon will do?

Please
or

Snazzywaitingforsummer · 02/07/2013 15:30

Complain and see whether they apologise or offer you something, but the letter's too long. Bring it down to bullet points about what went wrong and ask how they plan to make this up to you as regular paying customers.

Haven't Odeon kids' screenings got quite a bit more expensive anyway? I would recommend Cineworld (only £1 if you book online) or Vue (£1.75 and you get the Nurdles who my DS loves). Fewer ads in both.

Please
or

CajaDeLaMemoria · 02/07/2013 15:30

Send it if it'll make you feel better! They'll likely send you a pair of free tickets.

We went to see Les Mis and the film started an hour late before breaking consistently and eventually giving up completely. It took four hours to watch about an hour and a half of the film, and for a lot we just got sound or watched the same bit over and over. Nobody told us what was happening - there just doesn't seem to be a procedure for this kind of thing.

Please
or

WorraLiberty · 02/07/2013 15:32

Definitely too long and needs space between paragraphs.

Please
or

Jan49 · 02/07/2013 15:38

Send them a really brief letter pointing out how late the film started and that staff should have explained what was happening. Definitely cut out the bit about your dd. Hopefully you'll get free tickets or a refund. I'm amazed it cost that much.

Please
or

Jan49 · 02/07/2013 15:39

Oh yes, YABU to be beyond fuming over it and to waste time writing that letter.

Please
or

Aigle · 02/07/2013 15:45

I think that your letter is a bit dotty. I should have been one, tight paragraph.

Please
or

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit · 02/07/2013 15:46

Dear Odeon
Purchased tickets to the newbie screening of Dis Me 2, due to a problem we were asked to move screens and see the later 12pm showing. I appreciate that problems occur at times however the situation was handled very unprofessionally by staff and managers and customers were not informed. The later time of the film caused an inconvenience to my daughter and I and as a result we were not able to enjoy the show.

I would appreciate this matter being raised with the staff members and managers involved to ensure that this does not happen again.

Sincerely
dotty

Please
or

LEMisdisappointed · 02/07/2013 15:48

Too long and confusing - when you have calmed down, write them a letter saying that your film was delayed, there was an issue with communication and due to the delay your DD was not able to watch the whole of the film and hope that the company value your custom enough to GIVE YOU YOUR FUCKING MONEY BACK Grin Ok,maybe don't include the last bit!

I'd be pretty peed off too!

Please
or

fuzzpig · 02/07/2013 15:54

That does sound really badly handled. I remember a problem in an Odeon cinema (was Moulin Rouge so quite some years ago!) and they were very forthcoming with info to us, instant refund too, so we went and saw another movie.

I do agree your letter is too long, you should cut it down and then send it.

Please
or

Theselittlelightsofmine · 02/07/2013 15:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

Pobblewhohasnotoes · 02/07/2013 15:58

Too long, I didn't finish reading it.

You need to be more concise rather than writing it angry style.

Please
or

FancyPuffin · 02/07/2013 15:59

Dear Odeon

SHOW ME SOME FUCKING MINIONS

yours

Dotty x

Please
or

nenevomito · 02/07/2013 16:00

I couldn't follow your letter at all.

Simplify it and then send it, but not in its current format.

Please
or

TantrumsAndBalloons · 02/07/2013 16:01

Too too long.
And sorry, but the part about your dd waking up at home wondering where the minions had gone actually made me laugh.
It needs to be more concise.

Please
or

gordyslovesheep · 02/07/2013 16:03

I have no idea what you mean by newbies at all - a rather confusing letter to be fair

Please
or

zipzap · 02/07/2013 16:06

Send them a tweet and put a message on their Facebook page.

Then it's a highly visible complaint, they'll say 'ooh sorry, what went wrong?' and you can tell them, they will hopefully send a set of free tickets out for you to watch the whole thing again. They seem quite proactive on twitter when complaints are tweeted in. Try @ODEONCinemas

Please
or

ShatnersBassoon · 02/07/2013 16:06

You should complain, but you need to be succinct. Tell them what happened, tell them how you were disappointed, tell them what you expect them to do. You're not telling them a story, you're telling them they let you down and need to make it up to you.

Please
or

MalcolmTuckersMum · 02/07/2013 16:07

Yes - sorry, but couldn't understand at all what point you were trying to make. It's all over the place! Rewrite it keeping it short, courteous, to the point and make clear what they can do to make it better. You paid for something that you didn't get therefore, in this instance, you want a refund.

Please
or

AmyFarrahFowlerCooper · 02/07/2013 16:08

Too long, didnt read. And neither will they.

I read once on that the best complaint letter format is "complaint, compliment, resolution".

Dear Odeon

I was recently at to see . I was quite disappointed with the experience as the film was an hour late to start due to problems in that screen and this meant my daughter was unable to stay awake for the full film. There was a lot of miscommunication from the staff which added to our frustration and disappointment. (Complaint).

We regularly choose Odeon for films and have always enjoyed our visits to . We particular like the newbies screenings and often recommend them to our friends with children (Compliment).

I would like to continue to use Odeon and would like a full refund for £ so that my daughter and I can return and see the full film. I hope that my feedback can be passed on to the manager at so that this problem can be avoided in the future. (Resolution).

Sincerely, OP

The tips I read were to specifically ask for exactly what you want as they are more likely to refund or fulfil your request that way. I've only complained twice but got what I asked for both times using this idea.

Please
or

TantrumsAndBalloons · 02/07/2013 16:10

What are newbies?

Please
or

bulletwithbutterflywings · 02/07/2013 16:10

Unreadable. Do fancypuffins letter.

Please
or

Madamecastafiore · 02/07/2013 16:12

I got bored half way through.

Wait until you are less emotional and then write another concise letter.

Please
or

Weegiemum · 02/07/2013 16:14

I like fancypuffins letter.

I got a refund from odeon when I walked out of les mis after 35 mins it was that or die of boredom .

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?