Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To wish I had run this man over as well as bumping his car

30 replies

Deaddei · 25/04/2011 16:28

oh god what a morning.
Parking in the supermarket I went into a parked car.
Broke his front headlight- more damage to mine as I went into a concrete post as well.
He was a well dressed man in his 60s and was just returning to his car.
I got out, straight away said it was my fault ( which it was)..... And he gave me such verbal abuse.
Called me a fucking bitch, look what I'd done to his car.....came right up close to me.
He then got his phone out and called the police......I said I was going into the supermarket to get the manager and also to get away from his abuse. A woman nearby said to him he had no right speaking like that- it was an accident and he could see I was shaken.
He hadn't realised anyone was there and turned on the charm.....but said to me he hadn't realised he was dealing with someone with learning difficulties.
As I walked away he accused me of leaving the scene of a crime, and that he'd make sure the police threw the book at me. He was a bit deflated when the police called him back to tell him they would not be coming as no one was hurt.
Manager of supermarket was brilliant...this guy spoke to me through her, and was so condescending.
I was in floods of tears doing my shopping and came home, was sick a few times.
Dh was very supportive when he got home- he phoned up the guy and told him how abusive he was, he'd really upset me and at the end of the day, a headlight had been broken.
I still feel sick-he was a respectable looking guy, well dressed, but god was he intimidating.

OP posts:

FabbyChic · 25/04/2011 16:30

Thats awful, you already admitted it was your fault he could have just taken your details and been on his way.

Hope you are feeling less shaken now.

maverick1 · 25/04/2011 16:31

Indefensible - where does he get off? Yes its a bummer if someone damages your car, but any right minded person deals with it in a civilised manner, exchanges insurance details and end of! Poor you - he was vile

mamaz0n · 25/04/2011 16:31

He sounds like an utter prick.

I hope you took photos of the damage. He sounds the type to claim for an whole new car.

You should have asked to speak to the police and explained that he was being abusive and threatening. He would have ended up in the shit.

What a nasty horrible attitude.

ShavingGodfreysPrivates · 25/04/2011 16:32

Tell him you are going to report him to the police for verbal abuse, after all swearing in the street is a public order offence isn't it?

What a wanker.

BaadRobot · 25/04/2011 16:32

What an arrogant tosser. Hope you're soon feeling better about it all. Glad the police made him look like an arse.

maverick1 · 25/04/2011 16:32

Yes - not too late to call the police now and report his behaviour. Do it!

Spenguin · 25/04/2011 16:33

How mean!

I would threaten him with an assault charge.

Hope you're feeling better now. He's not worth your time or anguish.

dickcheeseandthecrackers · 25/04/2011 16:33

Yes hope you managed to get some photos of his damage.
What a dickhead meanie.

Deaddei · 25/04/2011 16:35

He was going on holiday tomorrow, and was threatening to make me pay for a hire car.
I wonder if he'd like his wife/daughter spoken to like that.
I still feel shaky....haven't eaten anything yet.
Ironically, my car is going in for work this week as a big 8 by 4 caused damage back in February.....

OP posts:

NoCarbsBeforeMarbs · 25/04/2011 16:37

Poor you.

He sounds a total idiot (they all seem to come out at holiday times -festival of goodwill and forgiveness and all that Hmm)

I'd agree about reporting his foul language towards you, not on at all.
Hope you're less shaken now.
Sweet Brew.

Deaddei · 25/04/2011 16:37

And it was the learning difficulties bit that really got to me.....why would he assume that? What a horrible thing to say.
Bigoted bastard. Bet he wouldn't have said it to a bloke.

OP posts:

mangle · 25/04/2011 16:44

What a pathetic excuse for a man! Car accidents seem to give some men an excuse to behave badly! Two female neighbours down my road had a colision. One of their husband's came out and began swearing and shouting at the other woman and made her cry! He then proceeded to tell my DH that afternoon and was boasting about how aggresive he had been and how he had made her cry! My DH put him straight and asked him how he would have felt if his wife had been treated in such a way. He seemed totally bemused and now barely speaks to my DH (what a relief). x

SomethingProfound · 25/04/2011 16:44

What a prick! his behaviour was totally unacceptable, I know its easier said than done but try not to let his behaviour effect you. As its not about you or who you are a person but about his inability to deal with situations like this in a rational manner.

He is a bully pure and simple, and you should report him, he needs a boot up the arse!

mangle · 25/04/2011 16:45

What a pathetic excuse for a man! Car accidents seem to give some men an excuse to behave badly! Two female neighbours down my road had a colision. One of their husband's came out and began swearing and shouting at the other woman and made her cry! He then proceeded to tell my DH that afternoon and was boasting about how aggresive he had been and how he had made her cry! My DH put him straight and asked him how he would have felt if his wife had been treated in such a way. He seemed totally bemused and now barely speaks to my DH (what a relief). x

Rhinestone · 25/04/2011 16:45

He's a git. You did nothing wrong - you made a mistake which happens to all of us sometimes. It's why there is such a thing as 'insurance'.

And for the avoidance of all doubt, you are absolutely allowed to leave the scene of an accident if you fear for your own safety, PROVIDED you stop in the first place where you do feel safe and subsequently inform the police.

I hit a girl once as she'd run into the road to avoid a massive gang fight. I stopped, got out and realised what was happening and so got in my car and drove further up the road and flagged down a couple of police officers who were running down to deal with the fight.

I was quite shaken and said that I honestly wasn't driving off, I just wanted to get out of the way and they were lovely. Said I'd done exactly the right thing and even apologised for breathalysing me!

Deaddei · 25/04/2011 16:46

Oh you are all so supportive....I gave up Mn for Lent and am so glad to be back!!

OP posts:

ZonkedOut · 25/04/2011 16:46

That's absolutely awful, there's no reason for people to be such absolute pigs about something that is clearly an accident. If he can't cope with things like that, he shouldn't be driving.

A few years ago, I hit a car in my work's car park, the other driver was a colleague I didn't really know, but I burst into tears and said sorry, and he took me inside and bought me a cup of tea to help me calm down! He was lovely about it, and even thanked me a few days later for taking full responsibility with my insurance company!

Big hugs, and remember not everyone is like that, and HE's the one with problems, not you!

Rhinestone · 25/04/2011 16:49

Can I clarify - I hit a girl with my car by accident! I didn't go up and punch her!

KenDoddsDadsDog · 25/04/2011 16:54

What a bully! Hope you are feeling better OP.

penguin73 · 25/04/2011 18:08

His behaviour was out of order but if someone caused damage to my car and that damage would have to be repaired before I could go away I would be pretty hacked off too, especially if a BH so no chance of getting it done on the same day. Maybe it was the icing on the cake of a bad day for him - not condoning his behaviour, just thinking of the time when I have over-reacted badly to being hit by a taxi driver having buried my nan a week before and just come back from collecting her legal papers. I'd love to meet him again if only to apologise.

Punkatheart · 25/04/2011 18:35

I agree with Ken ....clearly a bully and an angry bully at that. What bad luck that you ran into a man like that..

Sit yourself down and read the words of wisdom here. It sounds as if reporting him to the police would not be a bad idea. You must be feeling so shaken. Sorry that you had to go through that...

bigTillyMint · 25/04/2011 18:42

Oh poor youSad

Glad to hear that the woman in the carpark and your DH supported you. What a todder - definitely a bully.

huddspur · 25/04/2011 18:47

He does sound horrible but if he is one of these people who is ridiculously proud of his car then its not entirely surprising.

herbietea · 25/04/2011 18:56

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Xales · 25/04/2011 18:59

What an over reaction about some metal and plastic! There was no need for him to be so abusive his insurance can sort him a hire car easily enough.

He obviously needed that head light to see up his own arse!

Just make sure to reverse back over him to finish the job as well as running him over if you get the chance.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?